Takahachikawa

railsquid

Good thing is there are a lot of those weird interfaces out there I’ve seen between embankment track, trestles and viaduct track and usually pretty odd looking. Last time I was google street viewing for road crossing trestles/track I remembered moving form looking at the trestle/Bridge design and more at the really odd interface bits at each end they were so weird looking on some! 

jeff

• Like 1

Having spent a bit of time looking at viaduct and bridge sides, happily for the modeller there seem to be all kinds of variants out there.

Meanwhile, a cameo shot from the Musashino Line, supposedly on one of the stretches which runs through snatches of remaining countryside.

50122189768_b5554e2bcd_z.jpg

musashino-line-image-2020-07-17_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(The view through the interior cab windows of the 209-500 series is surprisingly real, I notice).

• Like 7
9 hours ago, railsquid said:

I realise I need to acquire some actual container trucks.

The good news is once you get few they start to multiply like rabbits...

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I need some foxes here, my container trucks have been eating me out of house and home...

They have certainly added to the auction bill here!

Well before anyone bundles up their surplus trucks in a sack and throws them in the river I'm more than willing to provide a caring home environment with plenty of activity structured play activity ;).

Though I suppose I'd better don the hazmat suit and venture out in to the socially distanced second hand emporia of Tokyo first...

Just get a pair, but make sure you get a girl and a boy one and you should be set with some time... Don’t ask me how to tell one from another though...

jeff

Lol! I had a friend that I worked with at the saint Louis zoo that bred bunnies as a hobby and one visit I ended up hold the adolescent bunnies so he could try the pop out test on them but it’s not all that reliable! Biologists can be odd when they get together, but just like being back on the farm at my grandmas!

jeff

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Lol! I had a friend that I worked with at the saint Louis zoo that bred bunnies as a hobby and one visit I ended up hold the adolescent bunnies so he could try the pop out test on them but it’s not all that reliable! Biologists can be odd when they get together, but just like being back on the farm at my grandmas!

I am imagining Jeff holding up bemused rabbits while his friend pops out from unexpected places to check their reactions.

Meanwhile I suspect an active trap, neuter and return policy is in place in Shinjuku, as no container trucks were to be found anywhere.

I did come back with a pair of the Tomix container forklifts, which aren't exactly the most detailed models but Will Do For Providing Atmosphere.

50198573171_b670da58fa_z.jpg

container-yard-entrance-2020-08-07_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, railsquid said:

I did come back with a pair of the Tomix container forklifts, which aren't exactly the most detailed models but Will Do For Providing Atmosphere.

While they could still use some more detail, I don't feel so badly about them after coming across this forklift parked out at the Oarai Ferry Terminal (which will be getting rail access to the container yard on our layout!):
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3097903,140.5750996,2a,90y,132.44h,71.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swJudv3fDKqNh7rTmpnpkAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

Turns out I do have a container truck, albeit of the very big international type, which would be too big for this mini-terminal but will do for a bit of atmosphere.

Getting the entrance/exit crossing in place, which is a little tricky as it crosses a line on an incline at an angle, but it is kind of working out.

50211078257_0c636c43af_z.jpg

container-yard-entrance-2020-08-10_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 4

Perhaps they are like mice and spontaneous generation might work.  Just leave a pile of 12' containers in a corner for awhile and see if any trucks appear.

1 minute ago, Cat said:

Perhaps they are like mice and spontaneous generation might work.  Just leave a pile of 12' containers in a corner for awhile and see if any trucks appear.

now there’s no science there, just black magic and mice! 😜

jeff

On 8/7/2020 at 7:50 AM, railsquid said:

I really do like the Kato ones but the price is always what turns me off to them. Plus they always seem to be out of stock at HS. I do need a toplifter though, I only have the larger ones that are generally for 40 foot containers and not the smaller ones used on 20 foot containers and tank containers. The Tomix ones are definitely just good enough, the new ones are also a big improvement over the old model with decals. Once you add some more containers and trucks you don't even notice the forklifts as much!

I have a set of the Kato forklifts and one of their top lifters. They are a bit pricey but they are very nice models. They have turning rear wheels which is a bit unnecessary but you can model them making those textbook manoeuvres between containers. Also lots of details to add for lights, wing/rear mirrors etc..

Personally I think the Tomix ones look like something from a cereal box but they could probably painted up to look a bit better. With all the lovely Tomytec vehicles I don’t know how Tomix are happy to put these on general sale.

Edited by Kamome
Das Steinkopf
On 3 September 2020 at 9:38 PM, Kamome said:

Nice find. Those containers are a bit dated so probably need weathering and putting somewhere overgrown as yard storage. 

I purchased a 3 pack of C20's recently for exactly that purpose, I just need to get rid of some more LEGO from the shed and I will start building my yard modules. 

On 3 September 2020 at 10:28 AM, Kamome said:

I have a set of the Kato forklifts and one of their top lifters. They are a bit pricey but they are very nice models. They have turning rear wheels which is a bit unnecessary but you can model them making those textbook manoeuvres between containers. Also lots of details to add for lights, wing/rear mirrors etc..

Personally I think the Tomix ones look like something from a cereal box but they could probably painted up to look a bit better. With all the lovely Tomytec vehicles I don’t know how Tomix are happy to put these on general sale.

I have to agree with you, the Kato FD115's and FD300 are very nice models and once you add all of the detail parts and paint them you have a top notch model.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:24 PM, railsquid said:

Ooh, didn't realise Kato did some too, mind you at 3 times the price.

Even better, the next run of them just went up for preorder today!