Little UK Tour

Drunkenclam

As part of my wife's and I 10th wedding anniversary, we had a little tour up north. Taking in the Humber bridge, York and the railway museum, Yorkshire Dales and the Ribblehead Viaduct, the lake district, and Stratford upon avon.  Of course we took the most important pictures.

20180816_140159_resized_1.thumb.jpg.48d5d9b4e6ba04afc5ecd056e3166a5b.jpg

20180817_170633.thumb.jpg.35defece75e59a57e9035338627e87bb.jpg

• Like 8

How did you like it in the far north? I'm originally from a Town about 1.5 hours north of York, though I've only been to the museum a couple of times, I loved seeing the Shinkansen. I don't know if anyone here knows, but they had major problems getting it into the Museum. 

I'm not sure why, but it did 1.5 miles on the East Coast mainline, firstly, they had to work out how to couple a Japanese loco to an English one so it could be towed to the museum, then they needed to shut down the East Coast mainline to be allowed on to it (The museum leads straight onto the line around York Station). For those that don't know (and in case it's different in different countries) if a non mainline service needs to use a mainline in the UK they have to get special permission to be on it, usually they don't shut it down, that was just because of issues unique to the Shinkansen's journey. They got permission, but it had to be done in the middle of the night on a Sunday so as not to cause delays. On the way up they had to remove all the trackside furniture (relay boxes, etc) because the loco was so wide. It is a major line so after it went through teams had to then rebuild and reconnect everything that was removed. They finally got to the museum only to find that the ground clearance was so low that they had to use equipment used to re-rail derailed locos to actually get it into the main hall of the museum. I remember seeing it on the news because it stood outside for a good while, until they could figure out and acquire the equipment to get it inside. 

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

Apparently it was because it was too big to access the museum directly. It was unloaded at York carriage works, and then towed the few hundred yards to the museum itself, down the East Coast main line. I would be interested to know what hauled it along the ECML, but suspect given the distance and the sheer grunt needed (at low speed) it was an 08 shunter.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2018 at 6:44 PM, Drunkenclam said:

As part of my wife's and I 10th wedding anniversary, we had a little tour up north. Taking in the Humber bridge, York and the railway museum, Yorkshire Dales and the Ribblehead Viaduct, the lake district, and Stratford upon avon.  Of course we took the most important pictures.

20180816_140159_resized_1.thumb.jpg.48d5d9b4e6ba04afc5ecd056e3166a5b.jpg

20180817_170633.thumb.jpg.35defece75e59a57e9035338627e87bb.jpg

Hi clam,

we re at York this weekend mate,only one night but hoping to do the museum,been a couple of times but never managed it.

I hope you did Betty’s tea rooms?😂😂😂

we did Stratford upon Avon last year for three days then York for two days.

This year we did the Cotswolds.

• Like 1

No real time as only one day in York and most of that was spent in the museum. Then the city wall walk and castle. Plus the kids wanted to use the hotel swimming pool 😄

• Like 1