Kato "DCC Friendly" Database

1 hour ago, jozasa said:

Kato E-261 Saphir Odoriko, refs. 10-1661/10-1644 is NOT DCC-ready. You have to hardwire everything, motor car and end coaches for directional lights.

Done and tested with an ESU Loksound for the motor car and two Lenz Silvermini+ in bipolar configuration for the end coaches.

It is a bit tricky in the motor car since the copper strips have an exact factory position and if you don't keep it, they will touch the metal frame and cause a short-circuit.

Necessary to drill small holes in the metal frame and/or plastic base in order to pass wires to the decoder

A really beautiful train!

SAM_5825.JPG

That's surprising. Thanks for the information. Did you take any other pictures of the process? Could you make a short guide for the process while it's fresh in your memory?

roadstar_na6

Weird as both the Kato Website and the Assy-Part PDF says it's DCC-ready for those slide-in-decoders Kato likes to use.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jozasa said:

Kato E-261 Saphir Odoriko, refs. 10-1661/10-1644 is NOT DCC-ready. You have to hardwire everything, motor car and end coaches for directional lights.

Done and tested with an ESU Loksound for the motor car and two Lenz Silvermini+ in bipolar configuration for the end coaches.

It is a bit tricky in the motor car since the copper strips have an exact factory position and if you don't keep it, they will touch the metal frame and cause a short-circuit.

Necessary to drill small holes in the metal frame and/or plastic base in order to pass wires to the decoder

A really beautiful train!

Captura.JPG

SAM_5825.JPG

The motor cars are setup for a different type of decoder. The frames are the same.....

image.png.1fae68f3f8004e0b7014e27ac659ce9a.png

I prefer ESU decodes as well 

image.thumb.png.a727cacc07f19b65cf443b3ac8c95227.png

26 minutes ago, inobu said:

The motor cars are setup for a different type of decoder. The frames are the same.....

I prefer ESU decodes as well 

I don't understand your statement inobu.

12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I don't understand your statement inobu.

@inobu is saying that it is DCC ready, just for a different kind than the poster had used.  He inset a snapshot showing an EM13 style decoder installed.

Then he said he prefers ESU as well (like the original poster was using) and showed the EM13 style ESU Loksound

Just now, gavino200 said:

So....it does in fact fit the EM13? Just not the "EM13 style" ESU decoder?

No, it should fit all EM13 style, including the Loksound variant (the original poster prefers ESU).

Ok. So it fits any EM13 style decoder. But if you want to install a different style decoder, you need to hardwire it. That's sort of a given for any "DCC friendly" loco. I mean, you can't put an EM13 into a European loco designed to take a 6 pin decoder. (Not simply anyway). But unless I'm reading him wrong, the OP doesn't seem to be saying that he just as a preference for an ESU and chooses not to install an EM14 decoder. It sounds more like he doesn't know about the EM13 style decoder at all. He is clearly saying that as far as he can see, the train isn't DCC friendly. 

It would still be useful to get a guide on the install for anyone who doesn't want to use an EM13 type. Personally I don't like the EM13s but would use one, or a piggyback board for convenience. 

2 minutes ago, inobu said:

Most of what I say people don't get till years later.......

Inobu

Don't give up, inobu. Expression is an art. Keep trying!

14 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Don't give up, inobu. Expression is an art. Keep trying!

It's not about giving up......I'm just selective in what, when and who I say thing too now.

If you noticed Chad knew exactly what I was saying with no explanation from me.....

Inobu

Just now, inobu said:

It's not about giving up......I'm just selective in what, when and who I say thing too now.

If you noticed Chad knew exactly what I was saying with no explanation from me.....

Inobu

Clear expression is always helpful. But if being cryptic is your goal, I guess it's good that Chad can act as an intermediate. I asked for clarification because I assumed you had something of value to contribute.

Just now, gavino200 said:

Clear expression is always helpful. But if being cryptic is your goal, I guess it's good that Chad can act as an intermediate. I asked for clarification because I assumed you had something of value to contribute.

Nope, nothing of value here....

Inobu

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, inobu said:

How is it cryptic to you and not Chad

Inobu

That, my dear inobu, is a true mystery!

Edited by gavino200
3 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Don't be like that, inobu. You know I value you!

This is your comment not mine

lol......

Also who has a link to the japanese board that does the motor and lights with a pin connection on the light board and a em13 style board to control the motor with the decoders connected to the light board?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EdF said:

Is the ESU em13 format board out yet?

It should be out in a month or so.

I like ESU stuff. I switched over to them a few years ago. 

Inobu

4 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Ok. So it fits any EM13 style decoder. But if you want to install a different style decoder, you need to hardwire it. That's sort of a given for any "DCC friendly" loco. I mean, you can't put an EM13 into a European loco designed to take a 6 pin decoder. (Not simply anyway). But unless I'm reading him wrong, the OP doesn't seem to be saying that he just as a preference for an ESU and chooses not to install an EM14 decoder. It sounds more like he doesn't know about the EM13 style decoder at all. He is clearly saying that as far as he can see, the train isn't DCC friendly. 

It would still be useful to get a guide on the install for anyone who doesn't want to use an EM13 type. Personally I don't like the EM13s but would use one, or a piggyback board for convenience. 

Well, after seeing your comments, I think I have to apologize for not having looked more closely at how to dcc the Saphir. Maybe because I was going to install anyway a spare loksound I had around..

But you can certainly fit the usual EM-13 and FL-12. It is definitely not so apparent as in other models

Even lippe lists the “zimo” kit as accesories for the Kato-Lemke version

Sorry guys, the Saphir IS DCC-READY!

Edited by jozasa
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, jozasa said:

Well, after seeing your comments, I think I have to apologize for not having looked more closely at how to dcc the Saphir. Maybe because I was going to install anyway a spare loksound I had around..

But you can certainly fit the usual EM-13 and FL-12. It is definitely not so apparent as in other models

Even lippe lists the “zimo” kit as accesories for the Kato-Lemke version

Sorry guys, the Saphir IS DCC-READY!

Absolutely nothing to apologize for. Installing decoders is tricky at the best of times. I think we've all learned what we have through many painful lessons, and fortunately also through shared knowledge. 

It looks like you've done a very nice install. We'd really benefit from knowing more about how you did it. It's nice to have more options than just the standard EM13. 

• Like 1