Narcoleptic KATO TGV?

Yavianice

I have two new TGVs with new PCBs that works perfectly in every way. Engine is not noisy, runs at all speeds with no issue in both directions. But sometimes it will just randomly take a nap, slow down, and then refuse to run. But all the lights in the motorcar are on. And it’s not like it’s an abrupt stop, but gradually, like I’m taking the power off myself. What could the problem be? I tracked this problem down in my other TGVs as well. So it might be a track problem? But all my other trains run normally. And the “taking a nap” seems to occur at random periods and random spots too. I’m so confused! I do have KATO Powerpack SX Though. I’m thinking that might be the problem...

here is the problem on video. At no point is the Thalys commanded to stop. And the Renfe on the bottom runs normally on the same track. 

The only way to get the TGV going again is by either throwing a switch, or by taking the motorcar physical off the track and then putting it on again, or by placing another TGV with new PCB on the track. Powering down and going in the other direction won’t work. 

Edited by Yavianice
Grammar

It might be a polyfuse that is getting overloaded and shutting down. They work by limiting the current down to a minimal level. Cutting power is the only way to reset them. Try to switch to neutral first so the lights turn off, then forward again. If that works, then you might want to check the voltage of your controller as it could be too high or the current consumption of your train as it might be too high too.

• Like 1

I always switch to neutral first, and then reverse direction. But it just grinds to a halt immediately. Until I wait a little or throw a switch or (weirdly) putting another KATO TGV on the track.

I asked MTP to relay this question to KATO Japan, and will report back when I know more.

I would say to try and remove the PCB and make sure it's seated properly and not shorting out on anything. Only TGV I have is the first Kato one that came in the cardboard box so I don't know how different the mechanisms are. 

On 9/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Yavianice said:

Until I wait a little or throw a switch or (weirdly) putting another KATO TGV on the track.

The common in these three is a bit of a time delay. Does the fix work with other types of motor cars?

11 hours ago, kvp said:

The common in these three is a bit of a time delay. Does the fix work with other types of motor cars?

Only TGVs have it. Both of them with the new PCB. 

2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Only TGVs have it. Both of them with the new PCB. 

I meant does the error in the TGVs gets fixed by placing a different type of motor car on the rails?

I encountered a similar issue with two of my TGV réseau duplex (Kato 10-1529). Interestingly, I found that removing the shell of the locomotive was preventing this problem. Though I am not sure why, it seems that once the shell is on, there could be some electrical contact issues (probably after a certain time due to the heating of the engine ?).

One solution I found to prevent this issue even with the shell on was to add on top of the electric board a small piece of foam (~ 1 cm x 5 mm x 3 mm) so that the top of the shell puts a small pressure on the circuit board (I put it right behind the front light LED). After this tweak, I never had any issue anymore.

• Like 2