There is a prototype for everything... (Japan Rail)

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

When you want to run your Kiha-120s on the Sanko Line but cant decide which livery to run:

I'm pretty sure they just ran all available cars, with the liveries they happened to be in and maybe even borrowed cars from other nearby lines for the farewell runs. The pink/purple for example is the Geibi/Fukuen line color.

lesliegibson

If even half of those who turned out to watch the farewells, rode the trains once or twice a week the line wouldn't be closing! Sad to see.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, railsquid said:

A 4-car Chuo-Sobu line 231-0 series formation at Mitaka:

30274875668_ab5e6b6929_z.jpg

Chuo-Sobu line partial formation by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is set B31, which apparently was sent up to Akita in March for presumed refurbishment/conversion to another line, but these 4 cars were sent back down at the end of July and it seems to be haunting the Tokyo area for reasons unknown. Note it still has the "6 door" sticker.

It was still there in the same place this weekend:

29497586387_c16f2d9d3f_z.jpg

chuo-sobu-line-train-mitaka-20180-09-01b by Rail Squid, on Flickr

On 9/4/2018 at 9:43 PM, Densha said:

Nope, combining JNR DMUs with freight cars is a no-go...

Imho mixed trains were pretty common everywhere in the world, especially on smaller branchlines. For japanese DMU-s, the rule seems to be half a car for every motor car, so a single motor could usually pull one 2 axle trailer, two motor cars could pull two 2 axle trailers or a single 4 axle trailer (freight or passenger car). This rule was usually followed with most non high speed JNR EMU stock too, with a limit of 1 trailer for every 2 motor cars. On very flat land lines even a 1:1 mix was possible.

15 minutes ago, Densha said:

So is putting a mini-Shinkansen coach in an E2 consist.

According to the description, that is a track measurement car in there and it's a narrow type so it could be used on both shinkansen loading gauges...

The East-I car in E2 shinkansens was a spare measurement car identical to the third car in the East-I consist, used when the East-I was undergoing maintenance. It was scrapped in 2015., says Wikipedia. To me it looks a bit like when a snake eats something odd-shaped like.

• Like 1

Oh, wow. That's worse than me using three EMD E-units to move four little wooden reefers from the 1900s.

How did they not overload the system with that much draw?

4 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Oh, wow. That's worse than me using three EMD E-units to move four little wooden reefers from the 1900s.

How did they not overload the system with that much draw?

I guess the secret was having one or two locos pulling everything and the rest just hanging around for the show. It looks great though. These little locos could actually pull much longer heavy freight solo. (it's common to have yearly excursion trains with 5 hungarian Nohab/GM units on the head, but usually only the first or first two locos are actually pulling and the rest are just there for the photos)

39 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Ah, okay. Why so many "for pictures", though?

First it looks cool. I can't say much about the japanese train, except that it was the Paleo express, which is a tourist train and normally runs with a steam locomotive and a single backup electric locomotive. Imho this was for a railfan event,  which is a pretty sure way to get the train full.

ps: The surviving hungarian nohabs take this yearly trip to their last in service enginehouse as they were stationed at Tapolca near lake Balaton towards the end of their life. It's at the end of one of the last remaining non electrified mainlines (the lake Balaton north shore line) that is going straight through one of the most popular tourist areas and these locos were also used to pull 'bathing' trains, essentially resort limited expresses from everywhere in the country to lake Balaton. This and being one of the few western locos in the east block made them very popular. When i was a child, a long nosed locomotive meant we are going on a vacation, anything else meant we are visiting relatives. A video about one of these trips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ_7neOEcrM (only the first two are actually pulling and the last one and the generator car at the back is providing hotel power for the cars) And a double train event, where one went on the south and the other on the north shore route then back on the other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIw8A2gVo9g 

Edited by kvp

Ah.

I can see tossing an extra diesel on the end for a generator, though. We do that in the US for most steam excursions as pretty much all of our coaches require Head End Power. I know NKP 765 ususally has a diesel on the end for HEP and so they can see when in reverse. Soo Line 1003 carries around two GP30s to help it power the coaches and to help with mountains. WM 734 had a couple of ALCo locs to help it with grades and for HEP, although I think it could support the coaches on it's own such as (the much bigger) N&W 611.

I forgot about that, there was a history to it as well. We had it somewhere here but I can’t find it.

one on thenlayout list.

jeff