Kato decal sheet translation

Hayashi

Does anyone have an English translation to the Kato decal sheet from their Long Engine House (23-300)? I will use the Japanese characters, but I would like to know what they say so I am placing the decals in the right place. Their assembly instructions give a general guide, but doesn't really provide enough detail to help. I don't want to make some silly mistake like placing a bathroom sign on an interior support beam.

decals.jpg

Edited by cteno4
copyright image obscured for reproduction

Lets see...

The sets of four characters 安全第一 flanking a green cross are a slogan 'Safety is Number One'. These are placed at focal points everywhere in industries, transport facilities and construction sites. Typically the big ones go over the end doors on the outside and along the side wall outside. Smaller ones go next to doors at eye level, above notice boards and control panels, and generally everywhere where there is something that could be hazardous or something workers often look at.

入 and 切 mean insert and cut, or powered and not powered. These are probably for the indicator boxes placed over shed doors and on gantres in yards to indicate whether the corresponding overhead wire is currently powered.

立入禁止 means do not enter. Likely placed at eye level by the main doors to discourage humans from using doors meant for trains, and anywhere else where generally nobody should go.

頭上注意 more or less means 'Mind Your Head'. So place where there is little headroom.

The red signs with four white characters say something about forbidding fire or flames. So no smoking, no oxy-acetylene, etc. Not sure of a specific place for those.

The red signs with two white characters, and the yellow signs with black writing are too blurry to read in the image.

As for the black characters on white square signs; 大 means big, 船 means ship (not sure what thats there for) 電 means electric, 車 means wheeled vehicle, 所 means place (ie: location), 田 means rice field (again not sure what thats for), and 機 means machine. Not sure about the rest. I am not sure what these are for, maybe identifying on the outside what the building contains and/or the name of the location. This sheet by its title does not appear to be specifically for the one kit but to be applicable to various rail and industrial buildings, the signs required by law are highly standardised today.

There are no bathroom signs included.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Space Beaver said:

As for the black characters on white square signs; 大 means big, 船 means ship (not sure what thats there for) 電 means electric, 車 means wheeled vehicle, 所 means place (ie: location), 田 means rice field (again not sure what thats for), and 機 means machine. Not sure about the rest. I am not sure what these are for, maybe identifying on the outside what the building contains and/or the name of the location.

These are all characters related to depot names

大船 - Oofuna

田端 - Tabata

静岡 - Shizuoka

電車区 (denshaku), 運転所 (untenjo), 機関区 (kikanku) - types of depot

• Thanks 1

Thanks Space Beaver and railsquid. That helps immensely. I can't read the little red signs with white letters or yellow signs with black letters even with a magnifying glass, so I enlarged that portion. Does this make them more visible?

Decal sheet enlarged.png

Does anyone know the proper translation of these characters?   言吉戸斤

The best I can come up with is "Final Stage Office," but I'm not sure that's very accurate. 

On 1/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, railsquid said:

Red ones with white letters are "大気厳禁" - "open flame prohibited". Can't make out the yellow ones.

Whoops, brain was not engaged on that one, it's " 火気厳禁"

5 hours ago, Hayashi said:

Does anyone know the proper translation of these characters?   言吉戸斤

The best I can come up with is "Final Stage Office," but I'm not sure that's very accurate. 

詰所 (tsumesho), maybe "railway staff office"? Place at a depot etc for railway staff to take breaks, and possibly sleep if they're doing shift work which requires them to be working at a time where it's difficult to get to/from home.

Edited by railsquid

I'm confused. I'm not sure where 詰所 (tsumesho) was on the decal sheet.

But I was specifically looking for the translation of the following characters --> 言吉戸斤     Sorry if I caused confusion.

2 minutes ago, Hayashi said:

I'm confused. I'm not sure where 詰所 (tsumesho) was on the decal sheet.

But I was specifically looking for the translation of the following characters --> 言吉戸斤     Sorry if I caused confusion.

Look carefully -- you show 4 kanji -- he shows 2 -- but if you look, his 2 are composites of your 4.   But as composites, they have a different meaning (and one that looks more reasonable)

A-ha. I see it now. That makes sense. The kanji were pulled from a super zoom of the Kato decal sheet below. railsquid's translation makes total sense.

Thanks to both of you!

• Like 1