un-DCC-ing a loco

EF57

Although I ordered a Bachmann Branchlines Baldwin 4-6-0 in normal DC from Hatton's, they sent me one with "Next 18 DCC".  I guess it's what we would call DCC-ready, except that it doesn't run normally on normal DC -- forward there is only one speed no matter what the control setting, backwards it runs in rhythmic bursts.  Neither they nor anyone else seem to have this engine in stock anymore, so replacing it is not possible.  Is there any way I can disable the built-in DCC capability?  I see no switch for this purpose and the leaflet says nothing about it. 

If it is truly Next18 DCC already, there should be a chip you can remove, which is the decoder.  

If there is no DCC decoder chip already installed, just the slot for it, there should be a DC through (dummy) board to install into it.   I think the Next18 ones use a dummy board for DC.   Check the documentation. 

here is what the instructions say.  i used to enjoy taking my engines apart, but nowadays it’s a lot of stress! — i sound like a grouchy old man, tho i’m only 70!

image.jpg

Edited by EF57
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, EF57 said:

I had meant to post this in the non japanese section, but then I saw this DCC area ... overlapping categories

No, this is fine. DCC questions are best in the DCC forum. I think it's expected that most people have some non-Japanese stuff that also needs some TLC. 

Is this the loco? A British model.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/251376/Bachmann_Branchline_32_002A_Class_49xx_Hall_4_6_0_4971_Stanway_Hall_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

I haven't had an issue of this kind. But I have had an issue with Fleischmann locos with a decoder designed to run on either DC or DCC. With the Fleischmann loco, it doesn't work properly on DCC unless the voltage is turned up to the HO setting. I noticed that the circuitry on European locos with DCC plug in capability isn't particularly simple. Pure speculation makes me wonder if there's a similar voltage issue here. 

Have you opened your loco yet? Can you work out if your model has the dummy or a decoder chip? If you've opened it can you post a picture of what you see inside?

To my knowledge there person here with most experience with both Hattons and also with troubleshooting the innards of British locos is @railsquid . Perhaps he could give some sage advice.

Edited by gavino200
2 minutes ago, EF57 said:

there is no other chip (through-chip?) enclosed, only nameplates.

Usually, DCC ready models have a dummy chip (ie the "DCC Blanking chip") already installed in the socket that would accept the DCC chip. What do you see when you take the lid off? Can you take some pics?

Don't know much about steam engines, OO or DCC unfortunately...

As gavino200 says, it should (presumably) have a DCC blanking chip fitted, but if it doesn't work on DC maybe it came with an actual chip by mistake? Pics needed.

Probably best to take it up with Hattons, they are generally pretty good with sorting out problems, especially if they sent you the wrong thing.

ok but here’s how it runs: forward only one speed no matter how the throttle is set; backwards in rhythmic spurts, no matter what I do.  I doubt the guys at Hattons even have model trains.  They admit I ordered non- DCC, insist that that’s what they sent me despite the box and the performance.  They have no replacement but have nothing against a return, though the considerable import tax I had to pay remains my problem.

You could try removing the blanking board and restating it, maybe it's not seated all the way.  The two coils on top try to clean up the power, I assume 1 for each direction.  If it was dcc the symptoms you see are also not how dcc would behave, so I don't think what you see indicated that you got a DCC loco.

Is the one speed real slow?

• Like 1

it also makes an unpleasant, high-pitched, humming or screeching electrical noise (not mechanical) 

Edited by EF57

I think you have the right parts, but I don't know enough to diagnose an issue, just haven't had much experience.   But I'd suspect a fault in some part somewhere.

Edited by ecfitzgerald

ecfitzgerald offers the only advice I can think of. If that doesn't work try emailing Bachmann, or just return the train to Hattons. Has it been less than 30 days?

Not sure it helps, but I had a Fleischmann that worked OK with the DCC dummy plug using DC, but not on DCC.  It turned out some wiring was wrong on the locomotive itself.  I know that is a different issue, but maybe check to see if you can trace the wiring from the DCC connector to the various places on the locomotive and that it makes sense.

I’ve been using the little minitrains controllers, which I like very much.  I did try taking the blanking board out and resetting it, to no avail.  It does sound like railsquid’s problem, except I have the juddering in reverse..  But the loco is now on its way back to Hattons, they will probably re-sell it as pre-owned.  None of my German or Japanese locos/trains have had this problem.  Thanks for the discussion!

• Like 1