Music while modelling?

marknewton

Because I've been doing some really odd shifts these last few weeks, my circadian rhythms are out to buggery, and I'm sitting here typing this at 1.51am, wide awake. While I'm working out the design for my Project Party diorama, I've got iTunes open, and I'm listening to the sort of music I first got into back in the early eighties.

My late night modelling playlist includes The Falling Joys, Pere Ubu, Juliana Hatfield, Maybe Dolls, The Numbers, Comsat Angels, Max Sharam, The Triffids, Killing Heidi, Irwin Thomas, Bughouse, The Fall, Altered Images, Ed Kuepper, The Grates, Stella One Eleven, Rebecca's Empire, The Mutton Birds, Bandit Queen, Do Ré Mi, Chris Bailey, Operator Please, Young Marble Giants, Wire, Clouds, Hunters & Collectors, Voice of the Beehive, Plug Uglies, Machinations, Penny Flanagan And The New Moon, Sandii and The Sunsetz, The Red Guitars, Motor Ace, The Chills, Ya Ya Choral, that sort of thing.

What are the rest of you listening to?

Cheers,

Mark - the insomniac.  :cheesy

Mark - What no "Taxiride"? I found them at the 2000 Sydney games and their music was playing all the time. I usually listen to the Beatles, groups from the 60s & 70s, like the Who, Queen, James Taylor, more Beatles....

I know nothing of the bands you listen to fellow insomniac. I was born in the 80s so that might be the explanation. I listen myself to different type of music. Hip Hop, Metal, African Music, Disco Punk, Electronic, Electro Hip Hop, Funk...

Some example of my music choices:

*radioinactive

*The Knife

*Jacques Brel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GawbmpViMn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Mx8AN0GF4

*Sexy Sushi

*Santara

*Peaches

And the last but not the worst...

*Divine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WAP_XdcQ1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFt9lmGy3QI

alpineaustralia

Mark - Out of the bands you listed I only recognised Do Ré Mi and Hunters & Collectors and I am supposed to be about the same vintage as you. Go figure.

I listen to a lot of dance music and 80s (but not 80's dance music).

Off topic - did any Sydney siders go to the AMRA Model Train Exhibition this weekend?

I noticed the absence of any japanese layout and noticeably Doug's layout was not present.

I must say I was tempted (but resisted) those neon signs that you can get for the tops of buildings etc. 

Mark - What no "Taxiride"? I found them at the 2000 Sydney games and their music was playing all the time.

Bernard, until you mentioned them, I'd never heard of them. I had a quick listen to some of their stuff online - I don't think I'm missing out on anything...  :grin

(The funny thing is that during the Sydney Olympics my wife and I were were actually living in Homebush, in Ismay Avenue, about a mile from the main venue. In spite of all the hype, and our close proximity to the site, we were fairly oblivious to the whole thing.)

I usually listen to the Beatles, groups from the 60s & 70s, like the Who, Queen, James Taylor, more Beatles....

I'll hazard a guess and suggest that the musicians you mention are those you were listening to about the time you left school, started work, and became independant? I say this because for most people I've ever known, this is the period in their lives that their musical tastes seem to be defined.

Cheers,

Mark.

My iPhone playlist most played songs covers opera-pop crossover Sarah brightman and Josh groban for some soothing vocals, and techno j-pop ayumi hamasaki if I feel like more upbeat. I started listening to Sarah brightman just after I finish highschool, whereas j-pop is more recent.   

I know nothing of the bands you listen to fellow insomniac. I was born in the 80s so that might be the explanation.

Yeah, could be. But just as likely is the fact that my list is predominantly non-mainstream Australian bands, so I don't imagine they have much of a profile in Europe, now or then.

But then again, even in those pre-internet global village days, we used to hear of European acts like Dirk Blanchard and Les Rita Mitsouko.

Of your list, I'm familiar with Jacques Brel and Divine. Seeing mention of Divine made me laugh, I watched "Female Trouble" and "Pink Flamingos" the other night at work during a quiet spell. I still think they're both very funny movies, but i'm not sure my workmates knew what to make of them!

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark - Out of the bands you listed I only recognised Do Ré Mi and Hunters & Collectors and I am supposed to be about the same vintage as you.

Depends - I had my 50th birthday this year.

Go figure.

It doesn't surprise me. I think that people's musical tastes and interests are nowhere near as homogenous as they are portrayed by the PR/marketing fraternity. To me, the various commercial radio stations in Sydney that supposedly cater to people in my demographic are completely unlistenable. :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I hardly recognise any of all the lists above from everyone  :grin :grin

Mark - Out of the bands you listed I only recognised Do Ré Mi and Hunters & Collectors and I am supposed to be about the same vintage as you.

Depends - I had my 50th birthday this year.

Go figure.

It doesn't surprise me. I think that people's musical tastes and interests are nowhere near as homogenous as they are portrayed by the PR/marketing fraternity. To me, the various commercial radio stations in Sydney that supposedly cater to people in my demographic are completely unlistenable. :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I agree with this one. I only listen to the morning radio breakfast show but mainly for the chatter. Often I actually turn the volume down when they start playing the songs.

Andy, you're obviously made of sterner stuff than me. I can't handle the chatter any more than I can the music!  :sad: Or maybe Melbourne morning radio is better than Sydney morning radio. Jeez, that wouldn't be hard...

(Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old man?  :cheesy )

All the best,

Mark.

What a great topic.

I recognised a few bands. My additions are  : Midnight Oil, Split Enz, U2 , Eskimo Joe , LoTel , Air , Hockey , Inxs , Icehouse - anything from the 80's etc . I crank out the 'ol Ipod when I'm in there or play a bit of guitar or drums.

Plus I have the luxury of having an electronic drum kit set up in my train room so I can actually rehearse / play whilst watching my N and HO layout operate together ( different layouts of course ).

That is my time out!!!!

What a great topic. I recognised a few bands. My additions are  : Midnight Oil, Split Enz, U2 , Eskimo Joe , LoTel , Air , Hockey , Inxs , Icehouse - anything from the 80's etc . I crank out the 'ol Ipod when I'm in there or play a bit of guitar or drums.

All good choices, Chris. But which Air? The Japanese chap, or the French fellas?  :grin

Like many blokes my age I'm a great fan of the Oils, I have fond memories of going to a number of their gigs at the Lifesaver. I was lucky enough to be at their famous Goat Island performance, never forget that night.

I only ever saw the Enz twice, once early on just after they released Dizrythmia, and one of their farewell gigs at the Regent, both memorable shows.

When Icehouse first started playing they were called Flowers. I saw them a couple of times when they had a residency at the pub in Brighton-le-Sands. I liked them, but they weren't really suited to playing in a pub rock environment.

Plus I have the luxury of having an electronic drum kit set up in my train room so I can actually rehearse / play whilst watching my N and HO layout operate together ( different layouts of course ). That is my time out!!!!

Sounds like great fun!

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

Anything that's not techno really, too much to mention.. But my playlists have been know to change from Slipknot to Carmina Burana to U2 to Rammstein to Maaya Sakamoto to Lang Lang, and much much more =)

What a great topic. I recognised a few bands. My additions are  : Midnight Oil, Split Enz, U2 , Eskimo Joe , LoTel , Air , Hockey , Inxs , Icehouse - anything from the 80's etc . I crank out the 'ol Ipod when I'm in there or play a bit of guitar or drums.

All good choices, Chris. But which Air? The Japanese chap, or the French fellas?  :grin

Like many blokes my age I'm a great fan of the Oils, I have fond memories of going to a number of their gigs at the Lifesaver. I was lucky enough to be at their famous Goat Island performance, never forget that night.

I only ever saw the Enz twice, once early on just after they released Dizrythmia, and one of their farewell gigs at the Regent, both memorable shows.

When Icehouse first started playing they were called Flowers. I saw them a couple of times when they had a residency at the pub in Brighton-le-Sands. I liked them, but they weren't really suited to playing in a pub rock environment.

Plus I have the luxury of having an electronic drum kit set up in my train room so I can actually rehearse / play whilst watching my N and HO layout operate together ( different layouts of course ). That is my time out!!!!

Sounds like great fun!

Cheers,

Mark.

Wow! - thats some impressive shows you've seen.

I missed Icehouse at the Sound Relief shows earlier this year but I did travel to Canberra to see the Oils play their warm up shows and that was fantastic.I listen to the Goat Island cd quite a lot - wish I was there but alas no. :sad:

That era in music was so much more relevant than today's 'mainstream'.

I downloaded the latest Air album from the French duo.

My late night modelling playlist includes The Falling Joys, Pere Ubu, Juliana Hatfield, Maybe Dolls, The Numbers, Comsat Angels, Max Sharam, The Triffids, Killing Heidi, Irwin Thomas, Bughouse, The Fall, Altered Images, Ed Kuepper, The Grates, Stella One Eleven, Rebecca's Empire, The Mutton Birds, Bandit Queen, Do Ré Mi, Chris Bailey, Operator Please, Young Marble Giants, Wire, Clouds, Hunters & Collectors, Voice of the Beehive, Plug Uglies, Machinations, Penny Flanagan And The New Moon, Sandii and The Sunsetz, The Red Guitars, Motor Ace, The Chills, Ya Ya Choral, that sort of thing.

Oh, great--now I'll be busy looking all of those up for the next month. :-)

Of those, I've been meaning to check out The Chills and the Comsat Angels for a while now. The others will have to go on the "check these out" list.

My "current bands" go in cycles, but lately I'ver been listening to a lot of The Sadies, Camper Van Beethoven, Robyn Hitchcock, and The Dukes of Stratosphear.

• Like 1

Scott, I somehow completely missed your reply to this thread. Sorry! Of your (then) current bands, I'm not familiar with The Sadies, at least not yet. Camper Van Beethoven, Robyn Hitchcock - with or without the Egyptians - and the Dukes, all good stuff! I was only singing along with "Take The Skinheads Bowling" the other day.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Oooh, I almost forgot....one of my favorite bands is from Australia called "Taxiride" I heard them when I was in Sydney in 2000.....but very few people in the US has ever heard of them.

I'm a huge Spacesynth fan, so it's Spacesynth most of the time. If you're wondering what exactly it is: it's a genre derived from ItaloDisco and EuroDance, which has galactic themes and lots and lots of reverb and vocoders.

One of my favourite artists is from Poland and he calls himself Galaxy Hunter. With some of his songs he can really make you feel lost in space. Hahaha. It makes me concentrate on the spaces to fill up when modelling.

Scott, I somehow completely missed your reply to this thread. Sorry! Of your (then) current bands, I'm not familiar with The Sadies, at least not yet. Camper Van Beethoven, Robyn Hitchcock - with or without the Egyptians - and the Dukes, all good stuff! I was only singing along with "Take The Skinheads Bowling" the other day.

And CvB has re-formed to the point that we actually get to see them live every few years! No such luck with the others--only once each for the Sadies and Robyn Hitchcock, and of course the Dukes have never performed live anyway, being another band in disguise. :-)

man blast from the past! Camper van was one of your big grad school bands in the 80s at berkeley. they played the bay area a lot at the clubs that had no or very minor cover charges so we saw them a lot live. they use to play with another band a lot that i cant remember the name of that had a really kick ass female electric violinist with a similar but more weird CvB vibe. oh when i win the lottery...

cheers

jeff

man blast from the past! Camper van was one of your big grad school bands in the 80s at berkeley.

As with most things, I discovered them after they had broken up and were no longer recording or touring. Lucky for me they got back together.

thats ok i have absolutely no idea who justin timerlake and the like are...

I hope that's not meant to imply that I *do*... ;-)  No, I'm usually 10-15 years behind, but that doesn't mean I'm wasting my time on what's current. :-)

Hobby Dreamer

Great Topic!

I'll hazard a guess and suggest that the musicians you mention are those you were listening to about the time you left school, started work, and became independant?

I think you're right!  We definitely seem to like the music we first focused on.. For me, it seems that I like music built on the music that formed my foundation such as the Beatles..

Does anybody here play or write?  I got a guitar last year and have been hacking away.. Its my main hobby then trams... 

Any good suggestions for acoustic guitar songs (to play)?

Cheers

Rick