Nobel prize

cteno4

CaptOblivious

Jeff,

What a wonderful opportunity. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Congratulations to your friend for her important work, and for the recognition she's getting for it! But you are very lucky, one of the few who gets to help a friend celebrate in Sweden! So congratulations to you too! Your week makes my concurrent week at Disney World pale in comparison ;)

No chance you got to meet any of the other winners, e.g. our president?

LOL, actually one of the older laureates at the banquet thought he had left his under his seat, he had forgotten they took them away from them after the ceremony so that sort of thing would not happen! There were chocolate nobel metals (those foil covered ones) all over the table so it could have been a hunt if someone did leave it behind.

one of our grad school classmates is married to Joe Palka the NPR science guy and he was there reporting on the event, giving a bit more behind the scenes view of the prize than normal.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/12/planning_for_nobel_ceremony_ta.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121330933

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121388796

was a once (in many probably) a lifetime experience. was even better as our group are her group of old friends and her brother and his family so it was just great to hang with them in stockholm for a week and attend all the grand events! The 5 star hotel that the laureats (and us) stayed at was quite swanky and a trip. probably the first and last time ill be staying at a 5 star, but quite worth it for the event. they have quite the grand breakfast buffet (like a $50 affair, luckily included in our nobel room deal at the hotel) was quite the spoiler as when i came down to breakfast this morning i had to fry my own egg... back to reality!

it was great to be around all the glitz that folks were doing for a celebration for such 'nobel' (excuse the pun, i know use a pun, go to jail...) endeavors!

cheers

jeff

Jeff,

What a wonderful opportunity. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Congratulations to your friend for her important work, and for the recognition she's getting for it! But you are very lucky, one of the few who gets to help a friend celebrate in Sweden! So congratulations to you too! Your week makes my concurrent week at Disney World pale in comparison ;)

No chance you got to meet any of the other winners, e.g. our president?

It was a great honor from Carol to invite us along. we all were so proud of her and feel so lucky to be part of her life, she really is a great friend and wonderful person to know.

Obama was in Oslo for the Peace prize and actually im glad it is a separate event, as i think the political and big wig volume would really diminish the rest of the nobel stuff. it was nice for them to have their own spotlight. it was intense enough w/o obama being there.

did meet all the laureates at one point except Mueller as she is pretty shy and speaks little english. was fun to be around the hotel and events with all of them and their entourages! The nobel folks did a very nice job of taking care of all the guests, with busses ready to take us to/from everything and a pass to just about everything in the city to get you in free and treated well!

it was quite an honor to attend this with carol and we all really, really appreciated it!

it kind of was like disney world for us as well, bit unreal, but real! quite unique!

cheers

jeff