My Bullet is in the mail

AmtrakBullet

I ordered my Kato 10-510 yesterday but it will not arrive until sometime in early to mid January. Today I ordered my power pack from a company that seems to be able to set up my 10-510 with DCC & Sound . . . I will contact them soon (www.SBS4DCC.com ). I have included a shot of my layout with its rust colored rails and a small section that has ballast on it. I love how easy it turned out to ballast Kato UniTrack, I use an eye dropper for initial glue application and then spread it with a small brush. I add a second and sometimes a third coat because the unitrack seems to slope down at too sharp an angle

Layout.JPG

SFlocomotive.JPG

• Like 1

Lesson learned from original track layout using foam board . . . thin pieces of foam board meant for art projects are two thin for a model railroad . . . I am switching to  1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-1.93 Insulating Sheathing Under ten dollars (US) & very sturdy. If you solder on it, it will melt instantly so be aware of that. The picture below shows five layers of art foam board vs 1 inch R-TECH INSULFOAM. You can also see the gap under the track indicating how much the art foam board will bend. I use a razor saw to cut it and then tape the edges with duct tape or you will have foam beads all over the place

IMG-0388.JPG

Edited by AmtrakBullet

The best foam for this stuff is the extruded polystyrene foam insulation, usually pink or blue sheets in the us. DuPont brand is formulaR. It resists crushing the best, shapes the best and leaves the least crumbly waste. But the waist is still a pain and best gone with a strong shop vac as it does get static charged. Shapes well with a foam cutter but mind the fumes and ventilate!

cheers

jeff