Kawasaki Heavy Industries designs fictional Shinkansen for animation series

trainsforever8

trainsforever8

This is a 'prototype' that Kawasaki Heavy Industries designed for an anime that stars Shinkansen. Frankly it looks really good and I hope they will really build something like that. I'm just surprised to see it as a bilevel, I thought JR would stop making bilevel shinkansens? 

https://www.sankei.com/west/photos/180720/wst1807200051-p2.html

Edited by trainsforever8
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

I'm just surprised to see it as a bilevel, I thought JR would stop making bilevel shinkansens? 

That's the problem. It looks like Kawasaki has a really good plan and no buyers.

Like how the NASA venture star ended up in the Avatar film. Both the deep space ship and the SSTO shuttle were rejected NASA plans. The latter even went into scale testing before getting axed. The film borrowed the plans, the computer models and even the name of the project (with permission).

Maybe if the new bilevel train gets popular in the media, the real one could be built. For one, i would like to see more resort or even cruise shinkansens and not just modded older models.

7 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

This is a 'prototype' that Kawasaki Heavy Industries designed for an anime that starts Shinkansen. I'm just surprised to see it as a bilevel, I thought JR would stop making bilevel shinkansens?

You already answered your own question here. JR will stop making bi-level Shinkansen, and this design is not for a prototype but for an animation series.

• Like 2
trainsforever8
12 hours ago, Densha said:

You already answered your own question here. JR will stop making bi-level Shinkansen, and this design is not for a prototype but for an animation series.

You're right, I just assumed that maybe this design was not just for an anime but also something that would be commercialized in Japan since there are animes that have real Shinkansen trains as "main characters", like this one for example: 

Maybe Kawasaki is using this as an opportunity to show off a design so they could get someone interested in buying it?