Kato viaduct questions

Kiran

I am back again with lots of questions. I have a sort of layout in mind. A long oval double track viaduct with a interchange station. Shinkansens will run on the elevated loop. Inside the viaduct loop is a smaller old railway line that will have steam locomotives. Folks take the Shinkansen to arrive at the station, go down to the ground level and take the tourist train with a steam locomotive. It will be a scenic ride with a mountain, etc. Now for the questions:

1. Is there a 2 level station set that Kato sells? There is 23-125 but I am not entirely sure if this is what I want. It only seems like I can have platforms at the elevated level. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/kato-n-23125-viaduct-station-kit/

2. Can I make ground level double track elevated? and connect it to viaduct track? I don't see how I can put station platform without using the ground level track. The viaduct track has walls.

3. The question above will probably answer this but I would like to be able to put the scissors crossing or one of the double track crossings at either end of the station again at the elevated level. Is this possible?

Thanks a ton for any information.

1 no

2 you use elevated station to make a station. Not viaduct pieces.

3 the double scissors is just double track. Take the double track out viaduct pieces and replace with double scissors. You need 310mm of viaduct.

Edited by katoftw

I also have the Kato V15 set that includes 20-051 and 20-052 which are the 310mm widening track. These don't really fit on to a standard viaduct. Can I elevate them using peers? They would be nice to have to put in an island platform.

Just now, Kiran said:
17 hours ago, Gryphr said:

As for Question 1:

Nothing from Kato, but Tomix did sell a station exactly like that recently, it seems sold out at HobbySearch but some other stores might still have it in stock:

Station: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10536121

Extension Set: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10565518

I also have the Kato V15 set that includes 20-051 and 20-052 which are the 310mm widening track. These don't really fit on to a standard viaduct. Can I elevate them using peers? They would be nice to have to put in an island platform.

I was hoping to use Unitrack for this layout but if I can find the Tomix station, I might use Finetrack. It is a mess trying to combine Unitrack and Finetrack when you want to have a double track main line. I don't even know if it is possible.

310mm is just 248mm + 62mm.  Since the elevate station bases come in 124mm lengths, the 310mm widening track will work.  You just need to position the track pieces correctly.

Kiran,

the problem with trying to mix Kato and Tomix double viaduct is they have two different track spacing. Kato tracts are spaced 33mm and Tomix 37mm, so transitioning between the two is tough, no standard pieces made to do that. There are some ways to wiggle it, but they are not really clean. Best to keep to one or the other for the double viaduct.

cheers

jeff

5 hours ago, Kiran said:

I was hoping to use Unitrack for this layout but if I can find the Tomix station, I might use Finetrack. It is a mess trying to combine Unitrack and Finetrack when you want to have a double track main line. I don't even know if it is possible.

One alternative is to use the Kato station plates but with home made or modded piers that have enough clearence for the tracks below. Or maybe using Tomix piers and crossbeams for holding up a Kato station. They almost match the Kato height, but you'll need glue to keep this hybrid construction together.

I am going to get the Kato viaduct station 23-125 and see how it goes. I know it doesn't let me do the track at lower level without modification but I will see how it goes. Can I use 23-125 with double track viaduct track or is it only compatible with single track viaduct?