Two week old Tomix E2 Yamabiko dead

sandiway

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Sorry one other “is it plugged in” question, have you tried to run another train with the controller since this happened?

The track and controller are fine running other trains.

I never touched the train since it was placed on the layout, so I've no idea whether it got really hot.

Edited by sandiway

OK, I took out the motor with a tug after removing the rubber gaskets/mounts.

I'm not sure whether I broke anything doing it because different parts of the shaft drives popped out. 

I ran the motor using just wires from the track. It starts briefly and then the controller throws a red light.

Pictures below.

P8190007s.jpg

P8190008s.jpg

• Densha changed the title to Two week old Tomix E2 Yamabiko dead

To find out if you've broken anything, gently separate the two telescoped black driveshaft pieces in the right of the screen. If the separated ends look the same as the ones that got separated when you took out the motor then you haven't broken anything.

Generally you need to very slowly and gently pull these drive axles out of joint before removing the part (motor or truck).

The only last thing I'd recommend before declaring the motor junk and the problem found, is to remove the brass spring contacts and apply electricity directly to the motor contacts. You might want to clip off those big washer connectors on your alligator jump leads so you can get close. You can also lift the motor case out of the black plastic frame to get closer.  Could the springs be touching the flywheel or metal bearing?

The result this time was slightly different right? It ran for a split second before shorting? Whereas it just shorted without running at all before? 

Edited by gavino200