Takahachikawa

railsquid

Unfortunately even similar things can get different listing titles on HS and other shops. Also shop to shop will have different English title and sometimes very different!

also check on the top of the left hand nav column for the “category menu” dropdown and choose “item series list” and you get premade searches for the major series like the visual scenery, car collections, etc.

sankei also has some

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138628

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138627

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10138626

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10217744

cheers,

jeff

2 hours ago, marknewton said:

The car driven by Takumi Fujiwara in Initial D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_D

Err OK thanks, I should probably point out that I am living proof that living in Japan does not automatically make one an expert on anime/manga stuff (though I have recently, by osmosis, gained a deep understanding of Japanese children's television).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
12 hours ago, railsquid said:

Happily it seems in 1:150 World, things are quite normal and the local festival is taking place as scheduled.

49798259312_1509cf89c3_z.jpg

matsuri-2020-04-20_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Haha to make it more 'prototypical' masks would be required on the figures and they have to be placed at least 6.67mm apart (1m social distancing)  😛

• Like 1
4 hours ago, railsquid said:

Err OK thanks, I should probably point out that I am living proof that living in Japan does not automatically make one an expert on anime/manga stuff (though I have recently, by osmosis, gained a deep understanding of Japanese children's television).

No worries - I also know almost nothing about anime or manga. Only reason I know about AE86s is that one of my workmates has one. And a copy of the movie.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, JR 500系 said:

Haha to make it more 'prototypical' masks would be required on the figures and they have to be placed at least 6.67mm apart (1m social distancing)  😛

Nah, like I said, in the world depicted here, certain trans-species viral jumps never took place and right now Golden Week is in full swing.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, marknewton said:

No worries - I also know almost nothing about anime or manga. Only reason I know about AE86s is that one of my workmates has one. And a copy of the movie.

Back in the days when I could leave Japan with full reassurance they'd let me back in, I occasionally ended up having conversations like this:

Them: (rabbits on in depth about some Japan thing like anime or sumo or sushi or whatever)

Me: (blank face) "Did you know Japan is the fourth-largest producer of cabbages?"

• Haha 8

Ploughing on, one small task at a time... Here I have finally got round to creating the first part of the next crossing along the road where the festival above is taking place:

49823985878_b6a34564cd_z.jpg

rear-road-crossing-2020-04-26_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(the diagonal grey bit next to the rail, which is actually from the Tomix tram track adapter kit, but which are excellent for this purpose).

• Like 6
8 hours ago, railsquid said:

Them: (rabbits on in depth about some Japan thing like anime or sumo or sushi or whatever)

Me: (blank face) "Did you know Japan is the fourth-largest producer of cabbages?"

Are they really? 🤔

Mark.

11 hours ago, railsquid said:

No, I did not know that.  But did recently discover that Ibaraki produces the most bell peppers in Japan. It's the one food in the nightshade family that I can't eat though.

Them: (Nattering on about a celebrity type and/or sportsball player)

Me:  (Thinking hard face) I don't think I know this person, have I ever met them?

railsquid
On 4/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, railsquid said:

Ploughing on, one small task at a time... Here I have finally got round to creating the first part of the next crossing along the road where the festival above is taking place:

49823985878_b6a34564cd_z.jpg

rear-road-crossing-2020-04-26_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(the diagonal grey bit next to the rail, which is actually from the Tomix tram track adapter kit, but which are excellent for this purpose).

A quick call to Crossings'R'Us got it finished off in almost no time at all.

49841829207_e15ed81488_z.jpg

rear-road-crossing-2020-05-01_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The crossing parts are from the Tomytec Diocolle collection so not the sharpest, but I realised it's possible to remove the individual parts from the clunky base and rearrange them to taste, particularly making sure the barrier pole itself is at a more normal height.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 6
railsquid

Meanwhile, "ballasting" underway at the front of the layout:

49869639391_761e0ce69a_z.jpg

depot-approaches-2020-05-08_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(By "ballasting" I mean mainly reusing ballasted strips from my original layout, will fill in the gaps and smooth it all down later).

While that was going on, I tidied up the rear of the layout a bit and knocked off a few outstanding miscellaneous tasks, none of which is anything special but fills in some awkward gaps (not all of them alas).

49873923658_73f037240b_z.jpg

depot-rear-2020-05-09_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

And it occurred to me that I can use a mirror to get some shots of hard-to-see places which would otherwise require some awkward contortions, and horizontally flip the resulting image, here looking at the rear of the loco sheds:

49873923583_ba8cd55891_z.jpg

depot-rear-2020-05-09_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 7

Meanwhile at the front of the layout there is this whole undecided area which has been gathering dust and miscellaneous debris since forever, which I have finally cleared up and decided it can become a small container terminal with a single siding for now (surely there must be one of those somewhere).

49897688697_2c969fbca2_z.jpg

layout-front-area-2020-05-15_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
ranger10178
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Meanwhile at the front of the layout there is this whole undecided area which has been gathering dust and miscellaneous debris since forever, which I have finally cleared up and decided it can become a small container terminal with a single siding for now (surely there must be one of those somewhere).

49897688697_2c969fbca2_z.jpg

layout-front-area-2020-05-15_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I've seen a few single road container terminals in my google maps searches. I think one was on Shikoku. I'll see if I can find it again.

• Like 1

Cool thanks, the Niihama one is just the kind of setup I was looking for.

As an added bonus I see the Google Streetview car was lucky enough to get a shot of the exceedingly rare pneumatic-tyred  EF210 😉

niihama-ef210.thumb.jpg.b65fbdc137c04936fdbede967cf4e107.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

exceedingly rare pneumatic-tyred EF210 

"Sapporo Subway announces plans  for JR trough-services. JR Freight sends test locomotive to the wrong island

Edited by Socimi
  • Haha 1

New service train can withdraw rail wheels and become road train to get to those pesky places rails don’t reach. Out of my way you puny little autos!

jeff

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, railsquid said:

Cool thanks, the Niihama one is just the kind of setup I was looking for.

Via this post:

I notice there's a single road container terminal at Ryuo Station:

https://goo.gl/maps/ERvav5MEWmmqAUBBA

which is most excellent for my purposes as it's on the Chuo Line, which this layout nominally represents.

• Like 2

An unplated EF57 takes a well-deserved rest on a siding in the locomotive depot:

49930510761_c1b14bb451_z.jpg

depot-approaches-2020-05-24_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is the Kato version, which is very nice but later versions are known for the unfortunate tendency of their rather lightweight plastic leading bogies to derail at the slightest hint of uneven track, so makes an excellent test loco for pointwork and newly laid track, a task which it mastered with flying colours, so as a reward I will finally get round to attaching some numberplates.

• Like 3
Pauljag900
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

An unplated EF57 takes a well-deserved rest on a siding in the locomotive depot:

49930510761_c1b14bb451_z.jpg

depot-approaches-2020-05-24_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is the Kato version, which is very nice but later versions are known for the unfortunate tendency of their rather lightweight plastic leading bogies to derail at the slightest hint of uneven track, so makes an excellent test loco for pointwork and newly laid track, a task which it mastered with flying colours, so as a reward I will finally get round to attaching some numberplates.

I. Love the shape of these locos👍😀there s a tomix ef15 for sale on eBay that I m very tempted by,just in case I start again!! 😂😂