Pictures of M-250 Super Rail Cargo train loading

gavino200

I'm looking for pictures of the M-250 in a depot being loaded. I'm interested in the yard, depot, etc. I'm especially interested in seeing what sort of crane is used to unload the containers and what sort of paint scheme it has. I've searched quite a lot with no success. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The containers are forklift loaded, usually right from the trucks that move them on the roads. The forklifts are top grabber stackers, able to reach between the containers and the overhead wire and even stack the containers for storage when needed.

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hk_hs_fun_hanharufun/31311630.html

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/304374/55877510

ps: A few years ago i found and posted a video (somewhere here on this forum), that shows a full container train being unloaded in less than half an hour by directly moving the containers from the train to trucks waiting in line by using several forklifts that each have their assigned section of the train. Finding a similar video about the M250 is possible, but they are mostly loaded and unloaded during the night, so not much is visible on the few photos that are shot during actual operations. The photos above were made during a press event. The yards are just simple japanese style container yards without any cranes. You can look into them easily with google maps aerial view or from street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5945418,139.7542845,1842m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Thanks 1

I appear to found one by translating and searching for "super rail cargo container loading"

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! These are incredible. Anyone about to find picture of the Sagawa depot? Especially buildings. Is the Sagawa depot located track side or is there a road link between unloading the M-250 and the Sagawa depot?

12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks guys! These are incredible. Anyone about to find picture of the Sagawa depot? Especially buildings. Is the Sagawa depot located track side or is there a road link between unloading the M-250 and the Sagawa depot?

The google maps link above points to the Tokyo depot. Streetview from the road overpass should work. The only speciality is that the M250s are loaded on tracks with full catenary, while most tracks lack overhead power above the loading area.

28 minutes ago, kvp said:

The google maps link above points to the Tokyo depot. Streetview from the road overpass should work. The only speciality is that the M250s are loaded on tracks with full catenary, while most tracks lack overhead power above the loading area.

So it looks like the Super Rail Cargo arrives at the regular depot just like all the other container trains. No special Sagawa depot then. 

Also present are what look like multiple "Mi-jack like" cranes.

I like that your link has not one but two Doctor yellow trains. 

Edited by gavino200

Over 16 minutes of M-250. It ends at a depot but does not show unloading.

Super rail cargo (SRC) is a special charge of Sagawa Express charters for about 6 hours connecting the Tokyo Currency Terminal Station in Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo and Osaka Kawaguchi Station in Osaka City Konohana District. 

Shooting Period: About 2 months from the beginning of June 2015 to the beginning of August 2015

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Let me give you more information. I have a SRC and I love it. So I've sort of made my "Container Yard" into a Sagawa Depot and have acquired a bunch of Sagawa trucks and vans. I only use about 8 cars of the SRC train as the whole train looks giant on my layout. So I use the left over containers for my Sagawa Depot. I also have some regular KoKI containers there. The depot building is just a Tomytec warehouse (B I think). I'd like at some stage to make it more "Sagawa".

I have a bunch of the kind of mobile container lifters featured above. I had assumed that these were unacceptable and were just a temporizing measure. I figured a Sagawa depot would have some sort of large crane. So I bought a Walthers Mi-jack crane, that has been on my shelf for a while. It's a bit of a stretch here as my yard is small. I'll find a picture, to post. 

My purpose here was to see if there was a specific paint scheme used by Sagawa for the crane that I assumed existed. If I had known that these small container lifters were credible, I probably wouldn't have bought the Walters kit. The kit would be fun to make, but it's a lot of work if I'm not going to use it. I'm considering selling it.

Obviously the main lesson here is that I need to do more planning about layout scenes before buying anything. 

12 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

If you are only going to run a few cars this video might interest you.

Yep. That's pretty much what I run. Except the train is usually loaded as I think it looks a bit weird empty.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of basing my yard on this piece of the Tokyo freight terminal as provided above by kvp. Probably I'll use one slice (red) or two slices (red and orange) at about a ten car length. One line with full catenary for the super rail cargo. Forklifts and top loaders will unload and load as in the videos above. 

I still need to do more research to find out what kind of buildings, fencing, security checks I need to have for this. I'll probably locate this just next to my passenger station. 

I'm still toying with the ideo of a small container ship terminal at the east end of my layout. I need to consider whether it would make any sense to have a container terminal at a distance from a container port. It seems like it would be bad urban planning to separate these two things. 

WHKhe8S.png

• Like 5

Seems like a fun plan!  Ports and railyards are often separated by a few miles.  There was a huge project here in LA 20 years ago to create a rail corridor to get short haul trucks off the road.  Seems like in japan medium and small ports are often not directly connected to the rail network, and containers or cargo may have to be trucked between them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1