The Great Model Railway Challenge

NXCALE

Thanks. A great watch and I got a few ideas from it too. Can't believe the arrogance of those Missenden guys!

Is this a weekly show? I want to see more. I especially want to see more of the layout featured right at the beginning at 0:27

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, gavino200 said:

Thanks. A great watch and I got a few ideas from it too. Can't believe the arrogance of those Missenden guys!

Is this a weekly show? I want to see more. I especially want to see more of the layout featured right at the beginning at 0:27

No problem! Yes, there are people in the show with "great" personalities.

I understand the show was a weekly one. I found out about it in the Railway Modeller Magazine (UK) Number:816 (Oct,2016) pages 806-808.

• Like 1
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, gavino200 said:

sWow! This may be the coolest layout I've ever seen. Inspiration activated!!

I totally agreed. The layout is very interesting to see. Btw,the layout is called "Cato Pass" and its author is Laurie Calvert.

The Sci-Fi / Fantasy Railway Modelling is a sort of subgenre in our hobby which is not much talked (maybe cos it polarises people... hahaha).

I understand the idea behind the layout is to have a feeling of the "Steampunk" subgenre (of Sci-Fi) where steam power was not replaced by new technologies and it is still in used in pretty much everything. I have had several small ideas about making a Sci Fi layout but I dont think I will start one anytim soon. What I like about this Railway model subgenre is that it does not have many "rules", you can do whatever you like in your layout as the "purist" hobbyists will be offended by watching your layout anyway... hahaha y nice...

Cheers,

NX

p.s. I also think it is another good idea to introduce the hobby to new generations.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, NX: said:

I totally agreed. The layout is very interesting to see. Btw,the layout is called "Cato Pass" and its author is Laurie Calvert.

The Sci-Fi / Fantasy Railway Modelling is a sort of subgenre in our hobby which is not much talked (maybe cos it polarises people... hahaha).

I understand the idea behind the layout is to have a feeling of the "Steampunk" subgenre (of Sci-Fi) where steam power was not replaced by new technologies and it is still in used in pretty much everything. I have had several small ideas about making a Sci Fi layout but I dont think I will start one anytim soon. What I like about this Railway model subgenre is that it does not have many "rules", you can do whatever you like in your layout as the "purist" hobbyists will be offended by watching your layout anyway... hahaha y nice...

Cheers,

NX

p.s. I also think it is another good idea to introduce the hobby to new generations.

Ha, yes, I see how it wouldn't be for everyone. I'm very excited about it. I've been thinking about this for a while, first as a "train jousting" train combat game. Then I think JR500 shared a video of a japanese layout that featured home fabricated locos that have no real life prototype. I was working on a loco modification project at the time and thought about the possibility of makimg 'fantasy' trains. So there was fuel vapor in the air and this video lit the match. I totally want to do this at some stage. I think sci-fi and time travel is the perfect creative excuse to bring it all together. 

Thanks again for posting this!! 

• Like 1