There is a prototype for everything... (Japan Rail)

Nope. That picture is taken at Tazawa Station on the Shinonoi Line, which is owned by JR East. This E231-500 was just released from Nagano vehicle center and is on its way to Mitaka vehicle center. It is not that rare to see Kanto area commuter trains there, although it is certainly fascinating.

• Thanks 1

Here is a JNR 169 series on an 'Shiga' Express service originating from Ueno at Nagano Dentetsu Yudanaka Station. These train services ran somewhere during the 70s-80s. You can find another picture on this website.

• Like 2

Or what about Toyama Chiho Railway through trains? An attempt at an overview:

• Meitetsu KiHa 8000 series Ltd. Express 'Alpen Tateyama'
  • JNR KiHa 58 series Express 'Murodo'
  • JNR 455 series Express 'Tateyama'
  • JR West 485 series Ltd. Express 'Super Raicho Tateyama'
  • JR West 681 series Ltd. Express 'Thunderbird Tateyama'
  • KuMoYa 443 measuring vehicle

Kintetsu through service on the Keihan Main Line? That sounds so ridiculous it can't be true.

That moment when the imitation vinyl cover of your N gauge freight car accidentally drops off.

• Haha 3

Japanese workers are always professional, and would never make a rude gesture at a photographer.  😄

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I heard yo and yo dawg likes yo yos so we put yo dawg in yo yo yo so yo dawg can yo yo while yo yo yo.

• Haha 3
On 6/28/2018 at 12:37 PM, Khaul said:

Great defor! Which museum is this?

I don't know the exact name of the museum, but it's at Ageki on the Sangi Railway's 762mm gauge Hokusei line. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageki_Station

The red EMU car is a former Mie Kotsu/Kintetsu Mo220 that introduced electrification on the Hokusei line in 1931. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn
On 7/3/2018 at 5:42 AM, Densha said:

Kintetsu through service on the Keihan Main Line? That sounds so ridiculous it can't be true.

Through running was done 1945~1968.  Junction was Tanbabashi.  It ended because Kintetsu was converting to 1500v DC while Keihan still stuck to 600v for a few more years, and the flat junction at Tanbabashi was an impediment to more frequent services.

• Thanks 2

So, you're raising your platform height to be compatible with modern standardized stock, and you run out of tarmac before you reach the end of the platform, but fortunately after the farthest position your modern standardized stock will stop?

omiya-station-platform.jpg\\

Seen at Omiya Station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

So, you're raising your platform height to be compatible with modern standardized stock, and you run out of tarmac before you reach the end of the platform, but fortunately after the farthest position your modern standardized stock will stop?

In my local area, most of the platforms undergone a similar treatment to accomodate level-boarding on Ale 711 EMUs of the Milan Suburban Network, altough they literally just added a new layer of concrete over the older ones for the couple hundred meters strictly necessary.

https://www.google.it/maps/@45.3259749,9.4048377,67m/data=!3m1!1e3

You can still see the older, lower and thicker platform practically unchanged below the new layer.

7620964_MGTHUMB-INTERNA.jpg

Both are pictures of Melegnano station on the Milano-Bologna line.

The fence was added after three people were hit and killed by a train each in a different day in a span of one week.

That picture at the beginning with the lonely KiHa (?...still learning E/DMUs) make me want to have that as a model. 

Edited by GDorsett
On 7/15/2018 at 10:10 AM, marknewton said:

I don't know the exact name of the museum, but it's at Ageki on the Sangi Railway's 762mm gauge Hokusei line. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageki_Station

The red EMU car is a former Mie Kotsu/Kintetsu Mo220 that introduced electrification on the Hokusei line in 1931. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks and sorry for not answering earlier- I just thought it was an interesting usage of rails, and had quite the laugh seeing the EMU 'sharing' the rails with the bicycle cars, and they even have a little turntable to turn the EMU around in the middle of the loop!

When you think "screw it, I'll just run every locomotive at once, who cares where they ran"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

When you think "screw it, I'll just run every locomotive at once, who cares where they ran"

JR East moving all their locos to/from Takasaki. haha

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Now that is one amazing shot! Line up all your locomotives! Do only one locomotive, i.e. the EF65-509, operates while the rest are in neutral being dragged along? 

Claude_Dreyfus
On 6/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, Densha said:

Nope. That picture is taken at Tazawa Station on the Shinonoi Line, which is owned by JR East. This E231-500 was just released from Nagano vehicle center and is on its way to Mitaka vehicle center. It is not that rare to see Kanto area commuter trains there, although it is certainly fascinating.

Interesting. The more I see of the Shinonoi line, the more it appears that anything goes... especially with the moving of stuff to and from the Nagano vehicle centre.

1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Now that is one amazing shot! Line up all your locomotives! Do only one locomotive, i.e. the EF65-509, operates while the rest are in neutral being dragged along? 

I imagine the EF30 and EF70 would not run very well on the Shin'etsu line with their pantographs up 😉

Edited by railsquid

Found a video on Youtube of an EF5

65 pulling an 3-unit EMU set of some sort behind 8 WaMu 350000 boxcars...

If I can find it again, I will share.

Edited by GDorsett