Hamamachi Station

Grant_T

Adding some texture to the water. A few more layers to go on this.

148.jpg
149.jpg

Also, when I'm not working on the layout, I build kitset models. Today was the IPMS New Zealand Nationals and I entered. I was pretty happy with the result. *humblebrag* 😋

013.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

Good stuff, both the water and the kits 🙂

Makes me want to pull out my unbuilt kits as well. I have a bunch of ships to build, and a plane to finish. Of course, they've been In that state for about 15 years now I think 😄

• Thanks 1

I'll tell you something Grant, I've been going to model rail shows for a long time and that layout of yours is up there with some of the best I have seen, stunning workmanship and artistry. I think I hate you 😉

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Makes me want to pull out my unbuilt kits as well. I have a bunch of ships to build, and a plane to finish. Of course, they've been In that state for about 15 years now I think 😄

I sort of wish I could just stick to one hobby. 😐

Righty oh then. I've had a bit of a break (enforced by an insanely busy time at work) and it is time to get back into this. First up is a homemade track cleaning device for accessing tunnels. 😁

003.jpg

• Like 2

This year has been ridiculously busy at work and elsewhere and so the layout progress has suffered. But I'm now back into it. The plan now is to clean up and repaint all the Tomy buildings I bought in Japan last year and then start the detailing of the layout. I've made a start on the old station building.

150.jpg

Hopefully progress will be pretty fast from here on. I'd like to have this finished early next year so that I can show it.

• Like 7

Repainted and weathered then given a flat coat. The veranda supports need some work and this will need to be glued down, but I think this already sits in the environment nicer. 

151.jpg
152.jpg

Edited by Grant_T
  • Like 12

I did a little on the water today, the first time I've touched the layout in a long time. I'm so busy with work and travel it has been difficult to find the time. I stippled some woodland Scenics water effects. It gives the water some nice surface and sparkle. The water needs to dry a little, and then I might roughly dry brush some titanium white on the peaks of the little waves.

155.jpg
156.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all. I'm going to try to set aside some time for this on the weekend. Also, the wife is making noises about want to go back to Japan. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah Grant that water looks almost TOO real! Very nice indeed!!! 

Congrats! It's always great news to hear the Mrs. making noise about wanting to go back to Japan! Guess a scheduled trip to the land of trains is due?  🙂

• Like 1

Hi all, I hope everyone on is doing well with the current challenges. Being immune suppressed, I'm now working from home, but that may mean a bit more time for modelling activities. I have been tinkering on something quite different as a palette cleanser. This thing is a time sink. When we were in Japan last year I saw the Tamiya premium edition Yamato and was tempted to get it. I'd imagine it would take 6 months at least, so I'm glad I got this older less detailed version.

Musashi-008.jpg

• Like 4
Martijn Meerts

Nice! Is that the 1:350 scale Tamiya version? I've had that kit for many years, but haven't built it yet. I do have an etched detail set for it as well which has more parts than the model kit itself 🙂

I also have the Musashi, but also haven't built it yet...

On 3/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

Nice! Is that the 1:350 scale Tamiya version? I've had that kit for many years, but haven't built it yet. I do have an etched detail set for it as well which has more parts than the model kit itself 🙂

I also have the Musashi, but also haven't built it yet...

This is the 1/350 Tamiya Musashi.

As of Wednesday night New Zealand is on lockdown for a month. 😬

Martijn Meerts

Looks really good. Makes me want to start building those kits as wel...

I'm very much able to work from home, so even with a lockdown, I won't actually get any additional spare time to do stuff. Only thing I don't have now is the several hours worth of commute. On the other hand, I do tend to forget the time when I'm working from home, so that makes up for the lack of commute 😄

• Like 1

I understand this is not really rail content, but I thought I would post the completed Musashi. I promise to get back to trains now. 😜

Musashi011.jpg
Musashi012.jpg
Musashi013.jpg
Musashi014.jpg
Musashi015.jpg
Musashi016.jpg
Musashi017.jpg
Musashi018.jpg

• Like 4