Hamamachi Station

Grant_T

Martijn Meerts

You could always get a 1/150 version Yamato and incorporate it in your layout, that would solve the non-train issue.. Of course, in that scale it's about 1.7 meters long, so ...

• Haha 2

A small (non)update. I haven't done anything at all railway modelling- wise since Covid began! ☹️ Hopefully once we are through winter down here my motivation will be restored.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Grant_T said:

A small (non)update. I haven't done anything at all railway modelling- wise since Covid began! ☹️ Hopefully once we are through winter down here my motivation will be restored.

You need a break anyway to recharge your creative energy. You've done some amazing work!!! 

I'm back and working on this. I've repainted all the buildings. They are all weathered and grungy as that is my ultimate intention for the look of the layout. They are just placed on the layout here, but next I will fix them down and use various foliage etc. to blend them in. 

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 12

I find this very inspirational.  I am going through this thread from the being to learn from your techniques.

I have an idea for a small layout with a seaside scene which I would like to do (unless the next episode of NHK Train Cruise sends me elsewhere ...) and this thread is very helpful for me.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments all. I've done a fair bit more and will post some more pics on the weekend. Our teaching semester finishes soon and I've promised myself a reward of some modelling time once I get through what has been a crazy year of zoom sessions and working from home. I'd like to finish this over our summer.

Also, I've been having bad thoughts again. After this is done I'm tempted to build a sectional Japanese branch line in HO. Maybe even this:

Mostly, as I said once before, the scale appeals to me for detailed scenic work. I'm wondering what is available in HO in one or two car diesel or electric units? 

• Like 3

Grant, there's a fair bit available in HO, both as kits and RTR. I'm at work right now, but I can put up a list and some photos in the morning if that would help?

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Grant_T said:

Also, I've been having bad thoughts again. After this is done I'm tempted to build a sectional Japanese branch line in HO. Maybe even this:

Mostly, as I said once before, the scale appeals to me for detailed scenic work. I'm wondering what is available in HO in one or two car diesel or electric units? 

Kato makes the KiHa 110 in JR East's green livery and the KiHa 58 in JNR colors, both ready-to-run reasonably priced DMUs. For EMUs instead, Kato also makes the old-style KuMoHa 41 + KuHa 55 two-car EMU and the single-car KuMoHa 40 series (again, both ready-to-run, reasonably priced models).

Kits are avaible for both DMUs and EMUs: Max Model has plastic kits for many different types of Niigata Transys' NDC-type diesel railcar (such as the Yamagata Railway YR-880 Series), and HobbyModel makes a plastic model for the JR West 105 Series, while Neko Pubblishing makes plastic kits for the Keio 5000 Series (and units sold to third-sector companies), and finally, there's a lot of smaller manufacturers making brass kits of numerous different types of "generic enough" old-style electric railcars from various different rural railways (Ueda Kotsu, Choshi Railway, Nagareyama Railway, Ohmi Railway...)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, marknewton said:

Grant, there's a fair bit available in HO, both as kits and RTR. I'm at work right now, but I can put up a list and some photos in the morning if that would help?

All the best,

Mark.

Hi Mark, a list and photos would help thanks. The classifications of the various Japanese rail stock and which companies sell what can be a bit impenetrable to me. I probably will look to run minimal stock on this if I build it. The image I have is of a single car wobbling along though a rural scene stopping at small stations with limited passengers.

6 hours ago, Socimi said:

Kato makes the KiHa 110 in JR East's green livery and the KiHa 58 in JNR colors, both ready-to-run reasonably priced DMUs. 

Both of these are really appealing thanks.

The new layout would probably be something like this arrangement that I built for American HO, but obviously with a Japanese theme. Perhaps I should start a planning thread (or maybe get back to work).

Desert-view-plan.jpg

02bd23a60aea6a39ae.jpg
158.jpg
156.jpg

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 8

G'day Grant, it took me a bit longer to take photos than I expected, but now I'm done. This illustrated list will give you a good idea of what's available in 1/80 scale EMU and DMU models.

spacer.png

KiHa11, Tenshodo RTR, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png

KiHa22, Tenshodo RTR, General colour.

spacer.png

KiRo25, Tenshodo RTR, Ordinary Express colour.

spacer.png

KiHa30/35, Tramway, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png

KiHa30/35, Tramway, General colour.

spacer.png

KiHa40, MicroAce, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png

KiHa48-500, Tramway, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png

KiHa52-0, MicroAce, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png
KiHa52-0, MicroAce, General colour.

spacer.png

KiHa52-100, MicroAce, General colour.

spacer.png

KiHa53, Tramway, Metropolitan colour.

spacer.png

KiHa53, Tramway, General colour.

spacer.png

KiHa28/58, Kato, Ordinary Express colour.

spacer.png

KiHa65, Kato, Ordinary Express colour.

That's most of my collection of diesel cars, electrics to follow.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 9

These are some of the electrics I have.

spacer.png

JNR KuMoHa12, Kato. RTR. There's a detail/dress up pack available for these cars with additional numbers and parts.

spacer.png

JNR KuMoHa40, Kato RTR.

spacer.png

JNR KuMoHa41 and KuHa55, Kato RTR.

spacer.png

Kotohira Takamatsu Electric Railway 3000 series, Tomix RTR. These cars have are available in this livery, overall brown and red/cream.

spacer.png

Enoshima Electric Railway 100 series car, Modemo RTR.

spacer.png

Keio 5000 series, Neko Publishing kit. This one's a work in progress. 

I've got a few other kits for EMUs in the stash, including the Zug kit for the Seibu Railway 101 series.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10475712

And I have a pair of the Tenshodo Tokyu 7200 series cars on order:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10707053

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 10

Thanks Mark, this is amazing and so generous of your time. (And what a great collection!) I can see several things there that fit my intentions for this layout.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Mark - really like your photo setting - it looks great.

Grant - I went back and looked at you work installing the water (so that I can copy it on my, hopefully, forthcoming project).  Just one question - it looks to me that there is a lip on the front fascia that holds the water.

image.png.b52c13ab2ffe04b5348484a97ac564ea.pngC

Am I seeing that correctly?

For a change of pace I am actually trying to plan out aspects of my next layout before I start.  My improvisational skills are a lot better when I am performing music than when I am improvising scenes on  my layouts ....

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
On 10/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Grant - I went back and looked at you work installing the water (so that I can copy it on my, hopefully, forthcoming project).  Just one question - it looks to me that there is a lip on the front fascia that holds the water.

Hi Tony, yes there is a lip there to give the water a bit of depth. I also needed to seal the join with the fascia to keep the liquid water in while it dried.