Tapatalk

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

Hi!

I know some people use Tapatalk on mobile devices to read the forum, so I just wanted to post a little info here.

It's recently been discovered that the Tapatalk app (among several other apps, especially news and forums apps) tracks a lot of activity by the users, and then sells that tracking data to 3rd party advertising companies. Considering Tapatalk requires logging in and such, it might be tracking data you really don't want tracked.

With that in mind, we're considering removing support for Tapatalk, especially considering the mobile version of the forum is very usable.

Any comments from people using Tapatalk would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

Continuing tapatalk support also puts yet another thing on Martijn’s system admin job list, especially when revisions to tapatalk or the forum software roll out and break something. 

Jeff

I use Tapatalk, and I hate its guts, not only because of the tracking issue. To be honest I only use it because of notifications. But I’ve become accostumed to just surfing it in the mobile browser, but I still miss the notifications 😞

No skin off my back to disable it.   I tried it (on another forum) many years ago.  The experience sucked compared to the browser (for me) and I have never looked back.  The latest news just confirms it for me.

Martijn Meerts
On 9/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, Yavianice said:

I use Tapatalk, and I hate its guts, not only because of the tracking issue. To be honest I only use it because of notifications. But I’ve become accostumed to just surfing it in the mobile browser, but I still miss the notifications 😞

What kind of notifications are you getting through Tapatalk? I know the forum itself has some notifications in it as well, but I don't often use it on mobile myself.

1 hour ago, Martijn Meerts said:

What kind of notifications are you getting through Tapatalk? I know the forum itself has some notifications in it as well, but I don't often use it on mobile myself.

Notifications just like you would get news or e-mail notifications on iPhone, but then every time someone posts something on threads I follow or started. I find it very convenient. Otherwise I have to go to the browser and check notifications there. I think e-mail notifications are not a good solution for fear of overflowing my already full e-mail account, therefore push notifications are preferable.

Martijn Meerts

Ah right.. Not sure the forum can do that, I know it has browser notifications, but I'm not sure if those can be set up to appear on the iPhone's notifications screen.

4 minutes ago, Markn said:

Has Tapatalk support ended as I'm unable to log in via the app. I'm not bothered about using my phone browser I just wondered. 

Yup, support has ended.

• Thanks 1

Sorry yes we had to end tapatalk, Facebook and Twitter logins due to them creating upgrading and support issues as well as potential security risks that were just not worth the effort anymore. Martijn have been focusing his time on the core server and forum stuff and making that as robust as possible.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Tapatalk is also selling user information to 3rd party advertising companies, which was another reason to cancel it.

As well as fb and tw! 

Btw I always am reminded how clam and pleasant the forum is compared with the ad soaked forums out there. I was researching a router the other day on a woodworking forum that had about 25% of the content real estate actually content and the other 75% was a blur of flashing gifs and a whack a mole pop up video! 

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

As well as fb and tw! 

Btw I always am reminded how clam and pleasant the forum is compared with the ad soaked forums out there. I was researching a router the other day on a woodworking forum that had about 25% of the content real estate actually content and the other 75% was a blur of flashing gifs and a whack a mole pop up video! 

Jeff

Agreed.   Some forums have become useless almost due to that.

Btw:  did you find your router info?  The answer is Triton.  

Martijn Meerts

The reason the forum is calm and pleasant is because we have lots of people willing to donate, without us having to force things like subscriptions or locking content behind a paywall. Without the donations, it'd probably be a bit expensive for a single person to keep everything going.

• Like 1

Lol! I always look at triton — it’s one of the most loved and hated out there! Actually doing an odd hybrid right now. I would love to finally have a nice router table setup with full top adjustment as I hate fiddling under the table for adjustments, locking things, and bit changes. But going to a good solution is a lot of money and they are big! It’s the most mish mash of parts of any shop tool with table, plate, rings, fence, base, and router! It gets really expensive really fast and it’s not something I use a lot so not sure if it’s worth the money and space to upgrade. Was thinking of a little hybrid solution with the Bosch table top cabinet and a little Bosch that you can do height adjustment from the top. Also want to get good dust handling as it’s one fo the worst tools for throwing dust and chips. Most allmthe tables and fences have some issues with their dust handling. Don’t want to spend a huge amount of time making my own custom one as I don’t use it that much! Like I said it’s the worst of all the tool upgrade decisions in the shop! But having a good one I think I would use it a lot more probably, chicken and egg thing...

for now i may slap together a make do with my small trim router to free trim veneer (which is a lot of the routing I do right now) easier and contain the spray.

the one thing I do want is the jessem stock rollers. Saw them demonstrated and they blow feather boards away. I have them ordered for the table saw (on sale recently) but on backorder!

jeff