Toyama Portram LRV Layout

Concept Model Trains

Wow, for a 32" x 40" layout, this is pretty nice! I wanted to get started in N-scale with some Portram LRVs and definitely have room for a layout that size! :grin

CaptOblivious

This layout shares a lot in common with St Louis MetroLink's Ewing Yard and Shops:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4229+Botanical+Ave,+St+Louis,+Missouri+63110&ll=38.625747,-90.220821&spn=0.002217,0.006673&t=h&z=18

(MetroLink is our local light rail, and uses consisted pairs of articulated LRVs, albeit ones considerably longer than the Portram)

This layout shares a lot in common with St Louis MetroLink's Ewing Yard and Shops:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4229+Botanical+Ave,+St+Louis,+Missouri+63110&ll=38.625747,-90.220821&spn=0.002217,0.006673&t=h&z=18

(MetroLink is our local light rail, and uses consisted pairs of articulated LRVs, albeit ones considerably longer than the Portram)

It looks like you need to drive through two unguarded level crossings to get in or out of the parking lot. I hope those tracks match American convention for which side to drive on, otherwise that first crossing would have about a 2 second warning time for a train that decides to switch off the main line.

CaptOblivious

It looks like you need to drive through two unguarded level crossings to get in or out of the parking lot. I hope those tracks match American convention for which side to drive on, otherwise that first crossing would have about a 2 second warning time for a train that decides to switch off the main line.

They do match; they drive on the right side. Just barely visible in the photo, though, is the security fence which keeps non-employees out of the yard. Also, as I recall, the yard limits are something like 10MPH.

Concept Model Trains

The car access is difficult with this size layout. I'm thinking of moving the depot and incorprating it with the other two layouts (city and surburban).  I've put a couple of ideas together using my track design software.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

post-71-13569923503606_thumb.gif

post-71-13569923503927_thumb.gif

The car access is difficult with this size layout. I'm thinking of moving the depot and incorprating it with the other two layouts (city and surburban).  I've put a couple of ideas together using my track design software.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

I like the first, as it has a less symmetrically "loop of track" appearance, though with scenary that could be avoided. I do notice that one layout has 3 seperate tracks while the other has 2.

Offhand, that looks like AnyRail you are using. Is there now a Finetrack/Minicurve template for that or are you using something else?

Concept Model Trains

I've been using AnyRail for about 10 months.  It has been useful for creating Unitrack layouts and has  really saved me a lot time.  AnyRail had an update last month to include a Tomix FineTrack library.  Even though I'm working with small layouts, AnyRail is still good for trying different things out.  I find AnyRail is easy to use and fast to get ideas together. 

For anyone that hasn't tried AnyRail you can download the trial version (Windows).  http://www.anyrail.com/

It's limited to 50 pieces of track but that is enough to create a small Tomix layout.  I would be interested to know if anyone else uses AnyRail.  I've included one of on Unitrack layouts that was created for the Toyama Portrams.

post-71-13569923507332_thumb.gif