Looking for Japan Past the Concrete City Streets - A train trip

disturbman

Is a Japanese TV show, a documentary that follows a girl and her trip outside of Tokyo. She takes small local trains through all the little towns of north Honshu and find many small, less known things while meeting locals along the way. I hope you have 30 minute to journey through bits of Japan.

Episode 1: http://blip.tv/play/AaGJJYebcQ

Episode 2: http://blip.tv/play/AaHxWoebcQ

Episode 3: http://blip.tv/play/AaKFTYebcQ

Follows a girl and her trip outside of Tokyo. She takes small local trains through all the little towns to find many small, less known things while meeting locals along the way.

Martijn Meerts

A Japanese girl that wants to see more of Japan, and does so traveling by train, and seems to enjoy it... That's pretty close to perfection right there ;)

Vincent - My first reaction was "a 30 min film?" and then I started watching it and I was hooked. The last video (4th) was a surprise. Excellent find, I enjoyed watching it. The only thing I wanted to know was with all that traveling where did she sleep?

Reminds me of the vacation SteveH planned out for himself. 

Martijn Meerts

they're lovely, makes me want to go to Japan even more..

Also makes me want to study Japanese more, English won't do in those small towns ;)

Thanks for posting that.  The girl is Maki Horikita, before she became really famous.  I doubt the high school students she encounters would be so nonchalant if she did the same thing now.  Also, probably wouldn't see her now do such a geeky thing like leafing through a jikokuhyou (timetable), as she does in the video.  Anyway, a good program- I had the opportunity years ago to ride the Nanbu Jukan Railway railbus before it was abandoned- a pleasant memory indeed- a real gallopin' ride, transmission on the railbus was a gear mashing manual affair.

No the perfection is when she is shinkansen shasho and can make you ride in the cab with her. But the first high school was close to perfect, I'll admit that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztjrS0mHkBY&feature=player_embedded

A good recent-looking video.  You can see how the digital ATC works in the driver's cab.  Also interesting and new to me is JR Tokai's phonetic codes for the passenger seating A~E

A- America

B- Boston

C- China

D- Denmark

E- England

Thanks for posting that.  The girl is Maki Horikita, before she became really famous.  I doubt the high school students she encounters would be so nonchalant if she did the same thing now.  Also, probably wouldn't see her now do such a geeky thing like leafing through a jikokuhyou (timetable), as she does in the video.  Anyway, a good program- I had the opportunity years ago to ride the Nanbu Jukan Railway railbus before it was abandoned- a pleasant memory indeed- a real gallopin' ride, transmission on the railbus was a gear mashing manual affair.

She's famous? Just from the video? I can't see that happening in the USA unless she had a pop song out on the radio or a TV series along the lines of Miley Cyrus.

She's famous? Just from the video? I can't see that happening in the USA unless she had a pop song out on the radio or a TV series along the lines of Miley Cyrus.

After reading her wikipedia page I can say that she has become famous because of a soap she did, not because of that show. i'm pretty sure that a girl (even pretty) making a show of 30 minutes about trains will not become famous instantly. Even if this show is japanese. ;)

After reading her wikipedia page I can say that she has become famous because of a soap she did, not because of that show. i'm pretty sure that a girl (even pretty) making a show of 30 minutes about trains will not become famous instantly. Even if this show is japanese. ;)

After reading about her in Wikipedia now I understand why she's famous, she's an professional actress, model and singer. 

Japanese chicks become famous for just blinking, in a swimsuit. I mean honestly, has anyone done a count on how many new gravure idol appear or retire weekly in Japan. It makes the number Kamen Riders look like Doctor Who!!