Are these sets good for a beginner?

ProManglementer

ProManglementer

Hi, I'm interested in starting a Japanese N gauge layout so I had a look at HobbySearch and I found these sets from Tomix:

Electric Locomotive N Scale Model Train First Set (Model Train)

Type DF200-100 N Scale Model Train First Set (Model Train)

I just wanted to hear some opinions on these sets. Should I buy one of them or should I go for something a bit bigger? I would like to start small and not commit to something massive.

Also, does the Tomix AC adapter support 240V?

You'll need to buy a power supply for the throttle. Depend on you home country. This may outweight the cheap savings of the set. Just do you homework before buying.

The throttles are very basic. The dont allow switch point attachments for turnouts etc. So if you do decide to continue with rhe hobby. You'll need to upgrade to a better throttle.

I'd personally look at an oval set with better throttle.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1

They can be. Some people find it easy. Some like myself always ruin them.

Locos normally have a number plate and you just need tweezers to apply. EMUs like the E235 have car running numbers. They are normally decal requiring application. But they can be left off.

Kato 99% of models have the decals attached. So no need to apply running numbers, but no chance of different running numbers with serious modeller skills.

Tomix have the decals for running numbers. So maybe if you dont like applying decals, Kato maybe be an option. If you dont mind running trains without the decals applied? Then the issue is moot.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1

I think all your ideas are neat.  Only thing about the first two you mentioned is that you'd have two controller packs.  Not a big deal.  I bought the Tomix 90950.  It comes with two basic sets (A+B) which is a 280mm radius oval with two switches , a single switch controller and a power pack.  It doesn't come with a train, and the power pack isn't for everyone.  It's a CL power pack with simulated acceleration and braking.  The CL means Constand Lights which is a feature of Tomix trainsets that have the same CL.  Some are LED, some aren't.  But the idea is that the flicker is reduced and that the lights can stay on while the train is moving or stopped.

Edited by VentureForth

Both of the first sets are very basic and the lack of function from the power pack is a problem. The Yamanote line is a much better choice as it has a proper power pack and the train can be easily expanded with the add-on sets. Also looks like this one has printed car numbers so you don't have to worry about putting on transfers for the car numbers which can be a bit daunting at first. 

My experience with Tomix multi-part sets is that the numbers are usually printed on the basic set (with the exception of possibly needing to attach number plates to the loco) but the add ons use rub on transfers. They're not too difficult to fit, use an old ballpoint pen to rub them on. The first add-on set usually has space in the book case for the basic set contents, although sometimes the intention was that the entire train would fit into the two cases from the two add-ons.

I've looked at that cheap starter set with the DF200 too, they also offer an interesting one with a small electric loco, two wagons and an unusual track layout. Rather than the standard oval of track it produces a long straight with a siding, so you can set it up on a shelf rather than a table.

12 hours ago, nah00 said:

Both of the first sets are very basic and the lack of function from the power pack is a problem. The Yamanote line is a much better choice as it has a proper power pack and the train can be easily expanded with the add-on sets. Also looks like this one has printed car numbers so you don't have to worry about putting on transfers for the car numbers which can be a bit daunting at first. 

Maybe I just don't know - What's the difference between the FG17 and N600 powerpacks with regards to functionality?  Both have a basic directional feature and throttle...  I find any of the pictures of the sides or back, so perhaps the FG17 in the beginner sets don't have AC for accessories so can't control switch points?  I didn't know any of the control packs were THAT simple.  😉