ICE: Kato or something else?

Kiran

On 3/29/2020 at 11:33 PM, Kiran said:

Did anyone order this from Kato USA? 12 car set with ZIMO sound decoders in both motor cars + head and tail light decoders in end cars. Pricy but might be worth it if the decoders work well.

https://tonystrains.com/product/kato-k-ice4-zimo-n-scale-db-ice4-12-car-train-set-with-factory-zimo-sound-dcc

That still shows as a pre-order (with expected delivery of last march).

Modellbahn Lippe sells the Zimo sound decoders etc separately if you want to put it together yourself.   I have the non sound Zimo decoders (sound was not yet available) but have not yet tried it out.

Yes, I think that's a good deal. 

I keep getting the urge to put together a Fleischmann ICI 1 and/or 2, but the prices for a full train are just ridiculous. So far I've been able to resist. 

• Like 1

Thanks Chadbag and Gavino, just went ahead and bought.

Shinkansens and TGV’s I can gauge what’s a good deal, but I can only see Plaza Japan with the DC version of the ICE 4 in stock (¥42,000), and everything else is the DCC version in Europe so it’s going to be pricey, glad I checked.

Only the Thalys PBA, Kato BR 800 (GWR) and RevolutioN Pendolino left and then I’m done for quite a while (I hope).

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Yes, I think that's a good deal. 

I keep getting the urge to put together a Fleischmann ICI 1 and/or 2, but the prices for a full train are just ridiculous. So far I've been able to resist. 

Have you seen the Fleischmann ICE 2 N Gauge DCC starter?

it looks like mighty good value to me...

There are no middle cars available for the ICE 2. Fleischmann has also stated they will never produce them. Which is why it is so cheap.

7 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

There are no middle cars available for the ICE 2. Fleischmann has also stated they will never produce them. Which is why it is so cheap.

I mean that’s weird...wouldn’t mind an OBB ICE-T if they became available again! 

23 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Thanks Ya. That's super weird. I had assumed they were coming up around the corner. 

• Sad 1

I just went through the exercise of roughly estimating the cost of putting together a Fleischmann ICE 1 train with two powerheads (one with motor) and 9-14 intermediate cars. It still makes me shriek!

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I just went through the exercise of roughly estimating the cost of putting together a Fleischmann ICE 1 train with two powerheads (one with motor) and 9-14 intermediate cars. It still makes me shriek!

How much then...I’m sat down btw lol.

5 minutes ago, GCS said:

How much then...I’m sat down btw lol.

I'm thinking with good bargains, no less than $600 for a 12 unit train including cabs. 

• Sad 1

Cheap. The recent Minitrix version is more expensive but also has interior lights in it. You don’t want the recent fleischmann version of the ICE1 anyway; it’s impossible to get a prototypical consist.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

You don’t want the recent fleischmann version of the ICE1 anyway; it’s impossible to get a prototypical consist.

I don't tend to be super worried about these kind of prototype details. But could you explain the problems anyway? 

They just sell random 3 car and 2 car packs with which it is not possible to form a prototypical consist.

not that it matters because very soon the ICE1 trains will be refurbished and shortened.

• Thanks 1

I need to see where I stand with my ICE-V  (initial ICE test train before ICE1).  I have the initial 3 car Trix set and one or two add-ons.  I don't remember any more.  Not a big priority but would be interesting to fill it out eventually.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Yavianice said:

They just sell random 3 car and 2 car packs with which it is not possible to form a prototypical consist.

not that it matters because very soon the ICE1 trains will be refurbished and shortened.

I’d be pretty interested in a shortened ICE 1 if Fleischmann released it (hopefully without that rediculous looking restaurant car 🙄)

Ive always really liked Fleischmann but there prices are always on the top end, so it would have to be spot on for me to purchase.

I like the ridiculous looking restaurant car, a lot actually. But if you don't like it, it's not uncommon to see ICE 1 consists without the restaurant car.

• Like 2
roadstar_na6
34 minutes ago, GCS said:

I've always really liked Fleischmann but their prices are always on the top end

For European standards they‘re not really on the top end 😄 

I‘d really like to have the Minitrix Capitole but for that money I can get two or three times the amount of locos/cars in Japan 😕

59 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

For European standards they‘re not really on the top end 😄 

I‘d really like to have the Minitrix Capitole but for that money I can get two or three times the amount of locos/cars in Japan 😕

Agreed. Kato TGV Reseau cost me just over £200, if that was Fleischmann or Minitrix I recon it would easily be something silly like £400/£500 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Yavianice said:

I like the ridiculous looking restaurant car, a lot actually. But if you don't like it, it's not uncommon to see ICE 1 consists without the restaurant car.

Me too. I love how it looks. 

Just received my Fleischmann ICE1 powerhead set. I love it. I also ordered the three passenger car set. Other than that, I plan to grow the train over a really long time so it's not so obvious how much I'm planning to spend on it. 

S1jNaOF.jpg

DWfHpq0.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Just received my Fleischmann ICE1 powerhead set. I love it. I also ordered the three passenger car set. Other than that, I plan to grow the train over a really long time so it's not so obvious how much I'm planning to spend on it. 

Or you can turn it into an ICE S

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

Or you can turn it into an ICE S

😜 slow down... ICE S is based on ICE2 locos + ICE 2 cars on ICE3 boogie (well, is a little bit more complex but basically is what you need before to modify the rooftop, I'm tempted to dismantle a couple of start sets.... at the end is less expensive than obtail an ICE-TD from an ICE-T)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

🤨 

sure? take care because you bought the original ICE 1 livery set and if I remember correctly the rest of cars has been sold each one separately (7441 to 7449)

the models release in set with 2 and 3 intermediate cars are the renewed version with single red stripe instead the red/purple (eg the last version DCC with sound - 4 cars base + 2 x 2 cars add-on + 1 x 3 cars add-on still on sale at 600-620€)

• Thanks 1

Yes I know it’s a bit more involved, and that it is actually 2 ICE2 power heads. But from a distance you don’t really see it.

i actually transformed my ICE1 and ICE1 cars with ICES livery and I think it looks cool.

• Like 1