There is a prototype for everything... (Japan Rail)

No, see, you have that wrong. You simply haven't unlocked that yet. You must have missed a side quest somewhere.

Either that, or it's a DLC...

• Haha 2

I see, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance because I don't have the slightest idea what you mean with that.

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

I see, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance because I don't have the slightest idea what you mean with that.

In video games, you'll have objectives to reach, often represented by a "prize" or "object" you can earn.  Un-earned ones are often represented in "ghost" form -- ie, all white outlined version, before you achieve and win the item.

• Thanks 1

DLC is downloadable content, ie. anything extra that isn't included in the base game.  That's where a lot of game studios make their money these days as the extra content can often become much larger than the base game.  Buying new routes or locomotives for a train simulator game is one example.  

Right, well obviously they're not making much money off me. We do have a PS3 bitrotting away somewhere but I spend enough time in front of screens as it is...

• Like 1

I won't claim much *personal* knowledge of all this, as my video game experience of the last 20 years is mostly limited to Mario Kart on the Wii and Wii U, and then on the computer, things like Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, which are more strategic non-action games, and which I get to every 5 years for a few days.  

My kids are begging to upgrade the Wii U, which I finally bought on Prime Day a couple years ago as the Wii U was on its way out -- I got it to upgrade the Mario Kart experience from the original Wii version (meaning the version on the original Wii, not that that was the first version of Mario Kart).  They want a Switch at a minimum, and my son wants an Xbox or Playstation.  Not in my house.  Total waste of time.

• Haha 1

I love my Switch. One of the best purchases I've made, as I was heavily into the 3DS scene, but was just burnt out from Mariokart 7. I was one of those people who were legitimately chasing down world records on some tracks for speed. Hit a shelf and could not go any faster. Bought a Switch, haven't looked back.

• Like 1

Not yet. Since it's not regoin locked, I'm hoping A-Train will get ported. There was an extremely basic "sim" that was on the 3DS, but nothing proper yet.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, GDorsett said:

Not yet. Since it's not regoin locked, I'm hoping A-Train will get ported. There was an extremely basic "sim" that was on the 3DS, but nothing proper yet.

slightly off topic For what it's woth neither the Switch or physical switch games are region locked. Same with the PS4, only things these days that are region locked are digital downloads or DLC.

Back on topic - I actually kinda like the plain white would also be really easy to model too ^_^

On 7/11/2019 at 10:57 PM, railsquid said:

Got some white paint left over and wondering what it would look like if you painted an entire car including the windows with it?

What is presumably the same car being demolished, a few days after the first video.

• Sad 2
scotspensioner

Found this morning on Nimo5s YouTube list.A film dated 2006 showing a DD51 hauling eleven blue series 24 sleeping cars brought up on the rear by a green Twilight Express Baggage/Generator Coach!

Edited by scotspensioner
Addition
On 7/14/2019 at 4:51 AM, chadbag said:

I won't claim much *personal* knowledge of all this, as my video game experience of the last 20 years is mostly limited to Mario Kart on the Wii and Wii U, and then on the computer, things like Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, which are more strategic non-action games, and which I get to every 5 years for a few days.  

My kids are begging to upgrade the Wii U, which I finally bought on Prime Day a couple years ago as the Wii U was on its way out -- I got it to upgrade the Mario Kart experience from the original Wii version (meaning the version on the original Wii, not that that was the first version of Mario Kart).  They want a Switch at a minimum, and my son wants an Xbox or Playstation.  Not in my house.  Total waste of time.

Oh, Hearts of Iron is brilliant!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Khaul said:

Oh, Hearts of Iron is brilliant!

It is but I do prefer Europa Universalis, though at this point the amount of DLCs has completely revamped the game and I have spent more time playing Stellaris than EU4 😳

• Like 1
On 7/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, disturbman said:

It is but I do prefer Europa Universalis, though at this point the amount of DLCs has completely revamped the game and I have spent more time playing Stellaris than EU4 😳

I discover Hearths of Iron before Europa Universalis and really got into it. I also played Victoria. That was 15 years ago. I've got a new version of Hearts of Iron, but it seems to much to swallow for a random free afternoon.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, Khaul said:

I've got a new version of Hearts of Iron, but it seems to much to swallow for a random free afternoon.

Yes, I think that's why I clocked so many hours with Stellaris. The mechanics are relatively simple and it is easy to play during a random afternoon. EU4 has become so complex, that it is a hassle to relearn the mechanics (which are constantly changing) to play. Hearts of Iron seems relatively clear and simple as well though. Could be well fitting for some casual playing.

15 years ago, I was intensively playing EU2 and Victoria. Can't do that anymore.

I have the HoI (I think latest) and also the latest EU and I think I bought Stellaris on Steam.  But I have not actively played any of the latest.  Just too busy with real life and work (and now the trains).  I would like to have time to occasionally play as I really like the strategy and resource management games.   I played a ton of EU2 I think it was way back when.  And a ton of an earlier HoI.

I've been hoping to get my kids interested in these games (vs the COD and the like my son seems to want to play).