Kato "DCC Friendly" Database

On 10/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, EdF said:

New DCC Friendly list for Kato.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qRGTOaq-4F89xph3ZxL5iKxM5jptkeoNw77t3X-STY4/edit?usp=drivesdk

If you have new data or updates, please reply here and I will incorporate the changes

Please keep replies to just updates, if you have installation issues/questions, please start a thread for that model.

Thanks, Ed

Wanted to add a locomotive, info directly from Digitrax Technical Support a couple of weeks ago:

Kato 3093-3 Electric Locomotive EF61 (Brown) used Digitrax DN163K4A.  I recently purchase both, and will post my experience with them when I get the chance.

Mike

• Like 4
On 10/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, EdF said:

New DCC Friendly list for Kato.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qRGTOaq-4F89xph3ZxL5iKxM5jptkeoNw77t3X-STY4/edit?usp=drivesdk

If you have new data or updates, please reply here and I will incorporate the changes

Please keep replies to just updates, if you have installation issues/questions, please start a thread for that model.

Thanks, Ed

Here's another - I just installed a Digitrax DN163K1D into my Kato DD51; not too hard, their instructions missed a small step or two; my biggest issue is that I had to remove the clear plastic that leads to the headlights (is that a "lightpipe"? - I'm new at model railroad) to get one side of the body back on - the decoder is longer than the stock one.  Don't know if, or how, it will affect the headlights on that side, we'll see.  Also, after reinstalling the plastic body, the "center cab" piece is loose.  Shouldn't pose much of a problem, I'm thinking.  Anyway, there it is.

Mike

Edited by Mlminto
1 hour ago, Mlminto said:

Here's another - I just installed a Digitrax DN163K1D into my Kato DD51; not too hard, their instructions missed a small step or two; my biggest issue is that I had to remove the clear plastic that leads to the headlights (is that a "lightpipe"? - I'm new at model railroad) to get one side of the body back on - the decoder is longer than the stock one.  Don't know if, or how, it will affect the headlights on that side, we'll see.  Also, after reinstalling the plastic body, the "center cab" piece is loose.  Shouldn't pose much of a problem, I'm thinking.  Anyway, there it is.

Mike

Means you used the wrong decoder.  As the DD51s have two different lightpipes depending on the version.  The decoders have the leds in different locations on the light boards to accomodate for this.  There should be no reason to remove the lightpipes.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10764391

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10756613

Not digitrax, but these links should the difference in the boards.

Edited by katoftw
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Means you used the wrong decoder.  As the DD51s have two different lightpipes depending on the version.  The decoders have the leds in different locations on the light boards to accomodate for this.  There should be no reason to remove the lightpipes.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10764391

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10756613

Not digitrax, but these links should the difference in the boards.

Maybe, but Digitrax posted this page:  https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB124/kato-dd51-installation-of-dn163k1d/ showing the decoder I'm talking about.  Mike

I don't know about Digitrax but TCS makes different variants of the same basic decoder board with different LED configs etc.  You can also modify different ones depending on whether they use separate LED on legs or SMD LED or whatever.  For example ones with legs you can take of, cut legs, and solder back on if you need them shorter...  I am not familiar with the DD51 as I have not tried to add decoders to  my DD51 yet.  But some of the other Japanese locos from KATO I had to change LED configs on the decoder compared to stock as they used different variants of the same basic KATO lightboards.

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1

Just remember that while a Digitrax decoder may fit (same shape as a light board replacement), you sometimes have to modify the LEDs.  This just comes with the territory.

KATO 10-1305 (Tokyu 7000) has three working slots for FL12, although for full consist operation, only two FL12 will be necessary.

The motor car seems to work with the EM13, but there doesn't seem to be space for it. I'll have to check once I get one for testing.

Unfortunately, the motor car does not have space for the EM13. Converting this car to DCC will require a different approach.

KATO 10-1479 (JNR 485-200) has slots for both the EM13 and two FL12. Still need to test it, but looks like it'll be easy to do.

Tested and ready to go!

Edited by Giugiaro
Updated info.

I opened one of my Iida-Line EMUs, based on how the platine's layout in the motor coach looks, I wonder if an ESU "widebody" decoder (58941) fits.

Edited by Steve

They can electrically, but the board thickness would probably need modification to the seat plastic to allow space.  I want to do this for my e257s, just haven't gotten to it.

Edited by EdF

Steve:  It does look like the ESU widebody is a "drop-in" replacement for that lightboard from KATO.  The ESU is thicker so you'd have to see and potentially adjust things on your train side to fit the thickness, and the lights need to be added and adjusted.

"drop in" of KATO lightboard replacements in Japanese trains usually requires light adjustments, or dealing with the thicker boards of the drop-ins.  I've not used the ESU but have used the TCS equivalents.

Did someone tried to build in an ESU 58731 (EM13 Layout) Sound Decoder into a 151/481/483/485/489 Series EMU and on which place would you place the speaker in the motor car.

I noticed that those newer "Old Type Passenger Cars" with Tail Light from KATO are also DCC-Friendly for FL-12 Decoders.

DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.2d1c48c58887a31128ea82636bb2a785.JPG

From my Collection I can confirm:

5134-1 (42 Series)

5257 (32 Series)

5269 (61 Series)

The Baggage Cars and the End Cars from the 10-034 (Brown) and 10-034-1 (Blue) Sets are also DCC-Friendly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/7/2023 at 11:46 AM, Steve said:

Did someone tried to build in an ESU 58731 (EM13 Layout) Sound Decoder into a 151/481/483/485/489 Series EMU and on which place would you place the speaker in the motor car.

Can you open it up and snap some pics of it inside?  And what speaker you have?

Hey every I just installed a EM13 into my Series E531 I didnt see it in the database so Im adding it here Its the Kato 10-1843 4 car set pictures of the installed decoder are below. 

20231012_200244.jpg

• Like 3

DN63K4A fits into 3095 EF55 without any modifications of the Body!

I tested it, the Body fits on the Chassis without any issues.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 2

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I have converted a few Kato locos with DRM decoders and it all works well. Glacier express GE4/4, EF510 (they both take the same Nk540 decoder just drop in. And the DD51 with the ND51 decoder.

I have another question. I have the Seibu 101 series new color (10-1753) and it is not DCC friendly. I am searching for a decoder or tutorial. Soldering etc no problem. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm looking at the DZ126 or the TCS CN.

Thanks!

On 1/13/2024 at 11:16 PM, Fritz said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I have converted a few Kato locos with DRM decoders and it all works well. Glacier express GE4/4, EF510 (they both take the same Nk540 decoder just drop in. And the DD51 with the ND51 decoder.

I have another question. I have the Seibu 101 series new color (10-1753) and it is not DCC friendly. I am searching for a decoder or tutorial. Soldering etc no problem. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm looking at the DZ126 or the TCS CN.

Thanks!

Which DD51 model, if you don’t mind me asking.  I’ve been hunting DCC ready Kato models because I never learned how to solder and don’t want to accidentally ruin an expensive loco.  Also, has anyone tried to convert the 10-1541 787 Series?

Edited by Kotori
On 1/16/2024 at 2:36 PM, Kotori said:

Which DD51 model, if you don’t mind me asking.  I’ve been hunting DCC ready Kato models because I never learned how to solder and don’t want to accidentally ruin an expensive loco.  Also, has anyone tried to convert the 10-1541 787 Series?

Hi, I have the Kato DD51 7008-F. The decoder I used is from DRM the ND51 (https://drm.life/product/nd-nd51-dcc-decoder/)

The other decoders I used for the EF510 and the Glacier express are from the same company. It's based in Taiwan and they're really responsive over email to answer any queries etc.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Fritz said:

Hi, I have the Kato DD51 7008-F. The decoder I used is from DRM the ND51 (https://drm.life/product/nd-nd51-dcc-decoder/)

The other decoders I used for the EF510 and the Glacier express are from the same company. It's based in Taiwan and they're really responsive over email to answer any queries etc.

Do the DRM decoders support RailCom or RailCom+ ?  Their website doesn't give many details

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I think it's best to ask them.  The person I've been communicating with is quite responsive and knowledgeable.  There are instructions provided to each decoder that you can download.  http://drm.com.tw/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/ND_ND51_V100_2008_english.pdf

Thanks.  That didn't say anything about it so I'm guessing they don't.  When I have a moment I'll drop them a line