Japanese N-Scale on Glass

martin67

Hi all,

here's another project of mine, I did this 2012 & 2013 for exhibitions in our area. My Idea was to combine Japanese aesthetics and model trains on a surreal layout and invite people to join and play. In 2012 I bought me a Tomix train controller on my trip to Tokyo, and this provided too much play fun to play on my own only.

I took two acrylic glass boards on wooden blocks and set up a single track oval of tracks and an elevated second oval of dual tracks. All was loose on the boards and could be assembled and disassembled easily. The elevated track hat two trains running continously. The lower line was the play area with my new Tomix controller.

The set up was a big success and one of the players asked me to bring his own train along next day. That's the Thalys High Speed Train you see on some of the pictures. Except the british Lima V100, which I added for fun for a while, all the trains were Japanese. The photographic effects were stunning, as the acrylic glass was almost like a mirror. After two years the glass had lots of scratches and I started the new project "Valditaro" (already shown...).

25220708nf.jpg

25220711eq.jpg

25220712bh.jpg

25220713ku.jpg

25220719ol.jpg

25220720vv.jpg

25220721sp.jpg

25220722ni.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 7

Very fun and interesting! Japanese train modeling is built a lot around doing more temp setups and using the idea of perceived scenery than filling every bit of the details. Let’s the mind’s eye of the viewer fill in the details and can make more imaginative memories of what they are looking at. Works even better I expect in japan as trains are usually more a part of everyday life than the rest of the world so a richer library of memories formthe viewer to draw on. Love your exercise on the minimal and the glass really visually isolates each piece on the layout.

cheers

jeff

5 hours ago, martin67 said:

Hi all,

here's another project of mine, I did this 2012 & 2013 for exhibitions in our area. My Idea was to combine Japanese aesthetics and model trains on a surreal layout and invite people to join and play. In 2012 I bought me a Tomix train controller on my trip to Tokyo, and this provided too much play fun to play on my own only.

I took two acrylic glass boards on wooden blocks and set up a single track oval of tracks and an elevated second oval of dual tracks. All was loose on the boards and could be assembled and disassembled easily. The elevated track hat two trains running continously. The lower line was the play area with my new Tomix controller.

The set up was a big success and one of the players asked me to bring his own train along next day. That's the Thalys High Speed Train you see on some of the pictures. Except the british Lima V100, which I added for fun for a while, all the trains were Japanese. The photographic effects were stunning, as the acrylic glass was almost like a mirror. After two years the glass had lots of scratches and I started the new project "Valditaro" (already shown...).

25220711eq.jpg

Very nice layout Martin. Thanks for sharing. It looks like you haven't added the extra decals/transfers/stickers to your Tomix Gas/Petrol/Benzin station. If you still have them somewhere would you mind taking a close up photo of the decal sheet for me? I'm planning on revamping my Tomix Gas Station some time soon. 

Nice! Thanks for sharing! 

That glass is a neat trick, it reflects perfectly and brings a whole new feeling to the layout! Also, very refreshing to see a Showa Era layout!  🙂

@railsquid: ...strange definition of a V100 :cool:! Fun is where the trains run!

@gavino200: Have no idea, where I keep this petrol station at the moment. I bought it new from a shop, so the sheet of stickers should be in the original box. Wen I find it I will let you know!

Martin