Riding trains in Hokkaido

I will arrive by Shinkansen and take the JR Murorran line to Sapporo.  Then the next morning i will ride the Hakodate line through Otaru before transferring at  Oshambe to continue on to Shin-Hoakodate to connect to the Shinkansen back to Tokyo.  I have done some research and determined that these lines are scenic, and that the route return route through Otaru will involve some single car trains.  This is apparently a remote part of Japan.  Is there anything that I need to take into consideration for travel during the last week of June?   

Thank you.  

I don't have anything specifically helpful to those particular lines, but if you do plan for a full day out I've found having a portable charging battery to recharge your phone/ipod/camera to be very useful.  More than once I've been out all day and had a hard time taking those later pictures or checking the later train schedules due to one or more devices getting drained over the course of the day.  A few bucks to ensure your stuff stays ready to use all day.

https://www.amazon.com/external-cell-phone-batteries/b?ie=UTF8&node=7073960011