Yugoslavian Class 661 EMD G16 Diesel in HO

martin67

Hi everybody,

time to show my latest entry to my collection of exotic trains. It's a Yugoslavian Class 661 Diesel (Type EMD G16) which was imported from the USA from the beginning of the 1960's. It was used for all duties all over the JZ (Yugoslavian State Railways) network. A few survive until today in Serbia and Macedonia. Some have been rebuilt with low short hood and aircon.

The model comes from a "backyard manufacturer" (Slavko Yovanovic) in Serbia and is hand finished according to my personal wishes. I wanted to have a JZ engine (NEM era IV), based in Zagreb (now Croatia), hence the "Jugoslavenske Zeljeznice" lettering in Croatian language. Versions of other Yugoslavian regions are possible, also post war Versions of the new Balkan countries (and even Israel Railways or Kowloon-Canton-Railway Versions). Technically, these models are rather basic (pre DCC era), the loco Body is cast resin.

33970701zu.jpg

33970702kj.jpg

33970703sp.jpg

33970704vn.jpg

33970708jm.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 10

It appears that the server those Picts are on has an expired site certificate so may not be loaded in many browsers.

jeff

I have not experienced any problems with this hoster and never saw a pop up telling about an expired certificate.

Martin

Dear Martin,

not few but many have survived years behind and still make the main engine on the Serbian railways, but also in Macedonia, Montenegro and Bosnia. Yes, its really intriguing that they are still functional, after more than 5 decades of service. While Europe back than was relying mostly on European made locomotives, Yugoslavia made a political agreement with USA and bought 220 of EMD G16. Acc to my knowledge mediator in this process was USAID, that in 1959 donated first 20 engines for testing, and this was one of first missions of this US government agency. In 1972 Yugoslavia bought limited no of EMD 26. Few of them can be found today.  One is located in my hometown (Nis) where she has a 24 hours replacement duty in case of malfunction of any other locomotive.

All the best

Hello everybody.

I bought a HO model of the EMD G-16 661-164.
If its overall appearance is really very pleasant and quite faithfully reproduces the real locomotive, I have however some remarks to make about its finish.
- Matte varnish coat does not hold and detaches easily
leaving the glossy paint to fade.
-Similarly, the cream-coloured bands on the locomotive chassis are not resistant and are removed at the slightest manipulation.
-The horns on the cabin roof are rather fanciful and look like nothing.
-Glazing is not glued and falls easily enough.
-The coupler on the end is not long enough and should extend slightly beyond the buffer alignment.
-The flywheel on the engine is absolutely useless, too small in diameter!
-It is unfortunate that this locomotive does not have its 6 drive axles.
These are my first remarks about this model, in the hope that they will serve to improve future achievements.

With my regards....

Edited by Mecaso
trainlover

Is there perhaps a website where i can buy thid model? Just asking since i live in serbia, the country that has these beauties, and they've become my favorite diesel locomotives in serbia. And i also ask if there's an option to buy an ho scale model of these engines because i'm makimg my own ho scale world and i'd love to have them run on tracks