Trying to standardise on one track system

Beaver

Currently I have a mixture of Unitrack and Fine Track, one point, one controller, several straights and curves, from each system. At this point I could probably switch exclusively to one or the other with little loss.

To begin with I was thinking of using both together but now realise this will probably lead to expensive duplication of parts and a lot of adaptor pieces. Each system has certain merits and problems as I see it: 

Track and point power connections;

I think Kato wins here with easy splitting of a layout into isolating sections with plastic joiners and section switches that clip onto the controllers. Not full cab control unfortunately but that matters little with only one operator. Tomix does not seem to support the use of sections very much. Kato also uses more robust connections which help with temporary setups.

I prefer the Kato fully electrofrog design. Tomix points seem to rely on flange pickup to minimise the dead sections which will not work with the finer scale wheels on European models. Being able to power points off the controller instead of a separate power supply also helps. But there are no curved points.

Track piece connections;

I prefer the very accurately aligned and tight fitting joints of Fine Track. Unitrack can be quite sloppy with parralel tracks wandering off parralel and notable power drop over distances. However, Unijoiners are replaceable whereas the integrally moulded clips on Fine Track are not.

Availability and price:

Tomix track both new and second hand is slightly cheaper in Japan. However, Kato has worldwide availability which

helps a lot if I go somewhere else.

Platforms, crossings, sheds and other track fitting scenery;

Tomix and Tomytec stuff is cheaper and more varied but generally has a more crude low detailed appearance.

Appearance:

Unitrack has a very generic look which seems like it would suit most places, periods and types of railway. Fine Track looks a little rustic to me.

Geometry:

Fine Track is undoubtedly more flexible and comprehensive. However, if I were to go for realistic complex sweeping curved track I would always pick flexi or handbuilt track on a permanent baseboard anyway.

What to do?

I'm not sure I agree with some your assessments.

I dont think Tomix and Kato ate any different to access. Lots of online sellers willing to ship worldwide.

Tomix has isolating joiners. So making sections isn't any different from Kato.

I disagree with katoftw, I'd say tomix is by far much harder and more expensive to acquire outside japan.  At least here in the US buying it without a multi week waiting time is going to cost you, and what few places do stock track only have the most basic of parts.  I agree tomix has a more flexible geometry.  I'd say if you regularly take track apart and rebuild your layout unitrack is the way to go with availability and robustness of the connectors, while if you like to plan more elaborate semi-perminate layouts with complicated trackwork where you wont need to acquire track as often  tomix might be a better bet.

Generally speaking Kato unitrack is great for on the floor layouts or for exhibition modules where repeated taking apart and reassembly, along with some rough handling is normal. The downside is the extremly limited range of tracks, even more so if you want to use concrete sleepers and the harder to get right geometry.

Tomix finetrack on the other hand is mostly for glued down and sceniced layouts, where the special track pieces (curved turnouts, crossings, double slips, 3 way turnouts) add more flexibility, along with the various track types that are available (old wooden, modern wooden, concrete, slab, elevated, street, cobblestone, grass, etc.).

So if you plan to just run on the floor or make a few ttrak modules, then unitrack is great for that. If you plan to make a permanent layout, then finetrack might be a better choice for that. Also most people just buy the tracks for their permanent layout at once, then assemble and glue it down before putting on the scenery. Kato is great for getting something simple running on the floor, but it's very hard to make something more complex, while Tomix is not really suited for the floor, but allows very complex trackwork and operating patterns to be built into a layout easily.

From the technical perspective, both systems use the same general components, like controllers, controller powered turnout controls, feeders, isolators and so on. There are small differences, like Tomix having isolating tracks for block control and isolating joiners, while Kato relies only on isolating joiners, but Kato has power feed joiners, while Tomix allows plugging in a power feed into almost any track piece. Kato turnouts are electrofrog, but that makes them uncuttable, while Tomix turnouts are usually cuttable. Tomix turnouts are fully power routing, which means reversing loops and cab control is mostly trivial, while Kato turnouts isolate only on the frog side, which means more isolators and power on/off and polarity switches are required for more complex layouts. Also Tomix has great support for automation (both off the shelf and self made), while Kato better supports DCC and full manual control.

• Like 1

It’s a hard choice as there are a number of variables that can have personal values so it’s not a universal this or that in my opinion. Also a bit of chocolate or vanilla tossed in. The good news is both are winners in working really well so you can’t go really wrong at all here! Usually it’s choosing the lesser of evils in a lot of track choices but with Kato and Tomix for sectional track it’s which just fits your needs better! 

One issue with tomix Tomix May be shipping costs increasing in the future outside japan. So far SAL has not been rising fast but if it does this could really hurt the price outside japan if it does (EMS does add a chunk on track as it’s not light). Unfortunately Walters is still really marking up the Tomix track it brings over to the US and has been spotty at stocking it. I fear the high price is going to make it fail here in the us as it’s significantly more than unitrak and usually has to be ordered special. Unitrak is stocked lots of places here and decent competition on prices, whereas special orders with walthers usually gets little discounts. 

Good news is both are good and both are doable and almost always available.

Jeff

I have both Tomix and Kato, but it is Tomix on my train and interurban layouts.  I started out with the Tomix track covers when it was only Tomix  for tram track  and tight radius curves and I have stayed  with it for the most part. For a small layout curved turnouts are huge. Most of my turnouts are older Tomix which are flawless for me, however there always seems to be someone  with issues with Kato turnouts.

Edited by bill937ca

I love the wide PC track from Tomix. Canted curves, 280, 317, 354, 391. Everything fits and clicks together and only a few tacks are required to hold down the entire layout. 

On 11/22/2018 at 4:09 PM, Space Beaver said:

I prefer the Kato fully electrofrog design. Tomix points seem to rely on flange pickup to minimise the dead sections which will not work with the finer scale wheels on European models

Have you actually experienced this? I have a fair number of recent European models and haven't noticed any particular problems running over Tomix pointwork.

I have noticed that some recent European models don't play well with the Tomix controllers I have.

9 hours ago, railsquid said:

Have you actually experienced this? I have a fair number of recent European models and haven't noticed any particular problems running over Tomix pointwork.

Actually british finescale wheelsets do have tiny flanges and could lead to contact problems on motor units. They are not really used on off the shelf stock though. For cars equipped with these, the frogs will be seen as non powered. Most european brands of track are not even precise enough to keep them from derailing though, but they run fine on both peco code55, tomix fintrack and kato unitrack rails.

Another problematic type would be wheelsets turned down for code40 running. Those flanges are tiny.

Yeah, well I guess anyone using true fine scale wheelsets isn't going to want to use Code 80 settrack anyway.

The OP said "finer" scale wheels, seemingly meaning current modern RTR models, which are not a problem (at least for me).

Hi there, Space Beaver.  Your avatar says that you're in Tokyo.  If that's the case, you're preference is your winner.  No real clear winner.

IF, however, you decide to go abroad with your stuff, you'll appreciate the local availability of Kato at many local hobby shops.  True, you can order Tomix online from Amazon and eBay, but I have found that nominally, you'll pay close to DOUBLE what the retail price in Japan is - even if you get a discount from online retailers like Hobby Search, the shipping erases all savings unless you buy a LOT and you can wait 6 weeks for it.

I did find, though, that Kato has some unique track pieces that help long coaches approach trestles in a viaduct system with their 62mm sections.  I know that's probably a bit to specific of a detail for this effort.

But my vote is that if you're in Japan, Tomix.  If you're out of country, Kato.  I think Kato Unitrack sits slightly higher than Tomix, so I think that using a pad under flex track if you wanted a permanent layout with flexibility would work better with Kato.

2 hours ago, VentureForth said:

I did find, though, that Kato has some unique track pieces that help long coaches approach trestles in a viaduct system with their 62mm sections.  I know that's probably a bit to specific of a detail for this effort.

That's actually not true. S62 or 62 mm is the Kato straight base unit length. For Tomix, this is 70 mm. Both are used as small straight pieces everywhere.

What I mean is that I don't think that there is a viaduct version of a 70mm...  I do understand that their metrics all work together like Tomix's, but at different numbers.

41 minutes ago, VentureForth said:

What I mean is that I don't think that there is a viaduct version of a 70mm...  I do understand that their metrics all work together like Tomix's, but at different numbers.

I've posted in the other thread, but the 70mm viaduct piece is 3064. You can install any 70 mm long track in it, including function tracks and signals. Most older elevated tomix tracks were viaduct base + track of your choice, which allows signals, turnouts and even curved turnouts to be placed on elevated supports. Just like in real life.

Thank you all for your advice and corrections.

Ultimately, since I have nowhere to put a permanent layout except for some sort of sophisticated fold up thing, and am enjoying being able to frequently create different trackplans for different operations, durability is a priority.

From what folks are saying, Tomix track is not/not meant to be durable enough for constant re-arrangement. Although the manufacturers own publications seem to focus on temporary setups. Plus, replacement joiners do exist.

I am wondering if in principle be practical to use Tomix track for temporary setups given careful handling and storage. Also whether such track could later transfer to permanent use after a little tidying up. 

2 hours ago, Space Beaver said:

From what folks are saying, Tomix track is not/not meant to be durable enough for constant re-arrangement. Although the manufacturers own publications seem to focus on temporary setups. Plus, replacement joiners do exist.

Fishplates (normal and insulating) do of course exist for the rails, but the joiners which hold the entire track section are moulded protusions from the ballast bed, and in contrast to the Kato Unijoiners (which combine fishplate and section joiners) are not replacable. However I have yet to find that a problem.

I am wondering if in principle be practical to use Tomix track for temporary setups given careful handling and storage. Also whether such track could later transfer to permanent use after a little tidying up. 

My main worry would be the point units, which seem a little flimsier than Kato ones, and I've had a couple fail (possibly because they got a little twisted).

Personally I'd tend towards Kato for temporary usage.