Tomytec - New Releases

The public transit tunnel under downtown Seattle is (IIRC) shared between trams and buses.

If memory serves correctly, the bus system relies on the presence of an embedded wire (I had plans to do something along those lines under my home-made roads at one point) which in theory would be easy enough to add under Tomix tram tracks, but then I wonder if the presence of two other bits of linear metal would confuse things...

• Like 1

Nice to see that Tomytec are releasing the Chikuho 2000 series, unit 2004 in the Nishitetsu Yellow paint scheme as well as unit 2003 in blue, due out in February.

Unit 2003 has already been produced twice  in a slighter darker blue as well as the beige/maroon and yellow twin livery.

2004 has been released previously in its green livery. 

I would have preferred another number choice as I believe all 7 of the units carried the yellow Nishitetsu colours but i’m happy they’re releasing this colour scheme again. 

5 of the 7 have now been scrapped with only 2003 still running in its bright blue paint scheme.

https://diocolle.tomytec.co.jp

Also some SDF vehicles and  HO narrow logging trains.

March 2023, all N scale:

• Like 2

The Moving Bus is back and the bus stop is different this time.

It is a bus stop unit compatible with the SORA and BM-04 power units of the running bus system.
- You can reproduce stopping and departing with the switch on the bus stop side.
- Power units of BM-01 to 03 can also be stopped and started manually.
* The difference from the old product BS-001 is that the variable speed magnet holder and the magnet holder for automatic stop and departure at the bus stop are not included.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10934248

As for the motor drive there are some notes:

* Some models require processing such as cutting the body, window glass, and part of the power.

* BM-01 to BM-03 driving functions [automatic stop and start] and [2-step speed variable] are not compatible with this product <BM-04>. Regarding roads, [intersections] and [stopping roads] are not supported.
*BM-01, BM-02R, BM-03 will be discontinued.
* Do not bring magnets or other magnetic objects close to the running bus. Malfunction may occur.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10934243

Edited by bill937ca

I don't understand the mention that intersections are not supported with the new bus chassis. The diverging route on an intersection works by simply varying the wire that the steering magnet follows, heading it toward one route or the other. I don't see why this steering action should not continue to work. If it is the case that this does not work, the Tomytec Moving Bus System is not much of a system, or have much layout potential, without the intersection pieces.

Also, I am not clear on whether the new chassis can retrofit into the the original (first) powered bus shell (Tokyo HINO hybrid in set A1), the American GMC bus shell, and the MB Citaro bus shell. Does anybody know?

Rich K.

• Like 1

There is information on the HS web site that is not on the Tomytec site.  First thing is that it says "is compatible with most of the models that were compatible with BM-01 to BM-03" which  would exclude he American GMC bus shell, and the MB Citaro bus shells.  It mentions below some cutting may be necessary.

The bus collection new power unit BM-04 has several types of dedicated adapters and is compatible with most of the models that were compatible with BM-01 to BM-03.
-Also compatible with [current models] such as Isuzu Elga (LV290), Hino Blue Ribbon (KV290), Mitsubishi Fuso Aero Star (MP38), Aero Ace (MS0), etc.

[Compatible car model list]
- Toyota
・SORA
- Hino Motors
・RVs
・RU638AA
・RU638BB
・Selega
・HT/HU
・HU2PM
・HU8J
・HL2A
・KV280
・KV234
・KV290
・HIMR
- Isuzu
・ Gala
・CJM500
・Cubic L scale
・LV280
・LV234
・LV290
- Mitsubishi Fuso
・B9
・MS615
・MS725
・MS729
・MS8
・MS9
・MS0
・MP118N
・MP218/618
・MP35
・MP37
・MP38
- West Japan Body Industry
・Neo Royal
・58MC
・96MC
- Fuji Heavy Industries
・R13
・4R110
・3E
・5E L scale/N scale
・7E
・New 7E non-step
- BYD
・K9
*The above car model list is information as of November 2022.
* Only bold scales are available for vehicles and models listed in bold.
* Some models require processing such as cutting the body, window glass, and part of the power.

1 hour ago, brill27mcb said:

I don't understand the mention that intersections are not supported with the new bus chassis. The diverging route on an intersection works by simply varying the wire that the steering magnet follows, heading it toward one route or the other. I don't see why this steering action should not continue to work. If it is the case that this does not work, the Tomytec Moving Bus System is not much of a system, or have much layout potential, without the intersection pieces.

Also, I am not clear on whether the new chassis can retrofit into the the original (first) powered bus shell (Tokyo HINO hybrid in set A1), the American GMC bus shell, and the MB Citaro bus shell. Does anybody know?

Rich K.

You're assuming the magnets/wiring/roads are the same in the new version.  Which we don't know.  There is clearly some major changes with this newer version.  As bus stops and intersections have all have to have redesigns.

Edited by katoftw

Better that the new bus chassis is now one size fits all. Lots of speculation at the moment so until it’s in our hands to test, we can’t really say anything at this stage. 

The important thing is that Tomix saw fit to reintroduce this in to their range and I hope they build on it in the near future. Worst case, if nothing from the old system will work, current assumptions are that the bulk of the track should still function, it’s not a major issue to have separate bus lines going to different places which could converge at a station area. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, brill27mcb said:

don't understand the mention that intersections are not supported with the new bus chassis. The diverging route on an intersection works by simply varying the wire that the steering magnet follows, heading it toward one route or the other. I don't see why this steering action should not continue to work. If it is the case that this does not work, the Tomytec Moving Bus System is not much of a system, or have much layout potential, without the intersection pieces.

i agree, don’t see how this can effect the steering mech if it works with the rest of the track for steering. Even with the old faller system this was based on the steering is pretty fundamental.

jeff

I literally went crazy on the bus news!!! Those buses are FANTASIC, gonna get 3 of each for the open roof bus and the Fuji Q BYD bus!

It's only marginally (110 yen) more expensive than previous releases. You were just not paying attention. Will be around 1900/2000 with the usual discounts off MRSP.

How did you get to that calculation? Last Shimabara 2 car set I purchased was 2800 yen about 2-3 years ago. Now it's 2750 for 1 car.

Granted it was 2-3 years ago. But that a 95% increase in price in 2-3 years.

edit//  Never mind. It was 6 years ago and is was 3300 yen. 66% increase in 6 years. Isn't so bad.  But still very high.

Go to show how little Tomytec stuff I buy. 😂 

Edited by katoftw

In the same poster they have a two car set listed for the ¥2750 like the one car set. I seem to remember the one car sets usually being almost the price of the 2 car sets in the past. For the last four years the one car sets look to be at this same price. Looks like the last at a lower price was sept 2018 at ¥2420.

The price of the two car sets has risen slowly but not super fast given covid, inflation, supply chains, oil, etc, all of which feed into a little plastic train.

jeff

Somehow, I can't find the entire poster.

7 hours ago, maihama eki said:

The Railway Collection The Bus Collection Asa Coast Railway DMV-931 `Mirai eno Naminori` w/Mode Interchange. The price though...

That's probably because of the rail.

5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I think it made sammy pass out!

jeff

What just happened? Where am i? 

Aside, immediately ordered 2 of them, contemplating on the 3rd... how is it so much more expensive ponders me... I know it does have the mechanism and scenary piece and all but... that price... hhhhmmmmm 

would be great if the motor can be lowered and made to run on actual Tomix tracks! 

There seems to be a trend of the 'Sayonara-Arigato' bus sets now as well... 

• Like 3

When I saw the poster I heard a loud THUNK and I had a mental picture of sammy slumped at his computer.

they say the wheels don’t turn very freely, so it sounds like a new axle mech would be needed. Wheels also look pretty large, maybe some Z scale wheels would be better. You could probably fit a T scale motor in there and maybe under the seat as they are only like 5mm in diameter and have a tiny gear box. Would take some fiddling but should work if you were very motivated. Not sure how smaller wheels would do on N scale flangeways and would be hard to get much weight into it if you want the interior open.

jeff

• Haha 1