Tamiya Craft Knife

bill937ca

Last night for the first time I used a Tamiya Craft Knife I bought from Hobby Search over a year ago .  It's a box cutter type knife, but unlike most box cutters this knife is made of metal. It has a good weight and this was useful as I was cutting thin clear plastic sheet for windows in a Faller Stadt-Postamt kit.  The blade is small and replacement blades can be ordered from HS>

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032544

A second Tamiya Craft knife I have in my tool tray.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001616

When I cut the plastic sheet last night also used a small metal ruler also available from HS.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10280932

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I had something similar in the 80s/90s when I was a kids.  The blade had diagonal sections you snap off to keep it sharp when the first section started to become blunt.

These snap off utility knives are handy as they are sort of an in between blade between an xacto blade and a matte knife blade. They are good for thin plastics that tend to snap off xacto knife blades and their shorter edge grind digs in better — long edge grind of xacto can tend to wedge the blade into a longer cut in thicker plastic and hence snap off. Matte knives have much heavier blades that work on bigger stuff but harder to control on smaller and thinner stuff. They also tend to dull fast at the tip.

only issue can be with the snap off blades is them breaking cleanly. Using a pair of blunt noes pliers aligned head just off along the score line helps make a clean snap.

ive used these snap offs for a scoring blade by using them backwards when I didn’t have a scoring blade. The geometry of the tip reversed on thes is very like a scoring blade and just about the right weight.

jeff

• Like 1

Related but a bit tangential: Is there a "correct" way to dispose of exacto and other hobbyknife blades? Are you supposed to bring them somewhere special for destruction? It seems a bit irresponsible to just put them in the garbage. 

10 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

There is a shaving blade slot in my bathroom cabinet.  That's where mine go.

those poor house demolishers when they hit the 75 year supply of razors and hobby blades behind those medicine cabinets on demolition!'

the good way to toss them in the trash is to just fold them in a chunk of duct tape. that will stop them from stabbing anyone thru the trash process. folks also fold them up in paper, but i like the duct tape as its pretty hard to come apart and duct tape does everything!

never heard of the recycle centers taking them.

of course you can create a dead blade can with a slit in the lid to just drop them in. later pile a bunch up and wrap some tape around them

jeff

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

those poor house demolishers when they hit the 75 year supply of razors and hobby blades behind those medicine cabinets on demolition!'

I ain't 75 yet. 🙂

It will be demolition of a reinforced concrete high rise condo. We are not going anywhere.  The empire is expanding.  🙂

Edited by bill937ca
  • Haha 1