Takahachikawa

railsquid

Always nice to see pics from your layout. 

Are those tunnel portals from Woodland Scenics? I’m thinking of buying some of theirs 

6 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Are those tunnel portals from Woodland Scenics? I’m thinking of buying some of theirs 

Tomytec (horseshoe-shaped one), TGW (red brick one) and Greenmax (double concrete one).

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Did they come pre-coloured, or did you have to paint them yourself?

Pre-coloured, like all Tomytec structures :)

My approach to building this layout is iterative and modular, so I put things in place as-is, and when the mood or the need strikes me I can improve them without having to dismantle and rebuild half the scenery.

• Like 2

The modular approach seems to be working very well. It certainly seems to encourage iterative improvements. 

I’m going to see if I can’t adopt some of this philosophy. 

21 hours ago, railsquid said:

Oh, and it is a lot more comfortable being able to work on bits of scenery in the comfort of one's own "workbench", rather than balanced precariously over the layout 🙂

I totally agree! It's great to build in modules! But I often have the problem of the modules not 'joining' in as exactly as I thought it would...

By the way, great work on the layout as always! Love that mini excavator! Cant wait to see what excavators and low loaders Truck Collection 12 will bring!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I totally agree! It's great to build in modules! But I often have the problem of the modules not 'joining' in as exactly as I thought it would...

That is unfortunately unavoidable, though it's working out better than I imagined.

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

By the way, great work on the layout as always! Love that mini excavator! Cant wait to see what excavators and low loaders Truck Collection 12 will bring!  🙂

FWIW the mini excavator is from Kato.

Anyway it fills the (rather dark) space, and another bit of plywood is hidden:

47145436131_3b7b2d2da3_z.jpg

random-maintenance-yard-2019-02-18_03 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

40180473073_b6b6332998_z.jpg

random-maintenance-yard-2019-02-18_04 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I hope, at some point in the dim and distant future, to paint/weather the plasticky Tomix bridge supports, but they will do for now.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5

Evil evil JR making me consider buying a Tobu "Spacia" unit because it would be prototypical for the western section of the Chuo Line in Tokyo...

• Haha 3