Full size German loco pulled by 198 HO models

splifdfx

Almost 200 BR182 HO locos try to pull a full-sized BR101 loco.

German-speaking documentary but still fun images to watch.

• Like 6

So was this like a myth Busters? Who paid for the 200 locos? Or did the company just use them and then sell them as special editions for having pulled a real loco?!

Jeff

I've seen videos of "strong men" pulling a train engine - it would be fun to see model trains pulling a strong man ;-)

Jeff, from what I understood, the feat was organized and done by the people behind the MIniatur Wunderland in Hamburg (http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/).
I guess they thus had enough money to buy the first 200 locos.
After their initial test, some locos broke down and they've scouted all hobby shops in the vicinity to find replacements, also posting for help (= searching for locos) on Facebook.
But they don't tell what they've done with them after the feat.

Charles, in the video, at around 7:51, you can see one of the organisators, not looking that strong, pulling the full-size loco by himself.
The commentator at the same time explains that it is in fact easy to pull a loco by oneself because of the very low friction and very small area of contact between the wheel and the rail and because both metals are very hard.

• Like 2

During the first test, one person is able to hold back all of them with a rope. Then one person is able to pull the 1:1 locomotive with the same type of rope. This means almost 200 weighted down H0 locomotives have almost same pulling force as one average human. Impressive!

ps: It would be interesting to know how much power went into them while pulling...

Jeff, from what I understood, the feat was organized and done by the people behind the MIniatur Wunderland in Hamburg (http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de/).

I guess they thus had enough money to buy the first 200 locos.

After their initial test, some locos broke down and they've scouted all hobby shops in the vicinity to find replacements, also posting for help (= searching for locos) on Facebook.

But they don't tell what they've done with them after the feat.

Charles, in the video, at around 7:51, you can see one of the organisators, not looking that strong, pulling the full-size loco by himself.

The commentator at the same time explains that it is in fact easy to pull a loco by oneself because of the very low friction and very small area of contact between the wheel and the rail and because both metals are very hard.

That's right.

Commentator also said it's extremely important to clean the rails (both large and small) for small bits / dirt from setup can block the large wheel enough to stop the model locos.

more like strong money

As they most likely got the first 200 locos discounted it's not even such a big investment for them. It can also be expected that part of it was even sponsored by DB. It's PR after all.

The video is in German, but it's pretty easy to follow what's going on just by watching.

Edited by cteno4
Merged to existing thread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing engineering.

It was funny.   A few of the little guys started to derail and the project manager said to let them be, they would just get pulled along for the ride.

• Like 1