Hamamachi Station

Grant_T

On 10/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, Grant_T said:

Thanks Mark, this is amazing and so generous of your time. (And what a great collection!) I can see several things there that fit my intentions for this layout.

You're welcome Grant. If you need further help or advice, I'm always happy to help.

All the best,

Mark.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:26 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Mark - really like your photo setting - it looks great.

Thank you Tony. As a first attempt at proper scenery it turned out better than I expected. But I've noticed recently that the foam I used for the basic landforms seems to have shrunk a little, causing some gaps to appear between the foam and the fascia. I don't know whether I'll attempt to repair it or not, as it's served its purpose.

Cheers,

Mark.

What's on the back of that layout, I hear you say. Well, bugger all. There are just a couple of short storage tracks for the limited stock for this layout, but a bit of space to expand these in the future. The glue is still drying on this. The track is a mix of Peco code 80 and the Fleischmann I began the layout with.

008.jpg

And some additional scenic material to bed in the buildings. The tree will probably be put by the platform. Note the crazy NZ prices.

009.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Grant,

Tramway have just released their RTR model of the KiHa40-100 series, which are typical branchline diesel cars. They're available in powered and unpowered versions and various liveries. I think they're a very nice model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7
On 10/22/2020 at 3:43 AM, marknewton said:

Tramway have just released their RTR model of the KiHa40-100 series, which are typical branchline diesel cars.

That's a very attractive model. My HO plans are probably long term and may only happen once we have the chance to get back to Japan and do some shopping. (But when will that be? 😬)

I've done some more work on the layout so I'll have an update soon. 

The kato example layouts are very nice, you can fit quite a lot into a small space and still have interesting operations.  

• Like 2
On 11/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, Grant_T said:

I have had a sneaky glimpse at what the wife will get me for Christmas (I actually gave her a wishlist) and it looks like the layout will be a Kato unitrack set up. 😀 Now for the planning

Having Unitrack myself I've found it to be reasonably good, if a little hard to get hold of at times. I brought enough to make a basic oval when in Popondetta Hakata last year when I first started dabbling in N-gauge, then added to it later that year through Acorn Models when I got back home to New Zealand. Nowadays I understand Geoff at Toottoot in Invercargill stocks some track components... since he also does Marklin and I'm a Marklin enthusiast as well, I think I know where I'll be getting any future track from.

Also love your layout Grant! As always projects like this give me food for thought for when I finally upgrade to more permanent setups for my H0- and N-gauge collections.

• Like 1

Hi all, long time since I last posted. I've been busy writing a book! It's finished now so I should have time to complete this layout.  Which is good because it will be on display at the NZ model rail convention in Christchurch (NZ) next year. 😬 Really looking forward to getting back into this. 🙂

179798959_10158015622737093_3584478423884206570_n.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Grant_T said:

Which is good because it will be on display at the NZ model rail convention in Christchurch (NZ) next year.

Glad to hear that you are still working on your layout Grant! The book looks kinda intriguing...

The model rail convention sounds interesting too. This isn't the same one as the Big Model Train Show each October is it? I'm involved with one of the other clubs that exhibits at that show.

3 hours ago, Grant_T said:

I've been busy writing a book

I had a read up on Amazon. It sounds really interesting. 10/10 👍

Your layout looks cool too. I can't wait to see more photos.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:21 PM, ED75-775 said:

The model rail convention sounds interesting too. This isn't the same one as the Big Model Train Show each October is it? I'm involved with one of the other clubs that exhibits at that show.

It is the NZ convention which was postponed from last year. Gives me a good motivation to get this done.

• Like 1

I've got some bad news and some good news. Bad news is that this layout is now defunct. Long story, but my dad passed, and mum had to move in because she needed care. The layout was sent to the shed for storage but received some bad water damage which I couldn't consider fixing. So I took it apart and saved everything I could.

Good news is that I'm about to build another layout. I've got a collection of Unitrack and I'll be building a pretty simple layout with an urban station on one side, a bridge and shore scene on the other, and a hilly view block down the middle. Honestly, Covid and everything else that has been going on has left me a little down, and so I'm really looking forward to this. I'll start another thread when I get started.

• Like 2