Small Japanese 3'x5' Layout

gavino200

I'm probably going to be moving in a couple of months. I accepted a new job in a different part of the country. We're considering having a house built, so we'll likely rent an apartment for a while. I'll have to store my main layout, so I'm planning on building a small layout to tide me over. 

I got help doing the benchwork for my current layout from a friend who is an experienced woodworker. But I think I'd like to build this one from scratch myself. I'm going to essentially copy the woodworking methods posted by Kiha and Bubule, but with more basic design. 

I'm going to make this a rural or rural/town layout, and work on learning to model landscape scenery. Unfortunately, I won't have as much time as my new job will be quite a bit busier. 

I think I'll start by choosing a Kato trackplan and a theme. Something simple, that I can learn from. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on the new job!  I feel while the layout move will be a bit of a pain, the opportunity to do a small temporary layout will really allow you to grow as a modeler and try things you wouldn't want to risk on a full size permanent layout.  As someone with no previous woodworking experience, I'm sure you'll find the construction to be less of a challenge than it first appears.  The simple kato trackplans are great for these small layouts, still enough to do but not too clustered and some varity to allow both small towns and some rural landscape.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new job!  

Wish it will soon be my turn to announce the same thing.... 

While re-building the layout sounds like huge work, a new beginning is always nice as we learn more things to apply on the new layout! Cant wait to see the new layout! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gavino200 said:

I'm probably going to be moving in a couple of months. I accepted a new job in a different part of the country. We're considering having a house built, so we'll likely rent an apartment for a while. I'll have to store my main layout, so I'm planning on building a small layout to tide me over. 

I got help doing the benchwork for my current layout from a friend who is an experienced woodworker. But I think I'd like to build this one from scratch myself. I'm going to essentially copy the woodworking methods posted by Kiha and Bubule, but with more basic design. 

I'm going to make this a rural or rural/town layout, and work on learning to model landscape scenery. Unfortunately, I won't have as much time as my new job will be quite a bit busier. 

I think I'll start by choosing a Kato trackplan and a theme. Something simple, that I can learn from. 

Gavin,you could always try the free version of anyrail,you get 50 track pieces for free and no limitations to how many goes you can have,maybe an idea if you just having a small layout,very easy to use as well buddy.

congrats on the new job 👏👏👍😀

• Like 1