DIY Laser Structure

maihama eki

Last fall, I decided I wanted to do a T-TRAK module based on some slice of the Toden Arakawa line.  I scouted around with Google Earth and Street View and took a liking to Koshinzuka Station as a subject.  The station and immediate area will fit on a single wide T-TRAK module.

I started looking for some suitable structures to populate the module and found a few, but there are a few odd shaped buildings that are nearest the tracks.  I couldn’t find anything that would work well there, so I decided to scratch build these.  Liking the Sankei card stock kits, I decided to do something with card stock and a laser cutter.  I don’t have or really want my own laser cutter, so I decided to design the structure and send the file to Ponoko for cutting.

I did the design using dimensions from Google Earth and making some guesses from Street View.  I had this first structure mostly built before I went to Tokyo late last fall and actually saw it and took some better photos.

The first little structure looks like this.  It houses a small take-out restaurant on the first floor - upstairs may be apartments or the owner’s residence.  It is sort of an odd trapezoidal shape – like many buildings in Tokyo – built specifically for the location.

KoshinzukaStationActual.thumb.jpg.13b3e1fe091fb7659c7bce50ac2972b8.jpg

I drew up the design and made a paper model to check the size and scale.

PaperModel1sm.thumb.jpg.f12943b037d7af5e3a0e502de825409d.jpg

Then a more detailed thick paper prototype.

PaperModel2sm.thumb.jpg.7759a87d68c752368c54ac5230147a11.jpg

Finally, I created the vector file using Inkscape (free) and sent the file to Ponoko.  This is what I got back. It is cut from their 0.012 inch thick card stock.  This is a P2 size sheet.  There are 2 copies of the structure and many copies of windows and doors.

LaserCutSheet.JPG.89e6befeeaadffde84c1662ce3e3b701.JPG

After a fair amount construction, painting and detailing, this is my final version.

KSTrapBldg1.thumb.jpg.2cce960bdc6c27c7de86a225f4d314bc.jpg

KSTrapBldg2.thumb.jpg.db7184ad28c86badf0ccb0c0bdd1656d.jpg

KSTrapBldg3.thumb.jpg.3334549b3fe26275f27c69fffd7ac845.jpg

The roof is corrugated styrene that I cut from the cardstock template.

The details bits are:

Water Heaters: Kabuto Models 3D prints from Shapeways

Louvered Windows, large vents, light fixture: My design 3D prints from Shapeways

Railings, Gutter: styrene

Down Spouts, Pipes: Brass rod

Ladder, Antenna: Kobaru photo-etch pieces

Vending Machine: Sankei

Venetian Blinds: Builders in Scale

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Excellent Maihama! This is why I want a laser cutter! 

Love the mock up as well.

Cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

I love what you did. I don't have any modeling skills, but my dream would be to reproduce the line of houses along the Kamo river in Kyoto from just before Sanjō to Shijō with their noryo yuka. I'd put the Keihan mainline running along the other bank of the river. (In reality, the Keihan mainline is underground at that point.) But one can dream, bigger than one can build.

Edited by sandiway

Sandiway,

good news is drafting in 2d is very easy than with 3D and you can keep fiddling quickly and the learning loops are fast.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
On 11/6/2018 at 12:08 AM, maihama eki said:

Last fall, I decided I wanted to do a T-TRAK module based on some slice of the Toden Arakawa line.  I scouted around with Google Earth and Street View and took a liking to Koshinzuka Station as a subject.  The station and immediate area will fit on a single wide T-TRAK module.

I started looking for some suitable structures to populate the module and found a few, but there are a few odd shaped buildings that are nearest the tracks.  I couldn’t find anything that would work well there, so I decided to scratch build these.  Liking the Sankei card stock kits, I decided to do something with card stock and a laser cutter.  I don’t have or really want my own laser cutter, so I decided to design the structure and send the file to Ponoko for cutting.

I did the design using dimensions from Google Earth and making some guesses from Street View.  I had this first structure mostly built before I went to Tokyo late last fall and actually saw it and took some better photos.

The first little structure looks like this.  It houses a small take-out restaurant on the first floor - upstairs may be apartments or the owner’s residence.  It is sort of an odd trapezoidal shape – like many buildings in Tokyo – built specifically for the location.

I drew up the design and made a paper model to check the size and scale.

Then a more detailed thick paper prototype.

Finally, I created the vector file using Inkscape (free) and sent the file to Ponoko.  This is what I got back. It is cut from their 0.012 inch thick card stock.  This is a P2 size sheet.  There are 2 copies of the structure and many copies of windows and doors.

After a fair amount construction, painting and detailing, this is my final version.

The roof is corrugated styrene that I cut from the cardstock template.

The details bits are:

Water Heaters: Kabuto Models 3D prints from Shapeways

Louvered Windows, large vents, light fixture: My design 3D prints from Shapeways

Railings, Gutter: styrene

Down Spouts, Pipes: Brass rod

Ladder, Antenna: Kobaru photo-etch pieces

Vending Machine: Sankei

Venetian Blinds: Builders in Scale

This is truly a masterpiece!!  Thanks for the description of your work!

• Like 1

Love it! Beyond the design of the building, the paint and detail take it to another level. Can't wait to see new ones. Well done! 

Martin

• Like 1