Kato and engine number availability

So, I would like to get another DE10 (or a pair of DD51s), however I will be converting them and running them under DCC, so the cab numbers need to be different so I can tell them apart. Does Kato have several options for locomotive numbers? Do they randomly choose a number and you get whatever you get? Or are they only released with one number option?

If you're asking about kato's HO models, the DD51 comes with 4 different number plates to choose from while the DE10 comes with 5 different number decals, and spare solo numbers to make even more if you so desire.  The N models usually come with 4 numbers as well.

Another option I've seen modelers do at the local club is to attach a small piece of tape under each loco with the decoder address, which helps a lot for bigger collections where you may not be able to use the full loco number.

Edited by Kiha66

In HO, yes.

I ordered my first one through Plaza Japan on EBay and there wasn't an option for numbers. If I order another one, is there a chance if it being different? Note: when in stock, there's only one listing.

And I understand the tape thing. I have an E6A/E8B pair (the American Es, not the Shinkansen) and the B does not have a number on it (good job, Broadway) so I put a piece of tape on the fuel tank to say what code it's got.

Does HobbySearch have the DE10 on their website? And would each cab number be a separate listing or, again, is it the same items shipped out in a box and it's random which one you get?

You get a set of sprues included with the locomotive with (usually) 4 choices of number, which you need to attach yourself.

Aah, okay. Then that's where I got confused. I had the freight version which came with a number already on it.