Danny Choo on Chikans

Guest ___

The subway line pictured is the Tozai Line.  Women-only carriages began only a few months ago on this line (it was already instituted on the Nanboku Line).  Still, a few clueless oyaji (middle to older age men) can still be seen absent-mindedly boarding the reserved cars, oblivious to the fact that they are surrounded only by women.  Truly creatures of habit- after all, in the evening, they can be staggering drunk or nearly passed out, but still manage not to miss getting off at their home station.

The subway line pictured is the Tozai Line.  Women-only carriages began only a few months ago on this line (it was already instituted on the Nanboku Line).  Still, a few clueless oyaji (middle to older age men) can still be seen absent-mindedly boarding the reserved cars, oblivious to the fact that they are surrounded only by women.  Truly creatures of habit- after all, in the evening, they can be staggering drunk or nearly passed out, but still manage not to miss getting off at their home station.

A remember a while back the US television show 60 Minutes did a piece on the night life in Japan and it was customary for businessmen to go out drinking after work. They often would get drunk and rent nearby "cells" that looked like an MRI tube with a bed in it so they could sleep it off and not worry about going home. They would get up the next morning and go to work. Is this still happening or am I wrong?

They were running the WO cars when I was in Kansai back in 05. The cars were in effect from 5pm to 10pm. So what does my friend do? She puts me on one at Osaka at 455p. It was a nerve rattling ride. Finally a college girl said something to me in English. I replied, I kept trying to point that fact out to my friend, but... to make a long story short, the girl replied, that I did not understand why there were WO cars then I'm probably not going to be a threat.

However, another of my friends now tells me that the false accusations and the bribe-or-cry incidents are really on the rise and happen almost daily now. She went on to further state that the problem has been really bad. I think she is sensitive to the topic now though as she caught a motorman taking pictures of her while running the train. Do we don't talk trains anymore.

A remember a while back the US television show 60 Minutes did a piece on the night life in Japan and it was customary for businessmen to go out drinking after work. They often would get drunk and rent nearby "cells" that looked like an MRI tube with a bed in it so they could sleep it off and not worry about going home. They would get up the next morning and go to work. Is this still happening or am I wrong?

Yes, the capsule hotels.  It still happens, but I reckon business is down, as the economic downturn has a put a damper on after hours drinking.  Many try to get home on the last train or earlier trains.  Also, less money to spend on booze has thankfully led to fewer stinking (and occasionally puking) drunks on the late night trains than before.

false accusations and the bribe-or-cry incidents are really on the rise

So when do you think we'll see "men only" cars? You know, to protect the innocent guys?

false accusations and the bribe-or-cry incidents are really on the rise

So when do you think we'll see "men only" cars? You know, to protect the innocent guys?

It's already gone to the Board of Directors of one of the major Tokyo private railways.  As traffic drops I'm sure we'll see it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE55G4VP20090617

Personally, I think the entire concept of men's or women's only cars is a cop out at best as it does not address the problem as to why it occurs at all. It's like putting a band-aid on a broken leg, or giving someone aspirin after they fell off the top of a twenty story building.