There is a prototype for everything... (Japan Rail)

Can you please link to the original Twitter post, a) for context and b) for copyright reasons?

Also that image is not actually real, so doesn't really belong in this thread.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that photo has been floating around the web for ages (I don't think the linked site is the actual original either).

Actually that gives me an idea for a meme 😄

Edited by railsquid
18 hours ago, railsquid said:

Can you please link to the original Twitter post, a) for context and b) for copyright reasons?

Also that image is not actually real, so doesn't really belong in this thread.

That's a shame. Please feel free to remove the post. So I can hide my shame and come out from behind the sofa. The image was PM'ed to me by one of my friends on Twitter. Rather than a twitter post.

• Haha 1

When you slowly end up with a parts bin full of broken trains that you don't throw out 'cause something in there might be useful someday...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

OMG, it’s horrifying but beautiful at the same time. My mind keeps going to doing a scene like this, then recoiling...

jeff

On 2/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, cteno4 said:

This is what comes up with a reverse image search

jeff

i was looking for this thou the Kiha 65 will look the same as the 12 series 😄

On 10/6/2020 at 10:19 PM, railsquid said:

Want to run your "Twilight Express" model in Tokyo? If it's 2005, no problem: http://www.junya-travel.com/twilight-express-shinagawa.html

2005 on a chartered excursion between Shinagawa and Shimonoseki to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Kinki Nippon Tourist, or KNT! as they rebranded themselves with doubtful success.

The text indicates the "Twilight Express"  was in the Tokyo area 14 years previously as well ("寝台特急トワイライトエクスプレス、14年ぶり首都圏に").

According to "The Railway Pictorial" (No. 984, April 2021, page 37) the set was in Tokyo on April 27th, 1992, when it formed the stock for an excursion from Ueno to Izumo; it was hauled empty from Oku to Ueno by EF58 89, and from Ueno to Nagaoka by EF64 1031 (pictured in the magazine) and from Nagaoka by an unidentified EF81.

• Like 2
Yavaris Forge

The description says the train ran from Kawasaki Freight Yard (where JRF has some maintenance facilities) to Takasaki Yard.

Does anyone know if these Coal Hokis are still in use? I haven't seen pictures of them for a long time and the video above is from 2019 as well.

Yavaris Forge

In case your electric loco needs some additional power and there's just this little guy to help. (min 45:00)

But seriously, why is the small steam engine attached to the front of that EF12?

• Like 4
marknewton

Two reasons I can think of. One is that the steam loco - a 2120 class 0-6-2T - was being transferred between depots, and rather than running it as a light engine movement that requires an additional path, it was attached to a freight train going to the same destination.

The other is that the freight train had to shunt traffic at sidings that weren't wired for electric locos, and the steam loco was attached to shunt those sidings. We've seen other examples of that practice posted on the forum.

That's a great video by the way, thanks for posting it.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

30 seconds later the consist is being shunted into the freight platform with no overhead power lines.  Good reason for small diesel/steam engine on front.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2021 at 5:35 PM, Yavaris Forge said:

The description says the train ran from Kawasaki Freight Yard (where JRF has some maintenance facilities) to Takasaki Yard.

Does anyone know if these Coal Hokis are still in use? I haven't seen pictures of them for a long time and the video above is from 2019 as well.

The last coal train ran in 2020 (mentioned on the forum somewhere I think) and most if not all have had an encounter with the Big Mechanical Scissors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I found a single 103 at a show recently. Anyone got pictures of a single 103 somewhere? It's a cab and has a motor and a DCC decoder for some reason.

Works enough for me, although mine is green and is lacking in details. I'll probably end up throwing it in a yard somewhere as an easter egg for someone to find in all honesty.