Japanese steam, historic

Martijn Meerts

That car set is the new version of the train. The cars got a new paint scheme, and the loco had a fresh coat of paint as well.

Kato already released a similar set with the previous colour scheme (creme with dark red instead of white with blue)

One thing to note, the new C57-180 that belongs to this set will probably have the motor in the boiler room instead of in the cabin. While this looks much better, from what I've heard and read so far, running characteristics are really bad :/ Might still have to look into this one, although considering I have the previous version it'll cause some problems. I don't like the idea of having 2 C57-180's =)

Actually, now that I think of it, I believe MicroAce has also announced a C57-180 in the new Banetsu Monogatari version. So that might be a better choice to go along with the cer set.

I hope the micro ace C57 180 will be a good runner. I have preordered one but I am worried as JMR describes the model "Powered on 3 axles, power pickup with 3 axles"

Pickup on 3 axles only? ??? I hope this is not true as the other micro ace steamers pick up from tender wheels,too.

I am surprised to hear that the kato c57 is not a great runner, as I had american n scale from kato and liked it. There are rumors that the running of the kato C62 is not as well, too. Wonder if thats really the case and why?

Martijn Meerts

I haven't ordered MicroAce's C57-180 as I already have the older Kato model. The model I've got still has the motor in the cabin, and that one runs just fine. The power pickup on only 3 axles does seems a bit strange really. I have various MicroAce steamers, and I do believe most of those at least have pickup on practically all axles. I'll check the new C62's to see how many axles they get the power form, I would imagine the C57 is similar in build as the C62's.

Kato's C62 supposedly doesn't run well because they've placed the motor in the boiler room. It makes the construction more difficult and the weight of the loco will be a lot less then when the motor is built into the cab. It's really about personal preferences, I don't mind having the motor visible in the cabin really ;)

Martijn Meerts

Just checked the MicroAce C62's, and they have power pickup from the tender as well, so I can't imagine the new C57 doesn't have that.