Fixing scratches

Khaul

No, that's not about scratch building but fixing tiny scratches in your models. People who do plastic plane and car kits use a relatively easy to find product called "Future", a floor polish. I am not sure I want to put that on any of my models... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Pablo

39 minutes ago, Khaul said:

No, that's not about scratch building but fixing tiny scratches in your models. People who do plastic plane and car kits use a relatively easy to find product called "Future", a floor polish. I am not sure I want to put that on any of my models... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Pablo

I've heard of this before. Back in the 80s I knew a kid who's family had a Jewelry store. They used to use a common polish (Brasso or Silvo, can't remember which) to remove scratches from the plastic faces of Swatch Watches. I used the trick myself. Worked perfectly. Zero damage. 

Yep future floor polish is an old trick to do a very thin clear acrylic coat to models. It’s desined to go on as a very thin coat and to fill in tiny scratches on your flooring to make that nice glossy shiny surface!

i have been tempted to do my rapit with it to give it that glossy finish he prototype has. I’ll go find my bottle, the name has changed again here when it went to pledge from future. I think a long time back it may have been futura.

jeff

Welshbloke

Brasso will remove small scratches, but may well damage the paintwork. I use it to spruce up old clear plastic cases which have become scuffed. It won't make them perfect again but it reduces the problem and brings back the shine.

Edited by Welshbloke
Autocorrect!

Brasso works well as really really fine grit in it to polish, but it will take up the paint! It’s great on old contact strips that have heavily oxidized as well.

ive seen folks use rubbing and buffing compounds to smooth out paint, but have to be very gentle and cannleave a gloss finish. Buffing compounds work great on cut plex edge after all cleaned up with sanding, then hit it witha final quick flame shine (this is an art!)

cheers

jeff