valkyriepm

Hi guys! I'm opening this topic so if there's any scale modeller beside trains we love, can post your models.

If there's any existing topic please mods, merge it 😛

Well, to begin, here are the two little guys I wanted to finish so I can work on my mini layout:

DC-9-32 Austral Líneas Aereas - Hasegawa 1/200

IMG_20180523_200916.thumb.jpg.6ce1ba4615d041df8575701a87ac39b2.jpgIMG_20180523_201031.thumb.jpg.97914c1fe336b34f7ce2d2976136c648.jpg

F9F-2 Panther Armada Argentina - Hobby Boss 1/72

IMG_20180523_201557.thumb.jpg.2a97d87cad1ad00dbf22ecd7a2b26678.jpgIMG_20180523_201727.thumb.jpg.c08eb2fc15964e9a58c8bae7bcee9874.jpg

Martin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Wow, amazing work Martin!  This will be good motivation to work on my nontrain models.

• Thanks 1
serotta1972

Rapido 1/87 Fishbowl Bus - awesome detailing both on the exterior and interior and comes with interior, head, tail and destination board lights.

DE1A55D1-34E3-4755-B7A2-5BE2DC4C7AD0.thumb.jpeg.8f27e981e84a7c0c2d198deb86860b2c.jpeg

• Like 6

I'm back in gauge 1 model railways (1/32)  again but setting it in the First World War period somewhere in France

this means I'm finally finishing some of the vehicles many of which have been lurking in the loft for years

Austin Armoured car. based on the Airfix Dennis fire Engine kit with turned perspex turrets. Body in 30thou plasticard with Tony Riley rivets. scratchbuilt Hotchkiss machune guns

large.56941838_lefthandside.jpg.30ba23fa9cf7a4e297bc8f9db3bc49b2.jpg

Finished but still needs I.D marks

large.826232954_AustinA.C.jpg.9494449faa8dd3ba90b031532484a457.jpg

Also using an old Airfix kit was this Australian army armoured car based on the 1904 Mercedes. Only had one photo and the dimensions of the chassis to go on but seem to have it pretty close

Door and cab roof left off as painting the interior would be impossible with them in place

large.352499452_Mercedesarmouredcar.jpg.5675301030739b8b5b9fe1b4953cf66b.jpg

Got to the primed stage and found another photo of it still with the turret on and realised the radiator cover was completely wrong and had to be replaced.

large.1202206175_mercedesAC.jpg.b42bca4ddeeaefe367c4c9b7938b32f7.jpg

Kev

It really was quite small in real life

• Like 7

Very nice work on the armoured cars, Kev. I have an Austin in 1/72nd scale, and I'm waiting on the MiniArt 1/35th models to arrive here in the new year.

spacer.png

https://miniart-models.com/products/39009-austin-armoured-car-1918-pattern-british-service-western-front-interior-kit/

Current project is the ICM kit of the Model T Ford used as a light armed patrol car by the Australian troops in Palestine.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Very nice models. I have a couple of plastic models to build - a Stevenson's Rocket and a B47 bomber. I haven't made one of these things since I was a kid. I used to build then paint. But wouldn't it be easier to paint the parts before it's fully assembled? At least the wheels. Are your models only provisionally assembled but not fully glued? What are your thoughts on painting after full assembly.

• Like 1

I usually paint the model in sub-assemblies. At the moment the wheels on both armoured cars are loose on their axles so they can be removed for painting. The Model T is as you describe it, provisionally assembled without glue to check that all parts fit neatly. I think trying to paint models after they're fully assembled is just making more work and more difficulty, even if there only one colour.

Who makes the Rocket kit?

All the best,

Mark.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:45 AM, kevsmiththai said:

Austin Armoured car. based on the Airfix Dennis fire Engine kit with turned perspex turrets. Body in 30thou plasticard with Tony Riley rivets. scratchbuilt Hotchkiss machune guns

Your Austin looks great, Kev. I think they're one of the most interesting armoured vehicles of the Great War.

Cheers,

Mark.

I reached the point where the Model T is ready for painting. All the sub-assemblies are complete.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 12/31/2020 at 10:57 PM, marknewton said:

I usually paint the model in sub-assemblies. At the moment the wheels on both armoured cars are loose on their axles so they can be removed for painting. The Model T is as you describe it, provisionally assembled without glue to check that all parts fit neatly. I think trying to paint models after they're fully assembled is just making more work and more difficulty, even if there only one colour.

Who makes the Rocket kit?

All the best,

Mark.

The rocket kit is a Dapol. Some day I want to try to scratch-build a rocket in n scale. I bought this to familiarize myself with the design. I'm looking forward to tackling it. 

The bomber is a Hobby Craft. I got it to used the engine for a M-477 jet train kitbash that I did. I didn't need it in the end and the scale difference was quite noticeable so the model is still complete. I wasn't intending to put the plane together at all, but it's been sitting on my shelf staring at me for a while now, and I'm feeling the siren's call. 

OMHPNVN.jpg

HqQSzKS.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't know that Dapol made a kit for the Rocket. Many years ago I had an Airfix kit for it. I wonder if they're from the same tooling? 

If you decide to build the B-47 I'd like to see how it turns out. I've built a few kits by Hobby Craft and they weren't bad at all.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
kevsmiththai
On 1/3/2021 at 12:58 AM, marknewton said:

I didn't know that Dapol made a kit for the Rocket. Many years ago I had an Airfix kit for it. I wonder if they're from the same tooling? 

If you decide to build the B-47 I'd like to see how it turns out. I've built a few kits by Hobby Craft and they weren't bad at all.

Cheers,

Mark.

It is the same tooling. Dapol bought the moulds a few years ago and have released a lot of the 1/76th rail vehicles.

in the U.k you can pick them up quite easily

Airfix were not the originators of some of these patterns. They were originally released by Kitmaster including the Rocket but i've never seen the european models come out again like the SNCF 4-8-2 and the NYC Niagra

Link to the Kitmaster club

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/Locomotives.htm

Kev

• Like 2

So I bought one of the background boards infrom the workshop to hide the office shelves (Basically just hardboard painted with a chalky sky blue). I have three of these that I put behind the layouts to hide the background when photographing them.

The little board with the track on and the grassy foreground is turning out to be a neat way of photographing the models as I go along

large.570131112_ThaiArmyM113sresize.jpg.48d99f84bcd48111537f3c6bdcaa33de.jpg

I've got my stall set out for painting 1/32 and 1/35th figures at the moment. mainly the first world war British but i thought I would try and get these finished. They are modern Thai army to go with the M113s in the characteristic camo colours. Figures are converted from Vietnam era USA tank crews etc. The APCs are right for the Thais but the van and pickup are conjecture as I'm looking fo an M35 -2 'Deuce and a half' truck kit in 1/35th as I saw a lot of them when in Thailand. The freight cars are completely wrong though, Wrong gauge, wrong part of the world, etc

These are the sort of wagon I need to go behind the Thai C56 2-6-0. The B.F.H flat wagon with the appropriate trucks loaded on seen at Nakhon Rachasima in 2006. The sides fold down and sit flat to form a wider floor and I plan to make one section in plasicard,  take a silicon mould off it and cast them in resin to avoid all the repetition when i get around to them

large.1156948522_M35A2sonBFHflatwagons.jpg.a131367c04aa413555107a49c7aa644f.jpg

The other painting I've been catching up with is some WW1 French 'Chasseur Alpin' mountain troops. These were made by Heller years ago. In this view a few of them have stopped to have a look at the prototype Mk IV 'Tadpole' tank fitted with the longer tail to cross wider trenches. In reality these never saw service as the tail extensions proved too flexible in action and as far as we know they never carried any numbers or colour other than battleship grey. really must weather it though!

large.169403046_Tadpoleonwarflatresize.jpg.13832f4b122c80696685308e475a04b4.jpg

Kev

• Like 4

It's also on my gauge 1 thread but here are the pictures of a WW1 Improvised field kitchen used by the British Army. Using local bricks and some steel plate they were easy to build and knock down

I'm using real 1/35th scale ceramic bricks glued together with a mix of pro PVA glue and crafters acrylic paint

large.1299237954_improvisedfieldkitchen.jpg.66d2e3746e21945ae8568ff4b516b938.jpg

My 1/35th scale bricklaying is as my full size efforts but they were very rustic in appearance

large.2020431762_Improvisedfieldoven.jpg.b6d36a76fbec294cb293a3aa53e5feb0.jpg

There is a possibility of adding a small smoke unit and LEDs in the grate area to animate it in the future

large.612813109_fieldkitchen.jpg.0f71615579b39874eb184eee55077541.jpg

I was in the loft earlier looking for something and spotted a box that said 1/32 vehicles. Odd, I thought, as i had a purge on a lot of that stuff a while ago. Found three vac-form WW2 Bedford lorry kits made by a firm called Tonda. I got them from Dorking Models when my Mardy Colliery gauge 1 layout was touring with a view to building them in civilian use

No idea what to do with them but vac-form ploystyrene sheet from that long ago would need handling with kid gloves when it has got this old.

large.1599894604_Vac-form1-35thBedfords.jpg.8152678fee8e08baf0eb6a8e20e8a50c.jpg

Also found an unstarted Lindberg 1/32 Cadillac kit. Now this has an eleven foot wheelbase chassis and two spare wheels and I can see it becoming a donor for another armoured car

more soon

Kev

• Like 5

I bought this today from my local hobby shop. Not only is it a rather attractive little aeroplane, but the prototype was used by the Ministry of Railways for aerial photography/survey work in connection with the construction of new lines. So it straddles both modelling hobbies.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

Got the Cadillac kit out. Box says 1990 and notice it features 'Exotic High Gloss plastic' Wow! There is a lot of flash and a couple of pieces had cracked but the rubber tyres are still O.K

large.Cadillac.jpg.d5d1eb5f8a2430f8f1fd4ca6cf3df364.jpg

Its huge when stood at the side of anything else but it is 1/32nd it's just that the prototype must have been a big beast in real life. Looking at how it was moulded it didn't look very promising for conversion. I went into the Rolls Royce folder to see if that was a possibilty when I spotted this, Surely, not?

large.2091817071_Desertoverlandmail.jpg.6bc4ab2279caebdc63041b6605490e39.jpg

it is, its a Caddy in the desert. used on the Desert Overland mail service in the 1920s

A bit of digging found a fascinating article about these and the buses that replaced them

http://vcc.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/BW-20-Dec-1959_low.pdf

So that's settled. not in the First World War but very interesting. and look at all those mail bags

really am going to have to do the 1920s pattern Rolls Royce armoured car now

More soon

Kev

• Like 3

Kev, are you planning to scratchbuilt the RR armoured car? I ask because both Roden and Meng make the 1920 pattern cars, but in 1/35 scale. The Cadillac looks good, too! 🙂

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm going to get the Meng one I think. I always wanted the Scalelink 1/32nd etched and white metal one but it is well over £100 these days if they even have one in stock. Built one of their MkIVs a few years back. It weighed a ton!

large.1290451064_scalelinkMkIVtank.jpg.358b9d1e5e2a506f70f4c058d2ce4949.jpg

It looked even better when it had the etched rifle port covers on

Sold it to a collector in Hertfordshire who never painted it just kept polishing it up

Kev

• Like 3

Bid for these the other day and was pleasantly suprised to get all three for just over £20. Don't normally buy models built by others but they looked O.k on the pictures. The kits when they turn up are fetching £29 and are the ones moulded when the moulds were just about shot. These survived the parcel delivery firms rough handling (just one mudguard fell off) and the other two will get the 'Ole Bill bus' treatment so i'll have a convoy. Not yet though. the two in civvy colours are going in the loft for a while for another lockdown month.

large.2143662785_Btypebuses.jpg.af559db60a0b8b1d5cdf104bcbb5ead4.jpg

Hopefully the paper stickers used for the advertising will come off easily

Kev

• Like 4

Called in to the hobby shop at Dapto for some paint, and found this - a model of what I regard as the sleekest Japanese twin of the Pacific war. So yeah, I bought it! 😁

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4