The last day of Tobu 1800系 operations

Sacto1985

YouTube member azumatakeshi filmed a video of a trip on the last run of Tobu 1800系 train 1819F on May 20, 2018:

The train essentially ran the route of the Ryōmō limited express service, particularly from Tobu Isesaki Station all the way back to Tobu Asakusa Station via the Tobu Isesaki and SkyTree lines.

YouTube member (and JNS forum member) ayokoi also uploaded a video of this last run:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It should be noted 1800系 1819F was the very last unmodified 1800系 train set still operational, used on charter and excursion services. A small number of 1800系 train sets were modified to the currently running 300系/350系 train sets used on the Kirifuri and Shimotsuke limited express services on the Tobu Nikko Line. The question now is how long will the 300系/350系 continue to operate before additional orders for the 500系 Revaty train sets in the near future finally displace them.

If i'm not wrong, is the 200系 still running Ryomo services? Or are they all being replaced by the Revaty? The 200系 was released onto service in 1991 (according to wiki) which makes them 27 years old, and the 100系 Spacia released onto service in 1990 which makes them almost 28 years old...

22 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

If i'm not wrong, is the 200系 still running Ryomo services? Or are they all being replaced by the Revaty? The 200系 was released onto service in 1991 (according to wiki) which makes them 27 years old, and the 100系 Spacia released onto service in 1990 which makes them almost 28 years old...

The 100系 Spacia and 200系 are far newer than this 1800系 trainset (most 1800's were built in the 1970's). I expect those to last until after 2020, when there may be a new type of limited express train set or (my opinion!) more 500系 Revaty train sets are built.

9 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

The 100系 Spacia and 200系 are far newer than this 1800系 trainset (most 1800's were built in the 1970's). I expect those to last until after 2020, when there may be a new type of limited express train set or (my opinion!) more 500系 Revaty train sets are built.

The 200 series might be the first to be replaced by the 500 series because it is far more technically obsolete, as it was built using parts salvaged from withdrawn 1700 and 1720 series trainsets (1956) such as the old resistor control, motors and seats, than the 100 series (wich was introduced in 1990), altough the only 250 series set introduced in 1998 (wich is aestetically identical to the 200 series) might last a decade more due to being an entirely newly built set with up-to-date components (such as the IGBT-VVVF control).

Edited by Socimi
fixed typos
  • Like 1

Is it possible that 200系 train sets 201 to 209 get rebuilt to 250系 standards over the next few years? That could extend their lives by 8-10 years.

Edited by Sacto1985

Extensive rebuilding into a complete new generation until the parts really become unusable seems to be Tōbu's thing. The most recent example being the 20000 series being rebuilt into 4-car formations for rural operations. So, it could even be that the 200 series will be rebuilt into a completely new train, or get a complete mechanical renovation that surpasses the 250 Series, as the mechanical parts are almost ancient.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

I really wonder will Tobu refurbish the 200系 train sets given their very ancient mechanical systems. Especially now with the 500系 Revaty train sets now running on the Tobu Nikko, Tobu Kinugawa and Aizu lines--it may be just easier to buy new 500系 train sets with slightly denser seating.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:38 AM, Sacto1985 said:

I really wonder will Tobu refurbish the 200系 train sets given their very ancient mechanical systems. Especially now with the 500系 Revaty train sets now running on the Tobu Nikko, Tobu Kinugawa and Aizu lines--it may be just easier to buy new 500系 train sets with slightly denser seating.

Yep, they probably will be directly scrapped as there is no need to rebuild something that has already been rebuilt once.

From YouTube user azumatakeshi, this video shows the start of the process to dismantle the last 1800系 train set:

2 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

From YouTube user azumatakeshi, this video shows the start of the process to dismantle the last 1800系 train set:

At 6:30 you get a good wiew of what probably is one of the three former Hibiya Line 03 series trainsets that will be sold to Kumamoto Dentetsu in Kyushu.

11 hours ago, Socimi said:

At 6:30 you get a good wiew of what probably is one of the three former Hibiya Line 03 series trainsets that will be sold to Kumamoto Dentetsu in Kyushu.

This is when i start to think if the set was shortened to a minimal working size (3 or 4 cars), then the rest of the cars could provide spares for a very long time of museum operation. After that, the set would be old enough to be a nice static exhibit.