ICE: Kato or something else?

Kiran

Continuing my spending spree on trains that I traveled on, next on the list is ICE. I see that Kato is coming out with ICE4. I traveled on the older series but I think I will get the latest. I also noticed that there are a bunch of other manufacturers making ICE models. Should I be looking at any others? No complaints with Kato other than having to install DCC. Not sure if there are any models with sound or if there are sound decoders that could go into Kato. Thanks as always for all the help.

Other manufacturers that make ICE's besides Arnold and Kato

- Minitrix (ICE prototype, ICE 1, ICE 3)

- Fleischmann (ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE-T)

of which Minitrix and Fleischmann will/have both re-released their ICE 1 this/early next year.

Nobody will or has produced the ICE-TD or the ICE 3 Velaro. Yet. If I were to guess, I'd say KATO will produce the latter as a side job to the Eurostar Velaro. Or Fleischmann, as they have already produced it in HO.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Arnolds ICE 3 coming in march/april 2019 is available in a DCC+sound version. But it wont be interior lighting compatible. 

This is sure tempting because of DCC and sound.

The KATO/Lemke ICE4 will be DCC compatible with the KATO EM13 motor decoder chip.    No sound out of the box.   For sound, you could use a function decoder with SUSI that will connect with a sound decoder (which will allow you to run interior lights off the function decoder plus sound) or a stand alone sound decoder in one of the non-motor cars.  (cab car or non-motor coach car).   I will do something like that myself, eventually.

To make it tidy you'd want to put it in a cab or coach car where the windows aren't  🙂

ALlso regarding the ICE 4 and DCC: According to Lemke, the main distributor in germany, decoder manufacturer Zimo has a decoder set consisting of a motor- and two function decoders in the works, supposed to be released along side the ICE 4. No mention of sound, but depending on price/availability this could also become an alternative for the Kato DCC ready trains.

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1

I do like the Arnold ICE3 because it already has DCC and sound.  I definitely traveled on that one. I haven't yet traveled on ICE4. How is the Arnold build quality compared to Kato? 

3 hours ago, Kiran said:

I do like the Arnold ICE3 because it already has DCC and sound.  I definitely traveled on that one. I haven't yet traveled on ICE4. How is the Arnold build quality compared to Kato? 

I’m not sure if the rerelease will be different than the previous iterations. I hope it is, because the original version, while nicely detailed for European standards, has no interior, “ok” engine, fragile cogwheels, and is not a butter smooth runner as KATO. It also has the most infuriating couplers ever fitted to a model train. It’s still better than the Minitrix version however, which is a plaything for kids compared to Japanese models, with stickers for windows and no lighting (have not owned that version but I read about it).

I will still buy the Arnold version though.

Edited by Yavianice
Garamma and zpelling

I have the Minitrix ICE3 (the 3 car basic set).  The windows are not stickers, but it does have no lighting and thin body plastic.   I bought a kit on eBay to add the front lights to the cab car but have not installed it yet.  I'd not get it with better options available.

4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

I’m not sure if the rerelease will be different than the previous iterations. I hope it is, because the original version, while nicely detailed for European standards, has no interior, “ok” engine, fragile cogwheels, and is not a butter smooth runner as KATO. It also has the most infuriating couplers ever fitted to a model train. It’s still better than the Minitrix version however, which is a plaything for kids compared to Japanese models, with stickers for windows and no lighting (have not owned that version but I read about it).

I will still buy the Arnold version though.

I am just curious. Why would you still buy Arnold n spite of all what you said?

1 minute ago, Kiran said:

I am just curious. Why would you still buy Arnold n spite of all what you said?

Because I want to have an ICE 3 in NS livery (which only Arnold produces), and Arnold > Minitrix as mentioned in my post.

That a model is bad in a technical standpoint does not necessarily mean I won't buy it, if there is no other option. For example, Minitrix NS Koploper has very poor engines but I still purchased 4 of them. It is a balance between how bad do I want the model vs. how bad is the model itself, and this models shortcomings are outweighed by how much I want it. I use the ICE 3 super often in real life so I would love to have a model of it, even if it technically isn't great. Maybe that the Arnold version (used to be/is) not that great is actually applicable, since the real life ICE 3 is also not such a marvel of reliability. 😀

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Yavianice said:

I’m not sure if the rerelease will be different than the previous iterations. I hope it is, because the original version, while nicely detailed for European standards, has no interior, “ok” engine, fragile cogwheels, and is not a butter smooth runner as KATO. It also has the most infuriating couplers ever fitted to a model train.

I am curious which version you have? Is it the original Arnold release (orange box) which came in a four car set with separate addon cars, or is it the later Arnold/Hornby (green box) reissue which came as complete 8-car sets? I have the latter, which has a revised drive compared to the original issue. No fragile cogwheel issues for me. I should think the new issue will have the same revised drive system.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:36 PM, Yavianice said:

Because I want to have an ICE 3 in NS livery (which only Arnold produces), and Arnold > Minitrix as mentioned in my post.

It sound like you have an amazing collection! How many ICE trains do you have in total?

On 1/10/2019 at 10:43 AM, Yavianice said:

Just 3, excluding the one for sale. 

Which one do you have for sale? I should remember to check the classified section more often.

9 hours ago, Kiran said:

Which one do you have for sale? I should remember to check the classified section more often.

The ICE-2. Not complete but has interior lighting and original packaging and is in great condition. Which is hard to find nowadays since the door markings are usually missing due to insufficient packaging by most people. 

Interestingly the german version of th page doesn't mention sound, maybe a translation error? The Decoder is supposed to have a SUSI interface though. so it would be possible to add an aftermarket sound module if it doesnt have it built in.

Edited by Gryphr

The German page is quite different from the English page (or the Japanese page, which, without translating it, seems to mirror the English page or vice versa, depending on your perspective).

The German page lists separate ZIMO decoders for motor or motor and front/rear lights function, with part numbers, in addition to the normal KATO decoders listed (FL12, FR11, EM13).  

Quite strange.  It will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

Interestingly, according to schematics, the ICE 4 will have two motor cars. The first kato EMU that has two engines, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Interesting here is the Zimo decoder with Railcom for Kato,

if the price is similar to Kato ones I'll probably switch to them for future Kato models

Hobby search sent me a reminder that the ICE4 set will be available and shipping soon. Has anyone noticed any changes in decoder offerings lately? Much prefer sound.

The only ones I see are the KATO ones (EM13 etc) and the sets from Lemke made by Zimo (but sold by Lemke).  They don't list sound.  The Lemke ones are only on the German page for the train (the Japanese and English pages just show KATO decoders) and I assume you will need to order from a German or European dealer to get those decoders.   I'll be ordering from Modellbahn Lippe once available in case anyone wants to tag along with the order and save some money on shipping.