Hey from Kent, UK!

JohnG13

Hey from the UK! I am only 16 but already have an HOe/009 circular layout and an N gauge shuttle layout, so clearly I've started young (rest of the family do British modelling but that bores me hehe). I decided to join this forum as there isn't much of a Japanese modelling community in the South East, well at least I've never seen it at model rail shows over the years, so it would be nice to talk to people with this shared hobby. Japanese railway modelling is just one stem of my passion for the Far East, I don't want to sound like that classic teen that loves anything manga or anime because really I'm not, I'm just fascinated by the cultural and social differences to the West (and the different railways of course). 

So in terms of my models, the HOe/009 is circular track on a square baseboard with one round-round loop and a siding. It's a typical scene of cherry blossoms, tea house, ponds etc, made before my trip to Japan in 2016 so accuracy isn't very good. The rolling stock is basically Minitrains and old HOe roco locos and carriages/wagons, with one Japanese Kubiki Railway DB81 from 'Pair Hands' models.

The N-gauge layout is a long shelf size, two thirds is rural terminus station in a mountain valley with rice fields, the other third is a small city scene with streetcar tracks in the foreground and mainline sidings at the back, divided by a typical Japanese city street scene. Rolling stock is all Kato and Tomix, traction is: C11 SL (Oigawa railway edition with three carriages), C50 SL Kato 50th anniversary edition, and an ED75 loco. I also have a two car set of orange Kiha 40s, a two car set of Kato's 50th anniversary Keikyu Deha 268, and a two car set of Tomytec Tetsudo Eizan Electric Line cars (green and cream original edition). There is also Kato freight rolling stock, such as black box wagons, etc. 

That's about it! Currently I'm working on the N-gauge, I'm trying to make it exhibition standard to get more Japanese railway representation in the South East model scene. As for the narrow gauge, I'll maybe re-do it as it's not to the best standard - to be honest I prefer Japanese Narrow Gauge! 

Anyways, I'm so glad I found this forum! Talk soon~ 

Welcome to JNS! Good to see yet another early starter.

Looking forward to seeing your layouts in the Personal Projects section! 😉

Welcome to the forum John!  Good job getting the early start, I also got into japanese modeling in my late teens.  Be sure to share some pictures of your trains and layout!

-Sam

Welcome John!

glad you found us!  Many on the forum are like you without a lot of local Japanese modelers so you can get your fix here chatting about Japanese modeling and rail stuff! There are a number of UK members that may point you to some clubs.

start treads on your current layouts, folks would love to see them!

cheers

jeff