mounting kato shibata couplers on tomytec chassis

EF57

I got a Kato Seibu 101 extension set real cheap and am now trying to motorize it.  The Tomytec TM-20 chassis fits perfectly, however the Kato set has their shibata couplers, which don't fit onto the tomytec bogies.  What can I do?  Is there a conversion piece?

Another problem is that the Kato 11-704 shibatas don't mate with those on this set.  Does Kato have various types of shibatas?  Those on the Seibu set have airhoses, the 11-704s don't.

Kato has various shibata couplers. The older airhose type (like the 11-704), with a small clip under the main coupler that holds the trains together, the new type that doesn't need this clip, but not compatible with the older types. Actually you can just clip in the Kato coupler into the Tomix bogie mounted rapido housing. Also some of the seibu 101-s have imitation couplers on the fronts, that are not functional.

If you remove the two couplers on the original trailer chassis that will be replaced with the TM-20 motor, then you can add those to the motor car in place of the rapido heads. Just use the coupler mounts with the springs that come with the TM-20 motor. This means, you don't have to get new couplers at all for the set.

No, the original couplers have a T end. The Tomix rapido couplers also have a T end. You can just swap them. Of course you have to install the rapidos first on the motor as you need the coupler holders. Watch out for the springs as they can easily fly away.

You may have to bend the coupler holder slightly to make them sit level, but they will work. I have a handful of Tomytec KuMoNis and relations which I've fitted Kato Shibatas to in order to run them with dummy Kato EMUs, and tow my handful of random EMU cars to and from works while they wait for more matching stock to turn up.

Incidentally, you can just cut the hose brackets off if you don't need them. If they're going on something which may well be run as the leading or trailing cab the hoses look odd poking out. Unlit dummy units which will always run with something else keep them throughout.

Edited by Welshbloke
Spelling!