Japanese NG in (almost) SM32

Beaver

After trying out N gauge upon arriving in Japan (cos its impossible to not run into the stuff at some point), I decided to try and get back into the sort of modelling I have been more used to previously.

SM32 dosen't really work for Japanese prototypes as it represents 2ft/60cm gauges which is a British Empire / European standard for minor and industrial railways.

However, knocking off a couple of millimetres and using 14mm/1ft makes for the Japanese minor railway standard of 2ft 6ins.

While many diesel worked lines existed in later years, I am thinking of concentrating on electric prototypes as this is more particularly Japanese, nowhere else except Switzerland has it been economically viable let alone advisable to electrify minor railways, and the less advanced electronics available in Japan at the time forced a different, more tram like approach to it.

Here is an awful sketch of the proposed first vehicle. A 4 wheel freight motor car using early, crude technology.

IMG_20181209_173001187.thumb.jpg.dfb87fd52b8a266b2f9b518c5a34e322.jpg

Yes, I mixed up inside and outside views below the frames. And cast a shadow with the camera.

I am thinking this should be a simple construction in order to get it done quickly and cheaply so I have something to run. Literally a wooden box with bits stuck to it on a 'skateboard' chassis. Battery power with manual control via roof switches.

After that I can make a few quick wagons for it to pull while working on the much more difficult project of a locomotive or passenger motor car.

My family are sending a box o track and rolling stock parts by way of a Christmas present. Can't do much but plan until that turns up.

Lets see how this goes.....

That'll be one cute critter, that's for sure!

As for the scale: I don't know what additional resources you have in mind (figures in particular), but would be 1/24 a viable alternative? The gauge would almost be spot on, and there seems to be a lot of useful stuff in that scale, be it for doll houses or plastuc car kits. (You just got to love that stove plus tea kettle from Fujimi (the same sprue is used in their Tool Set 3)).

Thanks for your thoughts.

I want to stick with 14mm scale in order to be visually compatible with 16mm scale. 16mm scale scenic bits and acessories can be used, but at this size most things can be scratchbuilt, it just takes more time.

To be honest, 1/24 bits are probably still fine to use. It's common practice to mix products from slightly different scales. After all, how big is a kettle?