There is a prototype for everything... (Japan Rail)

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

If you’re too lazy to put all the twilight mizukaze cars on the layout... 

It’s the new 2 car starter set!

jeff

• railsquid pinned this topic

Want to run your "Twilight Express" model in Tokyo? If it's 2005, no problem: http://www.junya-travel.com/twilight-express-shinagawa.html

2005 on a chartered excursion between Shinagawa and Shimonoseki to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Kinki Nippon Tourist, or KNT! as they rebranded themselves with doubtful success.

The text indicates the "Twilight Express"  was in the Tokyo area 14 years previously as well ("寝台特急トワイライトエクスプレス、14年ぶり首都圏に").

• Like 4
Yavaris Forge

Very interesting video! I didn't know you could open Kato D51s that way... It's a Kato, right? One of the cranes had the name on it😂

• Haha 2
On 7/7/2020 at 8:45 AM, chadbag said:

I'm going to have to try that with the Twilight Mizukaze

Actually I just realized you can't as the KATO one at least has the motor car in the middle IIRC...  😞

Excellent! I’m always looking for the 20 some odd construction cranes from all those constructions sets everyone had to put out!

jeff

• Like 1

Got some spare track and catenary poles? Why not set up a small diorama in some spare space?

jr-east-trackwork_2020-11-08_01.thumb.jpg.9e6c0d70db4fb882ea506a086ef3f475.jpg

On the south side of the Chuo Line between Kunitachi and Tachikawa stations, on one side of the JR transformer facility thingy. Not sure how long it's been there, I've noticed it a couple of times before but never managed to get a photo. I guess it's for research/training purposes.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, Yavaris Forge said:

Could it be that they assemble points there so they don't have to do that on site?

I doubt it, it looks very much like a representation of a short stretch of actual permanent way for whatever purpose. Somewhere I have a picture of points being assembled on the permanent way maintenance sidings at Mitaka, right next to the running lines and much easier to transport than they would be from here.

• Like 1

Have too many EF81s? Get yourself a Cassiopeia generator car and run...whatever this formation is. Engineer training?

ef81s.thumb.jpg.7a4290599a8e97f0875392d64675f96b.jpg

Edited by nah00
  • Like 6
28 minutes ago, nah00 said:

Have too many EF81s? Get yourself a Cassiopeia generator car and run...whatever this formation is. Engineer training?

ef81s.thumb.jpg.7a4290599a8e97f0875392d64675f96b.jpg

Yup, that appears to be the case. I ran into this formation around the same time last year:

I doubt it, it looks very much like a representation of a short stretch of actual permanent way for whatever purpose.

Railsquid, it seems to be a recent installation, as a google streetview from April 2019 shows no such track or catenary at this site which is called Tachikawa Hendensho (substation)- the adjacent elongated park is Midorikawa Daiichi Koen.  Training facilities for installing catenary are sometimes set up at these locations for on-site education. Likely this one of those.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen it before this year.

That reminds me, I must post about an Interesting Railway Factoid related to the other side of the Chuo Line thereabouts I learned about last year (while walking to the immigration bureau).

• Like 2

What can you do with that one spare junk car you used to test your re-painting skills?

Park it out on some siding in a depot, of course!

• Like 2