Where to Find Parts for old, HO Kato OHa 12 Coaches?

GDorsett

I ordered a pair of "identical" OHa 12 coaches off of EBay recently. They came in and turns out one is an OHaFu...so now I have three? It also turns out that none of them have their ventilators or A/C units in the box. Anyone know where I could find these missing parts?

PlazaJapan on EBay doesn't have either of those parts from Kato, and Hobby Search does not have what I need in stock, either.

That, and one came with builders' plates for a red electric engine of some sort instead of the express plates.
Picture of bare roof:
0725181452.jpg

Pardon the ACS-64. Got a new toy and I've been inspecting the sounds.

Need for High Speed
15 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Pardon the ACS-64. Got a new toy and I've been inspecting the sounds.

Dude nice ACS-64 I recently got one my self its 619,  yours looks like the flag unit. How much Amtrak do you have?  Like the amfleet in the background minus all the random toys. Yeah the ACS-64 does make a lot of nois especially when running under DC I have been reading through the CV log to silence the random horn sounds, but it's too confusing for me. If you don't like the tail light flickering you should change cv61 ratio from 41 to 0.

I do not know where to find parts for Japanese coaches I would assume using Yahoo Auctions if you know what the search terms to use. Or go the hard way and make the parts from scratch if you know what they look like or find pictures of them.

12 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

Dude nice ACS-64 I recently got one my self its 619,  yours looks like the flag unit. How much Amtrak do you have?  Like the amfleet in the background minus all the random toys. Yeah the ACS-64 does make a lot of noise especially when running under DC I have been reading through the CV log to silence the random horn sounds, but it's too confusing for me. If you don't like the tail light flickering you should change cv61 ratio from 41 to 0.

I picked it up the day after ModelTrainStuff uploaded their video. Went down to their store and got it before anyone else did. And, yes, it is a fantastic model and sounds AMAZING. All of my Amtrak is limited to just it and a pair of rather old Walther's Amfleets and the base Acela set (two locos, one powered one unpowered and three coaches) from Bachmann. Haven't had an issue with flickering lights yet.

It is indeed the Demonstrator Unit. The Veterans unit was sold out instantly and I wanted the flag over the Amtrack logo on the normal units

0725181328a.jpg

8 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

There is a pack of the ac units currently available on buyee, other parts usually turn up fairly often so I'd just search オハ12 in the ho category once a day so you dont miss when they pop up.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/n269524027

Guess it's time to sign for up said website and aquire some A/C units, thank you!

And one of the coaches is a "SuHaFu" instead of an OHa/Fu. I notice extra detailing on the underside that is not on my other 12 series coaches. What is the difference and what does this extra equipment do, do you know?

0725181554.jpg

Done. Bid on the Auction. Going to be one unit short, as the ppackage has ten and I need eleven, but oh well. I can deal with missing one.

Need for High Speed
9 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Haven't had an issue with flickering lights yet.

The head light in the reverse direction flickers because the loco runs on what they call rule 17 which seems to have no purpose other than dim the head on the reverse end. It bothers me but if it don't bother then don't worry about it I also need to change the speed charts CVs to 255 instead of 128 or what ever they are. Because I can't get mine to go faster than 85 scale mph.

Do you happen have any HO Shinkansens?

I'm sure another one will pop up soon enough!  The Su vs O is in regards to the cars weight.  An Oha12 is a passenger car of the 12 series with no conductor cab and weighing 32.5-37.5 tons.  An Ohafu13 is a passenger car of the 12 series with a conductor cab and weighing 32.5-37.5 tons, while a Suhafu12 is a passenger car of the 12 series with a conductor cab and weighing 37.5-2.5 tons.  The reason for the Suhafu12 weighing more is due to it having an electrical generator under the car to power all the air conditioning and lighting in the passenger cars.  The original deign meant that one Suhafu12 was needed every 5 cars, however later variants had more powerful gen units and could supply enough power for a much longer train.

This page is very helpful for figuring out what all those O Su Fu stuff means.
http://sunny-life.net/train_symbol/trainsymbol.htm#Symbols of the Japanese Trains

13 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I'm sure another one will pop up soon enough!  The Su vs O is in regards to the cars weight.  An Oha12 is a passenger car of the 12 series with no conductor cab and weighing 32.5-37.5 tons.  An Ohafu13 is a passenger car of the 12 series with a conductor cab and weighing 32.5-37.5 tons, while a Suhafu12 is a passenger car of the 12 series with a conductor cab and weighing 37.5-2.5 tons.  The reason for the Suhafu12 weighing more is due to it having an electrical generator under the car to power all the air conditioning and lighting in the passenger cars.  The original deign meant that one Suhafu12 was needed every 5 cars, however later variants had more powerful gen units and could supply enough power for a much longer train.

This page is very helpful for figuring out what all those O Su Fu stuff means.
http://sunny-life.net/train_symbol/trainsymbol.htm#Symbols of the Japanese Trains

Ah, okay. Makes a lot of sense, actually. Thanks for the link, will have to check it out! I guess that means that one SuHa can support three OHas with no issues. Good to know.

30 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

The head light in the reverse direction flickers because the loco runs on what they call rule 17 which seems to have no purpose other than dim the head on the reverse end. It bothers me but if it don't bother then don't worry about it I also need to change the speed charts CVs to 255 instead of 128 or what ever they are. Because I can't get mine to go faster than 85 scale mph.

Do you happen have any HO Shinkansens?

I have these four coaches, four KoKi 104, and a dozen or so WaMu 380000 in HO and a DE10 to pull them all. Not much there. Most of my passenger is wrapped up in Santa Fe streamlined cars and heavyweight coaches.